Halley Paradox?

Discussion in 'Planetary Annihilation General Discussion' started by Geers, March 13, 2014.

1. Geers

Geers Post Master General

What would happen in a hypothetical situation where two opposing sides both built Halleys on the same body and gave conflicting "Annihilate" orders at the exact same time?

Personally I've got my finger crossed for planetary implosion.
  2. Teod

Teod Well-Known Member

This situation can already be tested in the game. Halleys block eachother. One Halley on enemy side counts as minus one on your. So you can't use them until you have advantage.
  3. YourLocalMadSci

YourLocalMadSci Well-Known Member

They can't.

The number of halleys built is the net number available to each side, subtracting the other sides. Suppose player A has three halleys, and player B has two. This counts as a net of 1 halley owned by player A. Only one player can ever have enough halleys in order to access the annihilate button.

If you want a conundrum, I would be more interested in seeing what happens when an asteroid is targeted at a body which is itself already in motion due to it being targeted at something else. I've not yet see someone try that.
  4. Geers

Geers Post Master General

Well that's disappointing. I was kinda hoping for some hilarious physics bug where the planet vanished into another dimension or something.
    tehtrekd and hearmyvoice like this.
  5. BulletsFrozen

BulletsFrozen Active Member

lol Geers, dont worry we all were :(.
    Geers likes this.
  6. puppeh

puppeh Member

That's what actually crossed my mind when I read the OP, with two planets fired at each other at the same time :)
  7. BulletsFrozen

BulletsFrozen Active Member

I guess they would move out of each others orbit path and glitch out of the system forever?
  8. aevs

aevs Post Master General

I tried a few things like this a while back, pretty sure they both end up in the sun when the first planet is smashed. Once I tried targeting a planet and then targeting that planet with the planet it was targeting, I think the scenario led to both planets being flung into deep space trying to play catchup (or was that the one where I tried to send a planet into its own moon? Or it might have been 3 bodies I did that with. I forget now).
    I haven't tried this stuff recently though, so I've got a feeling it's been changed/fixed since then.

Oh, that reminds me; what's the plan with halley'd planets that have moons?
    When a planet is sent off with halleys, its moon should either move with it or continue on at its velocity at the time, and should get a new orbit around the sun based on that velocity. So if its orbit ever bring it in retrograde motion around the sun, there's a chance of sending it kareening into the sun if you get the timing right (or wrong).
    I wouldn't suggest moving the moon alongside the planet, because that might cause some very strange behaviour, but I don't know if the other method goes against wysiwyg too much.
  9. rancor47

rancor47 Member

Let the moon of the planet move with the planet and it will become the moon of the smashed planet :p
    wheeledgoat likes this.
  10. doctoraxel

doctoraxel Active Member

Haaaaaaa that would be hilarious. And totally improbable. And awesome. =P
    wheeledgoat likes this.
  11. lapantouflemagic

lapantouflemagic Active Member

damn, now i want the answer to that question ^^

if someone tries, i hope he will send us the video
  12. bigdumbobject

bigdumbobject New Member

If a halley is destroyed while ignited, what happens?
  13. tatsujb

tatsujb Post Master General

yea about that.

I drives me nuts that that's how it works but your haleys and the enemy's halley's can be completely crisscrossed and it still works that way.

I wish SIDES where important.

I wish that placing a halley on the opposing side of your own halley would be -1 YOURS.
    lapantouflemagic likes this.
  14. mered4

mered4 Post Master General

I DID THAT!

It was kinda funny.
    The first planet destroyed the main planet, and the second one kept looping around in a massive elliptical orbit. It could still be reached by orbital units, so if the other guy had still been alive, the fight would have continued on. :p
  15. lapantouflemagic

lapantouflemagic Active Member

i think what we meant was this situation.

one planet, two asteroids.

asteroid A targets asteroid B + asteroid B targets asteroid A

sit and watch :cool:
    ozonexo3 likes this.