Remove the Pre-Loaded Anti-Nuke Missile

Discussion in 'Planetary Annihilation General Discussion' started by brianpurkiss, March 8, 2014.

1. brianpurkiss

brianpurkiss Post Master General

In patrolling the forums, the steam community, and reddit, a lot of new players don't get why Anti-Nukes take so long.

It was made pre-loaded because of the lack of notifications and auto build.

It'll make more sense, especially for new players, to not come pre-loaded with an anti-nuke and instead just automatically start building one infinitely right after it finishes being built.

Edit: Word from Uber.
    They are going to remove the pre-loaded missile and let it automatically queue up.
    Last edited: March 10, 2014
  2. emraldis

emraldis Post Master General

Although I like the sentiment, It seems like that would just bring back the nuke balance issues from when the anti-nuke didn't come preloaded. I think it might just be better to slightly decrease the cost of the anti-nuke, since it's still a little under-powered IMO.
    arthursalim, websterx01 and stuart98 like this.
  3. midspark

midspark Member

This. It took so long for it to be come preloaded, let's not undo the changes.
  4. ohnimus

ohnimus New Member

reducing costs for the first one - increase radius a little bit so red-dotted area is the _really_ secure area
  5. brianpurkiss

Except it's not a balance issue. The balance issue used to be that anti-nuke launchers would get built and then sit there not doing anything.

It still takes the same amount of metal to build the missile. So it's not a balance issue anymore.

And this way people won't be confused about how long it takes to make an anti-nuke.
    drz1 and Quitch like this.
  6. EdWood

EdWood Active Member

If it would come unloaded, the price has to be reduced drastically.
  7. DalekDan

DalekDan Active Member

I agree, there's no need for it to start with an anti-nuke missile if it auto-builds with some additional refinement, tuning to cost/build-time efficiency, and yeah the price would of course go down.
  8. ohnimus

ohnimus New Member

i say it again: 1st try to convince the devs to have the protection radius also being the secure radius - meaning no dmg within - yea i have tested or just compare the burns to the red-outline next time u catch a nuke
    addition: nukes have drastic radiation - only let heavy armored vehicles pass the nuked area for some time
  9. boylobster

boylobster Active Member

I have to go with Brian on this one - he's not suggesting any balance or cost changes, rather, just changing the way the build process of the anti-nuke is presented. You'd get your anti nuke in the same amount of time, but the structure would appear first. Simple, makes sense.

The real problem is that any fabbers building the anti stop assisting as soon as the base structure is done, just as with all other factories. What's really needed to implement this change (as it stands now) is that fabbers go on to immediately assist with missile construction after the launcher is complete. ...now that I put it like that, it does start to sound a little convoluted, but I think it's a good idea. Perhaps it could be applied to nukes and anti-nukes both? I mean, does anyone ever build just the launcher without immediately pouring more build power onto the missile? o_O
  10. ORFJackal

ORFJackal Active Member

Now nukes and anti-nukes have an infinite queue of missiles queued up when they are built, so there is no more the issue of people building anti-nuke launchers but forget to build anti-nukes, which was the reason for anti-nukes coming equipped with one missile.

There's still the issue of fabbers not assisting factories after building them, but there is a simple workaround for when you want it: select the assist command from the menu and shift-click the anti-nuke that is being built. Or shift-click the fabbers to go on an area patrol.
    MrTBSC and brianpurkiss like this.
  11. mabdeno

mabdeno Active Member

I agree if only for consistency reasons. Both should have an empty launcher then auto-build missiles.
    eroticburrito and brianpurkiss like this.
  12. rawrifficus

rawrifficus Member

How about before we suggest new things we get the current state of anti nuke fixed.

1. It never rebuilds the first missile after it's launched. So after it fires off 1 it can only ever hold 2. I don't understand why but it's stupid.

2. They added in a delay time to start building the next one. I don't understand why but it sucks.

3. They bug out a lot of the time and never even begin building a new missile so you spend all that time only to sometimes get 1 missile and then the structure is entirely useless because of 1 and 2.
  13. Quitch

Quitch Post Master General

Actually, as we calculated back in the day, the pre-loaded anti-nuke was more expensive in energy than it had been previously because you no longer had the anti-nuke launcher assisting with the build.

Personally I think the launcher should be cheaper, but it was not made cheaper as part of the pre-loaded missile change.

What you should be able to do is queue an assist command, but I don't think that works at the moment.
  14. drz1

drz1 Post Master General

This brings up another interesting point. why don't we have an option to have fabbers assist ANY factory after they have built it?

P.S> I like Brian's suggestion, build the anti launcher quicker and have it start building immediately.
  15. Twinstar

Twinstar Active Member

Well if they remove the first anti nuke, ill NEVER build an anti nuke launcher again.
    Its just too expenisv, u only need to build a nuke and even if your enemy sees it, he just cant counter it anymore. (except he destroys it and same income provided).
    This would end in a nuke rush game.
  16. thetrophysystem

thetrophysystem Post Master General

really, nobody needs an empty antinuke.

the nuke should come loaded, were they not planning on adding different types of nukes. I'd argue the micromanagement nerfs the nuke, but that should not be a balance lever as overly trained players using timer mods or an egg timer in real life will have no added issue with "micromanagement" so it nerfs the wrong people.
    iron420 and Twinstar like this.
  17. nobrains

nobrains Member

I miss building empty antinuke silo to make my opponent shoot his nukes elsewhere.
    ORFJackal likes this.
  18. brianpurkiss

And this is exactly what I'm talking about.

He even read my thread and doesn't understand what's going on with the anti-nuke.

He thinks the anti-nuke is very expensive but doesn't get that it's actually cheap, it just takes forever to build because we're building the launcher and an anti-nuke.
    ORFJackal and stuart98 like this.
  19. Geers

Geers Post Master General

Radiation tends to not kill robots.
    wheeledgoat and brianpurkiss like this.
  20. cptconundrum

cptconundrum Post Master General

I completely disagree. It is much easier to be able to queue up an antinuke, then move on to another project. If fabbers automatically assist after construction finishes then you can never queue anything after the antinuke. Isn't that a lot more counter-intuitive than the current system, which makes perfect sense and gives you better control?

The real problem is that this game is massive and new players are still thrown right into the middle of it. There are ways to help smooth out the learning curve, but we just don't have them yet.
    Quitch likes this.