Trading function for "sleekness"

Discussion in 'Backers Lounge (Read-only)' started by namelesst, February 28, 2014.

1. namelesst

namelesst Member

Does anyone else have a problem with the new lobbies not having ANY good features other than ok looks?

We use to have:
    1. Generation of planets and an indicator while in lobby to prevent issues when the game was starting.
    2. A ready button so we could start after we selected our colours and sufficient time to load the planets. EVERYONE had to be ready, not just the host.
    3. A player would pick his own slot and not be placed automatically.

Several other minor details not worth listing.

I like the appearance of the lobby better overall but we need the functionality of the old one or there is no point in the "upgrade."
  2. someonewhoisnobody

someonewhoisnobody Well-Known Member

#1 they said they have to take out because they wanted to impliment something but they had to take a step back. I think the lobby is cool and we just have to get used to it.
  3. sirmantron

sirmantron Active Member

You can still pick your own slot, and as for the planet generation and indicator they said that's only been removed temporarily and will be back in soon once they have fixed some other issues.
    thetrophysystem likes this.
  4. namelesst

namelesst Member

Get used to ill mannered host who launch as soon as the game is full without the slightest thought as to a player who may want a second to see the setup or change colour? No thanks.
    the lobby is cool and showing signs of improvement. the type of team games being shown for one is a step forward.

I understand work in progress which is why I will be double sure to ensure there is no dispute as to whether or not I have issues with something major that's changed. It's been good progress, looks like it's holding to a good destination, and I just want to help keep it that way with feed back.

Only if the host gives you a second to do so.
    cptconundrum likes this.
  5. MCXplode

MCXplode Active Member

yeah I like the functionality of the old lobby better
    I prefer a simple lobby to a lobby of sleekness that takes away from the capabilities of the engine. Now the preloading feature is gone, only gripe I had against old lobby was the planetary system view but thats not much better in the gamma.
    They still haven't fixed the major bugs with coherentui even with a rewrite of the ui. I think what they should do is give you the option of which UI to use and allow more customisability to the UI. I guess its up to the mod makes to improve the UI now.:oops:
  6. sirmantron

sirmantron Active Member

Remember they didn't actually trade functionality for anything here, functionality was removed so they could change some code and fix some issues, the new lobby design is just a new way of showing information, and that part of it has no effect on things like a ready systems or pre-loading the planets.

All the things the old lobby had can and probably will be integrated back into the new lobby, but issues with the build mean that currently we do not have them in.
  7. Raevn

Raevn Moderator Alumni

8. goldshekelberg

goldshekelberg New Member

No matter how much I love this game, I gotta say - the UI and menu are horrendous. Well, you can get used to the UI, but the menu is sloppy (it's really laggy and slow for me), glitchy, inefficient, counter-intuitive and most of all - not even that sleek (let's face it, it's ugly and impractical).

Definitely needs a change.
    After all, there's a Somalian proverb: smoothness and efficiency in strategy games > graphics and fancyness and everything else.
    iron420 likes this.
  9. cola_colin

cola_colin Moderator Alumni

This is something that often happens in software development. When a piece of software is rewritten to be better ofc the rewritten piece at first will not have all features. Uber released it in that state, because well PA isn't officially finished.
    Patience ;)
    lokiCML and cptconundrum like this.
  10. lokiCML

lokiCML Post Master General

Don't worry they're working on it. As Cola_Colin said this happens in software development.;)
  11. iron420

iron420 Well-Known Member

I think the new UI looks very "Fisher Price"
    [​IMG]
    Complete with removed functionality so as not to "confuse" those dumb fledgling users...

Please don't treat us power users like we are window's 8 metro-tards please...
  12. alantoner

alantoner New Member

I know its beta (technically "gamma" but I call it like it is) but I would like to see a less cartoony interface with some slick animations and some transparency. I do like the commander displayed in the background but I wish that 1). You could customize its appearance some more and 2) on the sub menu where you go to select the comm, you should be able to see a full body image of what it looks like before hitting accept. Its quite annoying having to go back and fourth between that sub menu and the main menu just to see what the comm looks like.
  13. mered4

mered4 Post Master General

Watch it. I use Windows 8. And I love it.

Mostly because I fixed most of the bugs myself before Microsoft did.

:(
    timp13 likes this.
  14. DeathByDenim

DeathByDenim Post Master General

You might want to install the Armory Commander Preview mod. Unless I have misunderstood what you mean with "the sub menu".
    alantoner likes this.
  15. alantoner

alantoner New Member

@DeathByDenim Yes, the armory. I wasn't near my computer and I couldn't think of what it's called. Thanks, I'll have to check that mod out.
  16. mushroomars

mushroomars Well-Known Member

Yeah, damnit guys, Uber shortchanged us. I would like to make a professional recommendation:

[​IMG]

We use one of these instead of a GUI. You know, because Planetary Annihilations has the robots and stuff.