Do you build holkins?

Discussion in 'Balance Discussions' started by Quitch, March 6, 2014.

1. Quitch

Quitch Post Master General

Does anyone use these? It seems that when the time comes, people opts for nukes every time.

I'm not sure if it's that the Holkins isn't a good unit, or it's because nukes are such a good unit, that we don't see them. Is it because anti-nukes suck? Is it because if you can't nuke then T2 air is better in this sort of role? Is it worth committing T2 fabber time to this instead of more eco? Is the range long enough to allow you to shell a base while still being deep enough in your territory to provide some kind of air protection? Is the ROF simply too slow?
  2. Clopse

Clopse Post Master General

All of the above. :D
  3. Clopse

Clopse Post Master General

Need to be able to one shot most factories from a safe distance. Everything is just so cheap in this game!
  4. liltbrockie

liltbrockie Active Member

Damn I havent built holkins in a long time....might give them another go
  5. cwarner7264

cwarner7264 Moderator Alumni

I usually only build them in FFAs - great for harassing medium-distance people and tenderising defensive lines :D
  6. Deletive

Deletive Member

Its a good end game, if you put up advanced turrets around the hopkins and send a bunch of fabrication troops, you can Hopkins rush and end the game with a nuke.
  7. mered4

mered4 Post Master General

You are the reason I build a holkins near my base.

Seriously, that's just mean :)

When in battle, I usually dont build one until after I've got a nuke launcher up, mostly because I dont want to anger my neighbors. :)
  8. doomrater

doomrater Active Member

I like building Holkins but the catapult is almost better in every way. In fact I'm usually beat down BY catapults when trying to build an offensive Holkins.
  9. igncom1

igncom1 Post Master General

Good support unit/building.

Anti-nukes however are easier to avoid.
  10. thetdawg3191

thetdawg3191 Active Member

i mostly use Holkins defensively, like if i'm expecting a large army or a navy to come rolling in. Holkins has nasty AoE, and insanely fast projectile speed compared to the catapult. the Catapult is something i use if i need precision. and catas are only effective against mobs when used in numbers. one or two Holkins can wreck an entire blob.
  11. mushroomars

mushroomars Well-Known Member

Now I have to call it the Hopkins...
    cdrkf likes this.