Engine not efficient enough / Game slows down when patrolling with too much units

Discussion in 'Support!' started by jorisk, March 6, 2014.

1. jorisk

jorisk Member

Hi,

Tonight me and my mate left the game as the game became way too slow. I destroyed our commanders to see what was happening on the game and it was clearly what was causing the massive delay/lag: one team had about 300 T2 fighters patrolling around the entire planet.

Now my opinion: they had the entire planet for themselves (scale 2 planet) but to make sure no one could rush in they simpy closed down the entire planet with bombers on patrol EVERYWHERE.
    I do have sympathy for this tactic but i don't really understand why this should this much lag. Me/my mate/probably a lot of other people never even looked at this planet and still it caused mass lag.

I do agree it is very cool to see a planet in the background passing by and seeing all kinds of buildings on it, but do we really have to receive all the unit information on that planet if we don't open/zoom in on it at all?
  2. Geers

Geers Post Master General

We all know optimization is an issue, and the devs are working on it. Check the other threads for how to minimize slow down. For now, we're all going to have to:

[​IMG]
  3. liltbrockie

liltbrockie Active Member

I know it doesnt address the problem (which is being worked on) but why the hell would you have 300 T2 fighters patrolling the planet? You could have a couple of advanced satellites giving you complete vision radius for a fraction of the cost and just delete all the T2 fighters!
    FSN1977 likes this.
  4. ooshr32

ooshr32 Active Member

The sim was probably lagging, the server still has to keep track of all this stuff, regardless of whether you're looking at it or not.
  5. jorisk

jorisk Member

So i guess there is no solution for this, else then faster servers?
    cwarner7264 likes this.
  6. liltbrockie

...and more efficient code
    cptconundrum, ooshr32 and cwarner7264 like this.
  7. cwarner7264

cwarner7264 Moderator Alumni

You should have dropped a planet on them :D
  8. Quitch

Quitch Post Master General

Got to wait on further optimisations.
  9. Daddie

Daddie Member

Guys... the server is now hosted by Uberent and it hasn't limitless resources. Just wait for the server EXE to be release so you can setup your own server and see for yourself how optimized the code is. For all we know the server code is so optimized they run every game on a Raspberry Pi.
    Geers likes this.
  10. liltbrockie

I heard they were running it on one of those old Casio calculator watches.
  11. Geers

Geers Post Master General

I can't believe nobody's mentioned the coolest robot on the block up there...

You guys disappoint me.