Unit Cannon Ideas/Questions; a picture too!

Discussion in 'Planetary Annihilation General Discussion' started by squishypon3, March 11, 2014.

1. neutrino

neutrino low mass particle Uber Employee

Correct. It's about prioritization. The 1.0 release is simply another milestone in development for us, but it's a critical one where we open the game up to a larger user population.

Again also let me restate that the kickstarter video is simply a visualization tool. Things change, real life priorities and what the game actually are have a much bigger effect on what we prioritize.

The way that you guys react when I say stuff makes me want to talk less BTW. Would rather have the truth or do you want us to start bullshitting you like every big game publisher does?
  2. neutrino

neutrino low mass particle Uber Employee

You know what they say about opinions...
    tollman, FSN1977, iron420 and 4 others like this.
  3. sirscruff

sirscruff Member

...that everyone has them.
  4. MrTBSC

MrTBSC Post Master General

like something something you have between your buttcheeks ...
  5. Dementiurge

Dementiurge Post Master General

"And they all stink."

Don't forget the most important part!
  6. squishypon3

squishypon3 Post Master General

Hey again, I'd really like to apologize for this whole thing. I never meant for this to happen, I honestly just wanted to have a discussion with other players and possibly you at UBER but I never meant to make people feel like you weren't living up to your promises I feel you guys at UBER are doing a fantastic job making this game I was just trying to bring up some questions on future balancing, etc.. I'm sorry for the potential stressing this probably caused you. I just honestly feel like there really is a problem with planetary invasions at the moment and the only ones that are here are pretty much impossible to do. I never meant try and pressure you and I do believe you guys have the better say. I understand how difficult it is to work on a game and I'm sorry for all the pressure and stress.

Edit:
    I feel like a lot of people really blew it out of proportion and I'm sorry for being the root cause of it all by opening this forum in the first place.
    Last edited: March 13, 2014
    corteks likes this.
  7. chronosoul

chronosoul Well-Known Member

Don't take all the pressure on your shoulders, the unit cannon is on all our minds.It had to be talked about at one point or another. It's good to have these threads and I hope you keep making them.
    corteks likes this.
  8. matty999

matty999 New Member

I think it's ridiculous how the dev team acts as if people are being self-entitled when they ask about the progress of an iconic feature of the game.
  9. EdgarAlanPWN

EdgarAlanPWN New Member

Did you read this thread and the amount of dev bashing that went on? The dev responded quickly, probably because they are WORKING, and getting on the forum is because they WANT to answer our questions, and it resulted in a lot of criticism that was very negative.

corteks and stuart98 like this.
  10. aevs

aevs Post Master General

I've got a feeling a lot of people share my bad habit, in that I only really bring things up that I have a problem with.
    If something is A-okay, I don't mention it because it's already how I like it. There are lots of things I love about the game already, the planets are looking great, the scale of the game is fantastic, the different unit types are great, and I'm especially impressed with the rate new content has been added to the game, which easily shows up any other early access title I know of.
    The issue is that I never really need to tell you guys this stuff, I take it for granted that you know I love the game, so the only feedback I give regularly is unsolicited suggestions and the few things I may not like.

Keep up the great work, and try not to let the amount of negativity get to you too much. ;)
    We all love to hear how things are going, but it can hard to keep from being back-seat drivers. :rolleyes:
    Last edited: March 13, 2014
    vyolin, iron420 and stuart98 like this.
  11. matty999

matty999 New Member

The devs are not babies they should be able to take criticism without throwing tantrums. This situation was handled very poorly.
    iron420 likes this.
  12. Clopse

Clopse Post Master General

How was it handled poorly? By telling us exactly why the plan was and people not agreeing with it? And yes they are not babies, they regular people like us. Yeah they may have a higher tolerance for criticism but doesn't mean they like it or have to lay down and take it from us.

I know it's rich this coming from me but sometimes we got to stand back at let them get on with it.
    corteks, FSN1977, MrTBSC and 2 others like this.
  13. BulletMagnet

BulletMagnet Post Master General

corteks, aevs and iron420 like this.
  14. iron420

iron420 Well-Known Member

I'd also like to add that the reason (for me at least) for being so hard on Uber, writing huge posts and debating all day is because we care. The success of this game is very important to us. If it wasn't we wouldn't take the time.
  15. LavaSnake

LavaSnake Post Master General

Yes, but at the same time we need to respect the devs. Uber's done an EPIC job on PA so far and has also done a great job of communicating with us so they deserve a little respect and patience on our part. We also need to remember that this is what they're best at, and they have lots of experience making games (including RTS games). As a result they know what they're doing and we don't need to panic or doubt them until they give us a good reason to (which they haven't).

So in other words, Uber is awesome and we don't need to worry about PA. It's in good hands.
    shotforce13 likes this.
  16. shotforce13

shotforce13 Well-Known Member

Not everyone is going to share your views including Uber. Its arogant to attack the devs because your personal agenda is not
    Being pushed or met.

They are allowing us to have input into this game, they could just say screw you guys im building this game how i see fit, but there here and listening. Lighten up, you dont spit in the face of the farmer that feeds you.
    LavaSnake likes this.
  17. rancor47

rancor47 Member

Alright! So we want planetary invasions and we need a solution without adding units. Lets create some ideas how to do that.

What if the austraeus could drop its units without going down to the planet? Than you don't have to fight air before landing and orbit will be important as defense. Especially if there is a delay between arrival to a planet and the possibility to drop units. Maybe a ferry system like in supcom will make it even less micro

I have been thinking about austraeus going down to the planet, maybe it needs a tractor beam or magnets of some sort.
  18. doctoraxel

doctoraxel Active Member

I suggested interorbital air units in another thread - basically allowing Tier 2 air units to access the orbital layer on low-gravity worlds, and then make short-range S-Moves from there. If their destination was a higher-gravity world the trip would be one-way.

This would allow weight of numbers to be more easily brought to bear when trying to attack an enemy world, and it would allow land units to be dropped on enemy planets using the tier 2 transport airship - but in both cases they'd be subject to orbital and anti-air defenses.
  19. shotforce13

shotforce13 Well-Known Member

Thats why i think the austraeus should be one way, like the kickstarter concept.

What ever unit you put into it is guaranteed to make it to the surface, how
    Long it survives once unloaded is a different story.
  20. rancor47

rancor47 Member

what if the austraeus could pick up air units and drop them in an atmosphere?