Kerbal Space Program

Discussion in 'Unrelated Discussion' started by Col_Jessep, September 11, 2013.

1. VindiGator

VindiGator New Member

I was going to say needs moar boosters but it looks like you have that covered lol
    Geers likes this.
  2. Geers

Geers Post Master General

The first one actually works quite well. Until it breaks:

[​IMG]
    VindiGator and cwarner7264 like this.
  3. Col_Jessep

Col_Jessep Moderator Alumni

This means you are back to: Needs moar struts... xD
    Let's hope 0.24 really has a better joint and attachment system like Squad said. I got kind of sick of random parts falling off my rockets on the launchpad.
    cwarner7264 likes this.
  4. thetrophysystem

thetrophysystem Post Master General

please make my ship stop falling apart for no reason on launch.
  5. Geers

Pro tip: Make the rocket not crap.
  6. VindiGator

VindiGator New Member

I can't wait for bigger, better ships! My laptop cries every time I launch one of these babies. Here's the largest rover I've ever sent outside Kerbin's SOI. Easter Egg within...The Duna Rover Base.
    Room for 15 Kerbals, I recommend 3 minimum. 1 pilot and 2 lab techs. All the science gathering and sensor gizmos are located on the top deck.
    Col_Jessep likes this.
  7. Col_Jessep

Well, you can strut everything up like crazy but that drives the part count up and nobody want's to suffer through massive lag. The whole problem becomes even more pronounced when you play Real Solar System. Yes, I know, I could just play stock but RSS is a really new and unique experience. It's not just building rockets with more delta-v. Getting them into orbit requires an entirely different flight profile, you need a better understanding of orbital mechanics than in stock and much more foresight and planning. The last thing you want is engines randomly falling off your fuel tanks at that point... ;)
  8. Geers

Bah, you probably didn't need it anyway.
  9. Col_Jessep

Actually, one of my RSS rockets lost three booster engines at some point and still made it into orbit. It was just so massive that 3 missing engines hardly mattered... xD
  10. Geers

Pffft. I have an X-Wing:

screenshot56.png

Highly manoeuvrable.
  11. thetrophysystem

Eh, the entire point of KSP in my opinion, is you don't have to start off being perfect, your rockets can be lacking and still effective and make yourself feel good.

However, this isn't the case. My rockets aren't bad at all, yet they fall apart on the launchpad. Like, sometimes nosecones will fall off, on reload too, reliably reproduced. You can't tell me the nosecone carries too much weight, they aren't being bumped by anything near them, and they "snap" and I can go back to assembly and double check the snapping and go back to launch, still fall off.

The game has it where sometimes, things just fall off.
  12. VindiGator

VindiGator New Member

I've had reliable builds fall apart on the launch pad just by moving the camera around, zooming and such, not waiting for physics to kick in.
  13. Col_Jessep

That happens due to the way connections worked so far. They are between the centers of mass of 2 parts instead of the connecting surfaces. When the distance and mass of both parts are high the chance for parts shearing clean off increases. This is the reason orange tanks are extremely prone to failure and the 1m tanks with 4.5 tons are comparatively safe to use. It's all about the distance between the connecting surface and the CoM.

Squad and NASA are working on a new system because the new parts that will be released with the free NASA DLC will dwarf even orange tanks. So the whole problem with parts falling off your rocket on the launchpad is hopefully gone with version 0.24! :D
  14. Geers

I really want larger ion engines.
  15. thetrophysystem

I didn't read the upcoming patch notes. That sounds badass though. I must admit I am always pleasantly suprised with KSP updates.
  16. Col_Jessep

NASA and Squad are working together to add asteroids to KSP. You can than land on asteroids or even change their orbit and stuff. We are getting new parts, too! :D

It probably has to do with recent budget cuts. NASA can't afford to send manned missions or expensive probes so they simulate how it would be if they had enough of a budget to go to space... ;)
  17. thetrophysystem

Funny. And it is nice to spread knowledge and stuff.

And that would be the #1 badassed feature, asteroids. I always tell those who watch me play, the solar system is FILLED with asteroids. All ceres is, is an asteroid. Same with pluto. Eris is a LARGER asteroid orbiting around Pluto's range of orbit, along with tons of big and small asteroids. Eris would be the real 9th planet if anything, if not planet x, if they were planets and not just the largest of some abundant asteroids.

Also, so many celestial bodies gives you a lot of possibility for boredom killing.
  18. LavaSnake

LavaSnake Post Master General

what a second, asteroids + rockets = ;)
  19. Geers

Moar parts!!
  20. mcodl

mcodl Member

I'm really looking forward to all the new parts and new joint system. I got bored of the stock parts, novapunch makes my larger rockets fall appart without joint reinforcement mod and with that mod my laptop barely handles the game.