( Poll ) What sized planets will you play on most often

Discussion in 'Planetary Annihilation General Discussion' started by Zoliru, March 10, 2014.

?

After Release be it againts AI or Player ?

1. 100-1000

34 vote(s)
    44.2%
  2. 1000-3000

8 vote(s)
    10.4%
  3. 3000-6000

8 vote(s)
    10.4%
  4. 6000-9000

2 vote(s)
    2.6%
  5. The largest my PC can handle

25 vote(s)
    32.5%
  1. Zoliru

Zoliru Active Member

24342536626777 SIZED PLANETS !!!!!

what ?!

WHAT ?!
  2. Martenus

Martenus Well-Known Member

We don't even know what the maximum size will be yet. So this poll is irrelevant.
  3. Zoliru

Zoliru Active Member

there wont be a Cap

Devs said it the only limit will be Our PC-s
  4. Martenus

Martenus Well-Known Member

Oh ok, then I hope they optimize it REALLY good, cuz atm I cannot handle anything bigger than 1200 for more than like 10 minutes.
    wheeledgoat and cptconundrum like this.
  5. FXelix

FXelix Active Member

Is this the number of the radius or the whole diameter?
  6. MrTBSC

MrTBSC Post Master General

i say current state 800 radius is standart ....
    put in like 4 1000 radius planets and you have quite the sandbox to play in ... i guess having 8 or 9 thousand radius would be like 2 to 3 times of what roanoke abiss is in supcom?
    i mean a 2k or 3k radius feels already friggin big
  7. galaxyisos

galaxyisos Member

i will never play on multiple planets except for Galactic War. one big planet(2500+) is what i am looking for . i am sure i cant find players to play with on that size planet so i will be playing against AIs :D
  8. Zoliru

Zoliru Active Member

well HELLOOOOO we can play againts the ai :p

btw Planets under 2500 feels small when i loaded a 3000 earth planet my head exploded.....
  9. hahapants

hahapants Active Member

That's quite the range you've polled, honestly I see a big difference between games on a R-500 vs an R-800. Anyway, I like small ~R-400 to R-700 games with zero to a few moons or other planets, but just as galaxyisos said, one large planet with a huge radius would be a lot of fun especially on an earth biome where different terrain would likely define the play styles.
    wheeledgoat likes this.
  10. zweistein000

zweistein000 Post Master General

Can we even play on planets larger than 1200 now? Also you can't go larger than 3000 with the slider and even if you would even planets with 1200 radius are huge and will take for ever to load up so this pool is kind of pointless. I usually play on radius 400-1000.
  11. mered4

mered4 Post Master General

Someone in Realm mentioned yesterday they might be able to bring back the hack mod that allowed players to host larger games and larger than allowed planets.

Maybe.
  12. tatsujb

tatsujb Post Master General

i'll take a 6000, thank you very much
    9.png
    And someone outside the realm doesn't need such trifles as a MOD for this. there never was a mod for this : https://forums.uberent.com/threads/planet-size-contest.49693/

it's C:\program files (x86)\Planetary Annihilation\PA\media\ui\alpha\system_editor\sytem_editor.js

line 825
    Last edited: March 10, 2014
    brianpurkiss, Martenus and chronosoul like this.
  13. liquius

liquius Well-Known Member

I think you misunderstood what mered4 was talking about. Quite a while ago, Cola_Colin discovered that various caps (most notably the max player cap) were only client side. This meant people could host and play games with 40+ players and iirc play on planets that were restricted.
  14. tatsujb

I don't see why that would be less possible than it was before. do you have a linky?
  15. liquius

liquius Well-Known Member

https://forums.uberent.com/threads/40-player-game-d.54307/

The problem was that these stupidly massive games caused lag for other games being hosted on the same server. Not long after it was discovered people went crazy with bigger and bigger games. Uber put caps on the servers and that was the last of it.
    mered4 likes this.
  16. tatsujb

I was in that thread if you noticed. The point was making a forty player game, not a big planet game.

the big planet part probably wasn't capped and even if it is, it's probably much higher than current limit.
    actually there only were two such big games.
  17. Methlodis

Methlodis Active Member

For the record, the games were causing lag for other games on most games above 15 players. But going to 50 players the performance of the large games wasn't impacted because it took the resources of the other games on the same server. It wasn't untill a 100 man game of this was attempted that more server side checks were implemented by uber. You still can have lobby with more than 10 players run client side, but any lobby with more than 10 players won't appear in the listing.

But yes Cola Colin first discovered this as well as a number of other client side changes players could make. The problem with the large planets, like the large 50 player games, is they are not feasible for performance at the moment. And to be honest games on planets large than 1500 with two people aren't balanced yet and even with 10 players a 850 planet has a much better time. Its going to take 50 player ffa to make bigger planets fun. That way the gameplay isn't as bad for traversing large distances.
  18. carlorizzante

carlorizzante Post Master General

So, that's the answer. From 1.000 to 3.000 ;)
  19. Zoliru

Zoliru Active Member

i dont have a single issue on 1200 earth planets it loads under like 3 min

anyway 50 player ffa for big planets to be fun WHAT ?

i mostly gonna play 2v2 or 1v1 on 3000+ planets or biger depents when my PC starts burning....

10 player on 850 planets ? maaaan you guys absolutly dont like long fun games................ ( fun is Subjective )
  20. Zoliru

Zoliru Active Member

a bit less water and its EPIC.....
    tatsujb likes this.