Invasion Dynamics: BOT APCS

Discussion in 'Planetary Annihilation General Discussion' started by bigdumbobject, March 6, 2014.

?

BOT APCS?

1. YES

11 vote(s)
    61.1%
  2. MAYBE

7 vote(s)
    38.9%
  1. bigdumbobject

bigdumbobject New Member

Vanguards and Infernos occasionally get stuck in battlefield wreckage. A bot APC with limited offensive capability, Vanguard/Inferno level armor and a payload of t1/t2 bots could offer an interesting improvement to invasion dynamics.

ps: upsidedown face, apc is too short for the forum search feature.
  2. v4skunk84

v4skunk84 Active Member

And what would stop the apc from getting stuck?
    I say no.
    If the apc is a dropship that can travel between planets, i think there could be a place for it, possibly.
  3. bigdumbobject

bigdumbobject New Member

When the APC gets stuck , unload ye bots. Fewer parking lot issues.
  4. cptconundrum

cptconundrum Post Master General

Multi-unit transports make it a lot harder for the opponent to tell what is inside. Why not use the air transports that are already in the game?
  5. bigdumbobject

bigdumbobject New Member

The Pelicans are vulnerable to AA units, commanders, turrets and puffer fish.
  6. MrTBSC

MrTBSC Post Master General

orbital trooptrasports/dropships and hovertransport
    ... apc's ....meh

also poll needs fix
    Last edited: March 6, 2014
  7. wheeledgoat

wheeledgoat Well-Known Member

Reason #67 to use custom google search instead of forum search;
    i.e. google "site:forums.uberent.com apc"

but i'm not chastising you for 'not searching' - I actually dig the idea. I think.

edit: Especially if it's a fast mofo that gets 'em from a to b quickly for emergencies. But if it gets blown up, you lose everything inside.
  8. Regabond

Regabond Member

Sort of needs a "No" option. I'm not against the idea in general, but I don't think it adds anything to the battlefield. This makes sense for air or planetary transports, but a ground transport isn't really needed.
  9. brianpurkiss

brianpurkiss Post Master General

My options are Yes or Maybe? Really? Biased poll.

I vote no.
    midspark likes this.
  10. coulter47

coulter47 Member

Then how about something like a UNFC helljumper? A obital pod that drops in and unloads units?
  11. brianpurkiss

brianpurkiss Post Master General

I've been supporting the idea of drop pods for months. That's a different topic than what OP brought up though.
  12. MrTBSC

MrTBSC Post Master General

new guy making his first thread eventualy messed up poll ... happened to me aswell ...
    soooo can we maybe be a bit less prejudice ? ...
  13. igncom1

igncom1 Post Master General

Not with bias voting systems we cant.
  14. arthursalim

arthursalim Active Member

Apcs are a nice idea and addition they would make troop transport easier and make the war even more mobile
  15. broadsideet

broadsideet Active Member

I think this could be an interesting advanced vehicle. You just build the APC which comes loaded with 6 Doxen and they pop out when the APC dies/reaches target.
  16. mushroomars

mushroomars Well-Known Member

I hate it when people create polls that don't have "No" as an option. For that matter, Uber should just revoke polling permission for standard users, restrict them to Planetary Vanguards or whatever they named our community's trustees. The capslock isn't helping my good humor.

But I've digressed. This doesn't really make a whole lot of sense in my mind either in terms of gameplay or physics. If you can fit... Say, 6 bots inside of an APC presumably about the same size as those 6 bots, why not just stick the bots' weapon systems on the APC and have a lighter, faster, more heavily armored unit capable of firing while in transit. But nobody cares about realism in this game, so let's set that to the side.

In terms of gameplay, a land-based APC wouldn't confer anything except a way to make bots go faster by adding a micro barrier, and I think most people will at least acknowledge that Planetary Annihilation requires a significant degree of micro, if not that it is plagued by micro. Pelicans add a unique dynamic by giving units a different means of moving, same goes for the Astreus. An APC, considering that the most survivable unit in the game, the Vanguard, is squashed under an equivalently priced DPS unit in a matter of seconds, wouldn't be very useful for giving bots increased survivability, only speed. Then you might as well use the Pelican, which is a hell-ton faster, or better yet a Teleporter. Teleporters are really cheap for what they do, it isn't unwise to have a Teleporter in every major base if you need it, so fast response teams can fast-respond, at least late-game.

So I guess the counter-argument would be the vulnerability to AA, and how having say... A hover APC would be useful. I guess I can see that, but if the enemy has AA coverage of an area, that means either fighters or AA towers. Generally, if an enemy has Fighters or Towers in an area, they have intelligence coverage of that area, which means that a hover/tracked APC would be detected and subsequently exterminated with extreme prejudice.

So ultimately I would vote that it doesn't really concern Uber. The Pelicans, Stargates, Astereuseseuses and soon (I hope) the Unit Cannon scratch this itch with sufficiency.
  17. hearmyvoice

hearmyvoice Active Member

Rofl, dat poll... Don't know which is funnier, the poll or people's reactions.