The response to my concern about the forum

Discussion in 'Planetary Annihilation General Discussion' started by Daeromont, March 6, 2014.

1. rawrifficus

rawrifficus Member

I've rarely not been able to answer any game question I've had for any game I've played by just taking 20 seconds to type my question into google and look at the first 5 hits. If google doesn't find it chances are you won't find it no matter how hard you look. If all you are looking for is advice and tips on how to play then yeah...don't even bother with the actual game forums just search google and you'll pretty much always find helpful videos or written guides.
    cptconundrum and brianpurkiss like this.
  2. ikickasss

ikickasss Active Member

Dont let them discourage you as a new player just post away....
    kayonsmit101 likes this.
  3. mered4

mered4 Post Master General

I completely agree with you - we can be a bit excessive. I am in college, after all, and I haven't entered into the working world yet. This means I can allocate more time to these forums and PA itself.

I think we need to start making a habit of posting a link to the relevant post or topic instead of just dismissing it as already discussed - would be less annoying.

Enjoy your stay :)
    kayonsmit101 likes this.
  4. wheeledgoat

wheeledgoat Well-Known Member

I completely understand that as a family man you don't have endless hours to pour over the forums here!! I'm right there with ya (though I get a fair share of time at work... I wish I had more time at home to actually play!)

bingo. right here. and if you want to get fancy use some boolean constraints (+ before required words, - before words to exclude).

if that doesn't do it for you, then post away!

I will say, though, that the FAQ is most def. worth the time to read. It'll answer questions you haven't thought of yet and get you up to speed pretty quickly. Before you know it, YOU'LL be the one trying to gently point the unfamiliar in the right direction.
  5. drz1

drz1 Post Master General

I disagree. Recently, I've seen lots of duplicate threads, and people are STILL civil and welcoming, and help with the problem, with usually someone saying "its okay, but please search in future". I always make an effort to be equally welcoming no matter whether the question has been asked a thousand times.

Also, you can do your bit by looking through the FAQ or a quick browse over other thread titles to see if your problem has been answered. It takes two to tango, after all. Anyway, hope your time is enjoyable on here from now on!
    brianpurkiss likes this.
  6. liltbrockie

liltbrockie Active Member

I'd like to know what questions OP was having trouble finding an answer to in about 5 seconds from searching here or google.... just generally curious what they were to see if it was me, I could find the answer.

EDIT: found one he started about pausing the game, key bindings etc... All easily searchable IMO... you're not familiar that with most games there's a setting page where the key bindings live? come on man.
    brianpurkiss and drz1 like this.
  7. Daeromont

Daeromont Member

Interestingly, the tips on how to search seem to have helped the most. I am a little embarrassed to say that once I tightened up my search parameters, it became a lot easier. I didn't know how to. While some of these posts were unhelpful, I do appreciate those of you who took the time to give me some tips. I'm not a technocrat...but I can catch on. And, I look forward to beating you in the next game. :)
    kayonsmit101, drz1 and cptconundrum like this.
  8. drz1

drz1 Post Master General

I think on the whole, this is one of the more friendly and helpful game forums I've ever been on :D
    Look forward to seeing you all in game one day!
    brianpurkiss likes this.
  9. carlorizzante

carlorizzante Post Master General

Stop the blah-blah-blah, Brian. You had your chances.

Now a day, I more conveniently ignore you entirely.
  10. liltbrockie

Please consider reforming this sentance so it makes sense... ta.
  11. cptconundrum

cptconundrum Post Master General

ok, this isn't about you specifically but we all really need to stop this arguing. I think it was fair to make a comment once, but getting into a flame war over it isn't going to be productive at all. It's ironic (but not unexpected) that a thread about the community appearing unfriendly turned into this.
  12. liltbrockie

carlorizzante and brianpukiss should play a match of PA... best of 3. Whoever loses has to shut up and never say a word about the other on the forums ever again.
    carlorizzante and hahapants like this.
  13. brianpurkiss

brianpurkiss Post Master General

If you ignore me... why do you go out of your way to spread falsehoods about me and start a flame war?

Chances? Chances to what? Oh no! A random person on the internet won't talk to me! I think I'll live. Besides, you never talk to me except to attack me.

Although. I honestly don't care what you think about me. You're just some random person on the internet. Especially since you don't ever actually debate with me. You just jump in, attack me, and then ignore anything that points out why you're wrong.

But please stop spreading falsehoods about me and derailing threads to further your beef with me.

If you have a beef with me, message me so we can talk about it like mature individuals. Don't derail threads to attack me, especially since you won't ever actually talk to me.
    drz1 likes this.
  14. hahapants

hahapants Active Member

Got in before it's locked :D

Brian, you're one of this forum's greatest resources, you're on top of things, respond quickly, not to mention produce some great threads full of useful material that get stickied often. I personally love the recaps you produce on either livecasts or internal play-test videos. Look at the number of posts & likes you have, you are very active. I hope KNight doesn't see this, but I think you've even out paced him with forum content (tho he has been slackin). The only other person I look to for info on this forum is Ravaen for new build notes. With that said, some of your responses can be a wee bit annoying. I tried to point it out once.

https://forums.uberent.com/threads/speeding-up-the-early-game.55206/#post-845742
    drz1, kayonsmit101 and cptconundrum like this.
  15. carlorizzante

carlorizzante Post Master General

Aha, you're right guys. I mean, from your perspective. And I respect that.

So no more words on the topic from my part.
    drz1, liltbrockie and cptconundrum like this.
  16. KNight

KNight Post Master General

I think we need to consider how it is for those of us that have to repeat ourselves constantly. I know I always try to put a fair amount of effort into my posts, to explain things clearly and in depth and when the same questions get asked again and again it feels frustratingly futile.

Of course that's no excuse to be a jerk but at the same time you can't just write us and our concerns off. Especially when a lot of effort has been out into things like the Live Stream Index, Confirmed Features List, FAQ and more(check the Useful Thread Sticky for more) that are supposed to help players out and were sometimes getting shot down for trying to help new users help themselves because we don't have the time to take each user by the hand and personally explain everything 1-on-1 as much as we wish we could.

Like I said, it's certainly no excuse the be a jerk, but make sure you think about both sides of the fence you know?

Mike
  17. cptconundrum

I would think that if you don't want to respond, you just don't. If someone isn't correctly reading the forum and finding the facts for themselves, you have no obligation to help them. One reason that people make so many duplicate threads is because they know that people will answer them anyway.
  18. kayonsmit101

kayonsmit101 Active Member

I know the forum has rules and for good reasons and I know in a lot of ways this is a nicer community than most but remember the true nature of all of this. We are humans, none of this stuff is perfect but if you get new members which I'm assuming you all want you are inevitably going to get repeated questions and concerns. Be nice.
    Last edited: March 6, 2014
    drz1 likes this.
  19. cptconundrum

Guys, it is fine to bring up concerns you have about someone's behavior, but please use the private messaging system for this. This is not the "Criticize Brian" thread and most of these points only need to be made once, if ever. If you have a suggestion for how someone can improve their behavior on the forum, the best thing to do is send them some friendly advice as a PM. I think you will be surprised at how effective that can be, and it keeps things from escalating into a flame war.
    brianpurkiss, drz1 and lokiCML like this.
  20. kayonsmit101

kayonsmit101 Active Member

You are correct good sir. I already have edited my post.
    cptconundrum likes this.