What did you learn from the PACE Martius Mayhem tournament

Discussion in 'Planetary Annihilation General Discussion' started by Quitch, March 1, 2014.

1. Quitch

Quitch Post Master General

Firstly, thanks to all those in PACE who helped arrange and run the Martius Mayhem tournament, it was really good fun.

As the first big tournament in Gamma, and I'm sure for several players the first time they've really had to fight top players, what did you learn and what went well?

My biggest lesson is that my RTS long game sucks, as it has since the dawn of my RTS gaming. I play a reasonable to good opening, but once you start having to tech up I fall apart. I found I was over-reliant on T1 swarms and never really understood when to move to T2 or a T2 economy. Sometimes I'd go for it too fast which put me behind, or I'd go too late which also put me behind. I think experience will fix this, if I just play more I'll get a feel for it and feel more comfortable with T2 options. I also need to remember that T2 is more than fighting units and should get out some advanced fabbers.

I am pleased with my expansion though, I found I generally kept my economy in good shape and I was almost always spending efficiently. I need to tweak my opening energy slightly, and I could do with putting more radar and perhaps a turret or two amongst my expansions (or have some bots on standby), but all in all I did well on the economy front.
    zombiefan564 likes this.
  2. zombiefan564

zombiefan564 Member

What I learned from the PACE tournament is I need to expand more and protect my expansion bases. Also using aircraft builders on planets with a lot of hills makes for faster expansion.
    Also Quitch a tip from me scout.
    Quitch likes this.
  3. wondible

wondible Post Master General

Yeah, I keep forgetting that radar is actually useful now.

Getting better at proxy bases, but they put a fabber out of use for the length of the walk, so it will take a while to figure out the right time.

Torpedo lauchers are powerful. So is advanced naval.
  4. mered4

mered4 Post Master General

I learned that I need to get back to my old habits that I learned from the bot patch.

Mainly, multiple fronts, multiple strategies. It's the only way I could have beat Superouman, and it's why I lost to Gandalf. I've also discovered that not many people are good at naval :)

Yay. :p

Hopefully I can continue to be competitive in the future with this stuff.

Players who have made the invitational from this Tourney:

Cola_Colin
    Godde
    BurntCustard
    Matizpl
    [M0dC] Pt4h
    [RLM]Mered4
    [BL] Murcanic
    Murcanic likes this.
  5. stuart98

stuart98 Post Master General

Don't underestimate Gil-Es. They've got too much HP and are OP.

Do poorly in MM so that you can get the bottom seed.
  6. cptconundrum

cptconundrum Post Master General

I learned that I need to practice naval.

Also, it can be very useful to switch your overall strategy mid-game. I was able to force a bot war all over the planet and then quickly switch to t2 air before my opponent knew it ws coming.
  7. Fr33Lancer

Fr33Lancer Well-Known Member

The main things I can come up with :
    • Commander push can be all (Matiz vs Gunshin) or nothing (Gandalf vs Pt4h)
    • Nukes are useless without solid intel (Matiz blind guesses on the "final" vs Cola, when the former had control of more than 2/3 of the planet)
    • Not regroup all the eco (energy mostly) in a single spot so it's easily raidable
  8. Quitch

Quitch Post Master General

Yeah, I suck at that. Great at seeing when and where someone should do it, but terrible at doing it myself :) Not just scouting, I should have been harassing you more, I gave you free reign to rush T2 because I didn't really do anything to pressure you early on.

I was surprised how well my bots fared against your first Slammer group.

But they require a little micro.

Personally, I should have done more T2 vehicles and gone vanguards or shellers. Those are much more suited to my style of play, but I haven't managed to get into a habit of getting vehicle fabbers.
    Last edited: March 2, 2014
  9. riddick3

riddick3 New Member

ASAP surround your comm with a few flak cannons.
    Murcanic likes this.
  10. OathAlliance

OathAlliance Well-Known Member

I learned that Gandalf bluffed his awesomeness, Murcanic IS the best Canadian and that Colin is a champion.
    Murcanic and proeleert like this.
  11. barragan88

barragan88 New Member

^I learn to keep the harassment on Metal, Base, and make your move fast. and Intel is everything in this game..
  12. cola_colin

cola_colin Moderator Alumni

I am surprised how it went overall.
    mered4 and paulusss like this.
  13. zombiefan564

zombiefan564 Member

Yeah when my Slammers shot you're bots they would always miss for some reason. Also the thing that really helped me against you in that game, was the advanced radar. I could always see where you're units were and could always prepare for when they came IE by building turrets or moving my tiny t2 army.
    Quitch likes this.
  14. cptconundrum

Two of my wins involved me connander pushing. Neither of them fully won it for me though. The first time, I damaged a base and just walked right through, then I made another base on the other side. My other successful commander push, I moved him up with my army when I was losing pretty bad. I ended up retreating, but i was enough to turn the game in my favor.

Of course, I also pushed against superouman, surrounded myself with walls in the middle of his base, and wrecked a bunch of stuff before getting killed anyway.

My point is it doesn't have to be all or nothing. You can push with the commander at just the right time to get yourself an advantage without actually ending the game.
  15. paulusss

paulusss Active Member

My experiance of online playing was zero, nil, nada! Was it a good idear to join a tournament and been trowns right into the deep, HELL YEAH! i have learned i need to expand more, and playing online will teach me to multitask allot better. I would also like to thanks everyone who made this possible, it went smoother then i thought it would! And i love that i have experianced it.
    mered4 and cptconundrum like this.
  16. Fr33Lancer

Fr33Lancer Well-Known Member

Haha, would have love to see that :p
    Was that match casted by any chance ?
  17. cptconundrum

Sadly, no. We both thought it was pretty funny. He drew me out with pelters and I had to walk into his laser towers to deal with that. The end. :(
  18. matizpl

matizpl Well-Known Member

I've learnt that forgetting t2 bots might end up not too well for you.
    I've learnt that nukes aren't so good anymore, especially if you dont have air dominance to scout
    Rest is basically irrelevant xd
  19. cptconundrum

ColaColin is very good at spreading himself out. I think nukes work a lot better at people that aren't him.
    LavaSnake likes this.
  20. cola_colin

cola_colin Moderator Alumni

The game before godde nuked me to death.
    Then again goddes nukes are probably != other peoples nukes.
    Oh also did anybody ever try out orbital to do scouting since the latest updates?
    It might actually provide a whole layer of conflict to to fight for vision that is not shut down by simple aa towers.

If all of matiz nukes had been perfect hits I would have been very dead.