Orbital Parameter Relationships

Discussion in 'Planetary Annihilation General Discussion' started by phattmattslimm, March 9, 2014.

1. phattmattslimm

phattmattslimm New Member

To assist in creating custom systems, is Uber able to provide direction on:

* What the relationship between object size/mass/density and minimum distance from sun is?
    * What the relationship between distance (x,y) and velocity (x,y) and orbital characteristics (e.g. min distance from sun, maximum distance from sun and/or eccentricity)?
  2. tatsujb

tatsujb Post Master General

3. EdgarAlanPWN

EdgarAlanPWN New Member

This might have been fixed in the most recent build, but I noticed in some of my own systems that if I put the moon too close to the planet, my orbital wouldn't be able to make it to the moon. They would try, then end up back on the planet they started on. Something to indicate the minimum distance to allow exiting the gravity well.

Also, for system building that looks more realistic, some way to know if your planets will run into each other just by orbiting. It just can take forever to use the System simulation to find out if they will crash. Not that they actually crash, but having a planet slide through another planet freaks me out each time.
  4. Geers

Geers Post Master General

Take an astrophysics course. Problem solved.
    godde likes this.
  5. phattmattslimm

phattmattslimm New Member

The equations to describe two-body dynamics isn't hard. However, it appears that gravity behaves differently in PA than in reality (not surprising) and the system used to generate orbits, in my experience,
    isn't what is normally used (e.g. PA appears to utilize variation in velocity rather than eccentricity to define the 'oblateness' of an orbit).

If using normal gravitational constants, orbits in PA do not appear to work as intended [hence the above comment and the initial query]. I've also read comments that PA judges a planet mass as to how close it can get to the sun; which seems to recognize the reality of gravitational tides