space bases and ships could add another way to play

Discussion in 'Planetary Annihilation General Discussion' started by Hamasauras, March 4, 2014.

1. Hamasauras

Hamasauras New Member

i think another addon could be in space with bases in space and planet VS. planet
  2. valheria

valheria Active Member

i actually think they should add spaceship fighting to some degree.. absolutely nothing that can harm a planet directly though..

My idea is to have massive unit transport ship (not armed) to move a large invasion force across the system and can land on a planet. And have 2 classes of combat warships. destroyers (fast) and battleships (slow) to have space combat. they really do need to have a look into combat ships.
    coulter47 and carlorizzante like this.
  3. wheeledgoat

wheeledgoat Well-Known Member

been brought up a couple times that I've seen, general consensus is it's not on the radar right now, not the direction the devs are taking PA. it would likely be a whole can of worms with UI, balancing, etc... given that it would be such a departure from the current warfare model.

but who knows? maybe PA will sell really well, and I think the devs will happily expand the game as long as their paychecks keep clearing the bank.
    drz1 likes this.
  4. archmagecarn

archmagecarn Active Member

Pretty sure Uber has said there won't be direct space combat with starships, but orbital bases would be pretty cool and necessary for gas planet starts.
  5. DeadStretch

DeadStretch Post Master General

It's called Planetary Annihilation. Not Deep Space Annihilation. :D
    eroticburrito likes this.
  6. igncom1

igncom1 Post Master General

I would love to see a mod where everyone builds space ships from the planets surface however.
    carlorizzante likes this.
  7. brianpurkiss

brianpurkiss Post Master General

Welcome to the forums! Please do a search before posting in accordance with forum rules as this has been brought up several times.

This is also a confirmed no in the Confirmed Features List thread which is linked ton in the FAQ.

This would be a bad idea. Deep space Star Wars style planet combat is an entire game in of itself and would add to much complexity to PA making it unplayable.
    eroticburrito likes this.
  8. valheria

valheria Active Member

I would support a kickstarter to fund a expansion into space combat.. That's for sure
  9. valheria

valheria Active Member

It would make it unplayable if they did do it like star wars : ) I think you can have the best of both worlds if they do it as the way i suggested as long they make sure the ships can not directly fire onto a planet.. That is a big NO NO.
  10. brianpurkiss

Star Wars style space combat, like I said, is a game in of itself. Adding that element would make the game too complex. We already have tons of things going on as it is.
    DeadStretch likes this.
  11. valheria

valheria Active Member

There is nothing starwars or even homeworld related to that suggestion Lol.. Would make a horrible space game if you only had 2 units with limited functions.
  12. brianpurkiss

This isn't a space game though.

This is a ground warfare oriented game. The developers have said that many many times.
    DeadStretch likes this.
  13. tatsujb

tatsujb Post Master General

I'm glad to see I'm not alone in this, hopefully I will be the modder.
    carlorizzante and igncom1 like this.
  14. igncom1

Ow yeah, as a matter of fact most of the ideas people suggest would make friggin fantastic mods!

It just isn't all suitable for what the base game wants/needs to be.
    carlorizzante and lokiCML like this.
  15. tatsujb

tatsujb Post Master General

not sure what you mean there considering it was stated on numerous livestreams that this game is intended to know glory through it's mods, not it's vanilla.
  16. arsene

arsene Active Member

In the Confirmed Features thread there is a link to Jon Mavor saying that he doesn't want space combat in the game because of feature creep & the risk of having to create separate UI. It's too complicated to add to the game and has too many risks associated with it.

I don't think it's realistic to expect it in the game, but obviously if Uber had infinite resources to create this game, we would eventually see space combat. I do think it would add to the game, and Mavor said he wasn't against it, he just didn't think it was a practical use of resources.

It makes me think that it's a pity that some games have sequels coming out constantly instead of iterating on one game for a long time. PA has realistically been in development for 18 months, it's a very short time for a game. I hope they won't release this game and then move on to the next project. I think PA easily has enough potential to enable several more years of development and a range of new features.
    Zoliru likes this.
  17. kvalheim

kvalheim Post Master General

Adding combat within space would bring a whole heap more bugs and issues to deal with during production and require a total conversion of the combat engine to work in all dimensions.
  18. igncom1

I'll come for the vanilla, but will stay for the mods. ;)
    tatsujb likes this.
  19. MrTBSC

MrTBSC Post Master General

modstuff, nothing i think will be and honestly want in the vanilla game ... focus on surfacebattles ... not orbital ... orbital just supports
  20. mushroomars

mushroomars Well-Known Member

"Space Battles" will come in the form of asteroids covered in thrusters and long-range weaponry. I believe Uber has stated before that some weapons will be able to be fired from an orbiting body onto a planet, so far they've only confirmed nukes and the unit cannon, but I'm sure there will be others. Personally, I think a galley ship built out of asteroids and rocket fuel sounds a lot cooler than a space navy.
    tehtrekd, eroticburrito and lokiCML like this.
  21. tehtrekd

tehtrekd Post Master General

I'd kind of like to see a space station sort of thing added, kind of like the Hyperion moon station from Borderlands 2 (I really need to stop comparing things in that game to things in this...)

Like, an orbiting station that can fire mortars and units onto a planet, and generally cause bad things for the enemy.

It'd be kinda cool.
    But that's really the furthest I'd like to see space "battles" go, anything more than the orbital layer is really just unnecessary and would add WAY too much micro.