Server Connection Lost / Server Crash

Discussion in 'Support!' started by garat, March 3, 2014.

1. garat

garat Cat Herder Uber Alumni

We are trying to track down a particularly nasty crash. We have been unable to reproduce is at all in our development environment. What will be helpful is if any of you have determined specific actions you were doing RIGHT when the crash happens. Microing units? Issuing weird command combinations? Hotkeying rapidly? Anything that has become a patten that you've identified that seems to immediately lead to a server crash. We know a fair bit about the crash, and where it's happening, but still haven't found WHAT is causing the crash.

Any insight you, as the community, can provide, will help us hotfix this crash as quickly as possible. It's very clearly related to playing/doing something in game in a very specific way, but we haven't identified what exactly.

Post information you have here please. We want to get this crash stomped.
    drz1 likes this.
  2. coulter47

coulter47 Member

I wish i knew what was making this happen. It just refuse to connect to almost any game! keeps giving me the same reason as well " connection to server lost". Its not happened to me ingame, just trying to get into the lobby of the game I want to play in.
  3. garat

garat Cat Herder Uber Alumni

There was a separate issue with that, and we pushed a new build this afternoon. Hopefully you're seeing that less. If you're still seeing it, we'll continue to scour connection logs, hopefully we can determine what's causing lobby connection issues.
    drz1 likes this.
  4. forrestthewoods

forrestthewoods Uber Alumni

It involves air units. The crash most frequently comes from the tech 1 Hummingbird air fighter, but it can happen with bombers as well.
  5. coulter47

coulter47 Member

Still seeing it. total of 10 times in the past 30mins

Attached Files:

6. cptconundrum

cptconundrum Post Master General

Me too, a lot. I have had no crashes at all once in the game though. There is also a client crash I am getting when I click join. Sometimes, the whole client locks up and I have to force quit.

*Edit*
    Is it just me, or do I get failed to join/can't connect more often when I try to connect to a 1v1 than for larger games?
  7. Stalp

Stalp New Member

I actually just logged in about a server connection issue.

I just tried twice to play the game with my friend.

The first game:
    It was the two of us and two AI, one easy, one sandbox, free-for-all. The server connection was lost the moment he landed on another planet.

The second game:
    The two of us and two AI, one easy, one sandbox, team armies, my friend and I against the AIs. The server connection was lost the moment he landed on another planet.
  8. forrestthewoods

forrestthewoods Uber Alumni

Stalp, that's great info. Can you tell me precisely what unit was sent to the other planet? Can you think of anything special about where on that planet the unit was sent?

Can you tell me *exactly* what commands were issued. For example if you load a commander into an orbital lander you might send the lander to the moon. Then you might move the lander around. Then you might issue an unload command and target the ground. A different way of doing it might be to select the lander from planet A and just tell it to unload the commander at a point on planet B. You could also queue up a few orders to do it. If your friend caused the crash two times in a row and you can tell me EXACTLY what he did to land on another planet that just might give us the exact answer we're looking for.

The more pedantic and precise you can be the better. :)
    drz1 likes this.
  9. Stalp

Stalp New Member

My friend is offline right now. I can get back to you tomorrow with the dirty details.

I was unable to recreate it on my own: me vs AI.
  10. druss07

druss07 New Member

From the games I've had, short fast matches on small planets and small systems seem to last till the end. However matches with large planets or a large system seem to disconnect quite early in the game. Usually between 10-20 minutes. Having said that I have had a few matches on small planets and small systems and the game runs fine for quite a while until a large amount of units start to accumulate, then it crashes, which is quite disappointing when you are about to crush your enemy with a massive army and are C**K BLOCKED by server connection lost......
  11. mered4

mered4 Post Master General

Just had it crash after I sent an area command for 10+ mex.

This was like the third time I'd done so in the game, so it didn't seem significant.

Might have something to do with things being sent to the server in general - maybe a load issue??
    I dunno.

EDIT: was a 1v1 vs a guy named Moist.
  12. warrenkc

warrenkc Active Member

Can't the developers just watch the replays and notice what happens when the replay stops? If it is not capturing what happens, perhaps analyze what the player was doing right before the replay stops.
    druss07 likes this.
  13. marve

marve New Member

Crashed for me, played one planet so landing on another planet doesn't seem to be the issue.

It was me with 1 other human player and 3x AI, AI destroyed my anti-nuke launcher after that it crashed, not really specific circumstances.
  14. shotforce13

shotforce13 Well-Known Member

Forrest, ive only had one crash and one almost crash (locked up for a min).

I was building a big group of gunships and noticed before the crash that 5 gunships where fighting over a formation spot, not sure if this helps but after i moved the gunships to get them to quit, it crashed.

I also noticed that everytime i nuke the AI, the screen will lock up then slowly come back. I can recreate this one over and over again.

The game runs great on my machine even late game "client-68fps, server-10.9fps, graphic mem-768.0mg, and sim-30fps. I do know that disabling anti-virus and shields makes a world of difference for me.
  15. SamseDK

SamseDK New Member

Crashes random in a game "connection to server lost" error, everytime....
    And when I create a game, 90% of the time, I start as spectator, and not in the game :/
    crash can be seen on my stream here: http://www.twitch.tv/samseman/b/507939817
  16. jorisk

jorisk Member

When i look at your video in the end, the server crashes EXACTLY the moment the Advanced Air Factory is done fabricating its advanced fabrication unit.
  17. ron01x

ron01x New Member

My game crashes the second i go to another planet, doesn't matter what unit i load but as soon i send an unit to another planet it crashes, been able to simulate this 5 times now
  18. nixtempestas

nixtempestas Post Master General

This is really odd, everyone seems to be getting it at different places, and I haven't experienced any crashes at all. Closest I got was the screen locking up when I tried doing a planet smash. Exiting the game and reconnecting fixed that (though I later read pressing f5 fixes it too)

what operating systems are people running who are getting the crashes? (Win7 64bit for me)
  19. ron01x

ron01x New Member

I am using windows 7 64bit, i have ATI rhadeon 7850 crossfire and 8g ram
  20. SamseDK

SamseDK New Member

here's my dxdiag

Attached Files: