Should factories be on continuous build by default?

Discussion in 'Planetary Annihilation General Discussion' started by metabolical, January 27, 2014.

?

Should factories be on continuous build by default?

1. Yes

50.2%
  2. No

41.1%
  3. Depends on the factory type

8.7%
  1. Apheirox

Apheirox New Member

I would strongly urge Uber to disregard the "It goes against the RTS norm" argument. PA doesn't have to do things the exact same way other games have been doing it. It will take new players exactly 10 seconds to learn the new mechanisms so it absolutely isn't worth using an inferior model just because it's the "norm".

Vote yes.
    corteks likes this.
  2. Martenus

Martenus Well-Known Member

3. neutrino

neutrino low mass particle Uber Employee

This seems like the logical conclusion. With it defaulting to off (even though I personally would probably turn it on).
    n00n, nateious, corteks and 3 others like this.
  4. ikickasss

ikickasss Active Member

I think it should be off especially with competitive play. There are already so many mods like eco mod, timer, reminders , etc. Now you want to add continious build to factories as default. I for one dont use them and Im not really a fan of them. Why dont we just make the ai control your whole army while were at it.
  5. thetrophysystem

thetrophysystem Post Master General

here is a question I consider for my mod.

would it benefit gameplay currently to have factories only capable of building one unit? If you think about it, it encourages more factories over heavily assisted ones, and it pretty much simplifies infinite build because it can be a toggle, either its producing or not.
  6. pownie

pownie Active Member

I really hope this "just add an option for it" is not becoming a thing for every little detail. I already have to force myself to even read through all the settings that exist already. And I still have nightmares thinking about Microsoft Word (LibreOffice, etc) settings dialogs. I think even after using it for over a year I have not looked at every setting.

The whole "problem" of having to change single/continuous would be so much smaller, if the button was next to the available units. That would not only draw more attention to it (for new players) it would also reduce mouse movement a lot (for me anyway. Not big into hotkeys for unit production). And I can't even begin to describe how often I thought I had set a certain production up on endless, only to notice later that the first unit I choose was only built once, because I again didn't enable continuous build first, and after doing to my eyes had already wondered off to some other place on the map, not checking the green little numbers again.

So by all means, default yes!

Edit: That is under the premise that yes/no/option are the only available choices for now, and a more refined (separate one-off and continuous builtd queues) system is added later.