1. Orbixx

Orbixx New Member

Hey guys,

Great game, I have lots of hardware, some of which I put aside for gameservers, but I'll be damned if I run Windows Server on them.

Any chance of a Linux binary for the dedicated server?
  2. jeeringsole

jeeringsole New Member

^Whats wrong with Windows?

Server 2003 ftw
  3. FuhrerMike

FuhrerMike New Member

What's wrong with Linux? Do you know how many popular webservers/gameservers run Linux based platforms?
  4. Orbixx

Orbixx New Member

Aside from the technical nuances and the fact it does not incur any licensing fees, it also has a significant market share for servers worldwide.

I don't want this thread turned into a OS slanging match and I'm not going to be 'outraged' if they decide not to support Linux, but it would be significantly beneficial, at least in my eyes, as it can only serve to increase the amount of servers available to players.

Precisely, pretty much every multiplayer game Valve has ever made supports both Windows and Linux, natively so for their server counter-parts; just look how popular those games ended up becoming.
  5. jeeringsole

jeeringsole New Member

Yes valve does support linux, however windows does have more compatible game servers. If a developer is low on resources, or is straight up lazy, they'll usually skip out on linux.

Plus TC admin, and many other wonderful control panels for game servers are Windows only. Though I do prefer linux for webhosting. If you have so many machines it's a bit surprising that you don't have some sort of mix.

Anyone tried using wine or play on linux to get this running?
  6. Llamatron

Llamatron New Member

Tried to run through wine and it didn't work, and from my experience usually UE3 stuff doesn't go well with wine. imo best bet to have a stable server on a linux machine would be something like a headless VirtualBox running Windows XP :p

Or Uber releasing the Linux server asap, atm it's almost impossible to find a spot on a decent server.
  7. Esvandiary

Esvandiary New Member

Just adding to the voices asking for a Linux server (and dedicated Blitz if possible, but I imagine that could be complicated).

Linux is very widely-used for gameservers, including the one I administer. We'd really like to have an MNC server. :(

Hopefully Epic don't try to squeeze more money out of UberEnt to use the linux UCC binary...
  8. Flashman

Flashman New Member

I would love to run some MNC servers in Australia. Currently there are 9 Australian MNC servers, so a maximum of 108 (out of 21 million) Australians can play MNC on a local connection. I really hope the game gets a local following, but I only have Linux boxes.
  9. BulletMagnet

BulletMagnet Post Master General

Considering that there's only about 100 servers up so far; us Aussies are doing a damn fine job.

But yeah, the number of servers would asplode if a Linux build came rolling along.
  10. Humbug

Humbug New Member

we run both windows and linux servers. Would be good to have linux binaries then we'd have a choice of what to run it on :)
  11. Orbixx

Orbixx New Member

I realise it's only a day or so since release and that the guys are probably hastily dealing with bug reports, but it'd be nice to have a brief answer from them on this soon, it seems certain nations are seriously lacking servers at the moment.
  12. red_one

red_one New Member

13. Joh

Joh New Member

+1

I'm currently hosting through vmware, but a native server would be far more beneficial.