5.1 Surround?

Discussion in 'Planetary Annihilation General Discussion' started by KyneSilverhide, March 1, 2014.

1. bmb

bmb Well-Known Member

I already told you, planets are far away from each other and having their sound environments interfere with each other would be distracting. It's not like an FPS where something can be right behind you, if something in PA is "behind you" then it is far out in space.
  2. tatsujb

tatsujb Post Master General

sorry about the disturbing macros again but....
    [​IMG]
    explain.png
    now who are we close(r) to ?
    Last edited: March 3, 2014
  3. bmb

bmb Well-Known Member

The small scale of systems is another concession made by PA, which means they have stylized and idealized certain properties of planets, including the strength of their gravity, atmospheres, shapes and so on. The same goes for their distances, while physically they are very close together, this is just a stylized representation of stellar distances. The player cannot know and does not expect anything to be "behind" them other than clear space.
  4. tatsujb

dude you have so many blatant open angles of attack it's hard to choose which one. Now I know what Bill Nye must have felt faced with Ken ham.

If the 'small' distance between our moon and Earth isn't enough for you,
    What about the ring of Saturn? considering we'll have asteroid belts in this game, what about from one asteroid to the other? Now those are next door neighbors. literally speaking.
  5. KyneSilverhide

KyneSilverhide New Member

Yeah... I think we all agree that this is not Battlefield 4. And 5.1 is not a priority.

:)
    wheeledgoat, cptconundrum and lokiCML like this.
  6. bmb

bmb Well-Known Member

I believe that even if space was to be filled with air the 380000 km to the moon would sufficiently dampen any sound no matter how loud to be inaudible. It is not the distance that is physically there in the game, but it is the distance that is stylistically represented using certain concessions to style and gameplay.
  7. tatsujb

we don't agree, you must somehow think BF is leader or exemplary in something, it's not. as a matter of fact it's the opposite of revolutionary and a technological novelty where PA is. And added to that PA is innovative in that it takes the RTS to 3D.

It already does feature positional audio, so in essence what you've just voiced yourself against is bridging a gap between two game elements, one of them already inherent to PA.
    I thought the you wern't on the realism side of the realism vs. immersion argument anymore. you gotta make up your mind, you know? + I thought we made it clear that distance wasn't the issue here.

I on the other hand, am firmly on the immersion side of the argument and I believe it would be the shits if planets and any orbital body gave of sounds regardless of how real that is or not.
    I mean as I stated a year ago: how awesome would it be if you were alerted to the presence of an orbital body behind you just by it's sound?

....pretty fukin [​IMG] if you ask me.

and if you wouldn't mind reading through my links :
  8. bmb

bmb Well-Known Member

A representation isn't reality, but it has certain properties of reality. One of the expected properties is if someone on the moon shouted at you, you would not hear it. Another expected property is If a spaceship shoots a laser it goes pew pew. Thank Hollywood.
  9. tatsujb

more like lucasfilms studios, you got the gist yea, and thank them indeed or they might as well have been silent films, and this goes back to star trek
    hh.jpg
    and if you wouldn't mind actually reading what I write and from time to time addressing one or two of the points I brought up :
    https://forums.uberent.com/threads/psa-realism-vs-awesome.36658/page-3#post-754942
    wheeledgoat likes this.
  10. Twinstar

Twinstar Active Member

I have the same sound system =D
    it´s a pretty impressiv one :) I would like to see a 5.1 feature, and even its just for the EPIC Soundtrack :)
  11. KyneSilverhide

KyneSilverhide New Member

My point about battlefield was just how they handle the sound (position, tape recording, etc). I'm not comparing PA and BF4, I'm pointing out that they have different needs, necause one is an FPS, the other an RTS.

I'm just worried that the orchestral soundtrack will not be as epic if only half my speakers are used ;)
  12. tatsujb

unlikely, why would that be a consequence of 5.1 being implemented rather than laking? I do not understand.
    And about BF, heck yea the two have different needs. on one end you got a bunch of goons that would buy your title even if the sound was in mono and on the other you got experts asking for 64 Bit +multicore + multithread + linux support.
  13. valheria

valheria Active Member

Aye.. I can't wait in till 5.1 so that the sound would come out properly on my system as i use Pl300 floorstanders by monitor audio which require a actual sound track most the time if you want stupidly amazing sound. so uber please do a 5.1 for us : )