Theta Commander

Discussion in 'Planetary Annihilation General Discussion' started by Raevn, February 26, 2014.

1. LavaSnake

LavaSnake Post Master General

True. Could we get an official word from Uber here?
  2. cptconundrum

cptconundrum Post Master General

The same message was posted in this forum.
    https://forums.uberent.com/threads/...able-as-part-of-the-steam-holiday-sale.54921/

"You guys will also get him" seems more likely to mean all of us if it was posted here.
  3. LavaSnake

LavaSnake Post Master General

That's what I thought but it would be nice to have a confirmation. At least we'll know tomorrow when we check our armouries.
    cptconundrum likes this.
  4. lazlopsylus

lazlopsylus New Member

Depends on if the armory is released tomorrow as part of the first gamma update. The armory is mentioned as a feature that will be rolled out during gamma phase, but I don't think it's been definitively said whether it will be in the initial build that will be released tomorrow...
  5. sirbostontbagparty

sirbostontbagparty Member

Well I'll have that one :)
  6. Quitch

Quitch Post Master General

@BradNicholson can you clarify the language "you guys" in the sale communications?
    LavaSnake likes this.
  7. keterei

keterei Active Member

It looks like a big dumb ogre.
    [​IMG]
    The concept art looks better. The model's torso and legs look cool but the shoulders, arms, and 'jaw' make it look kind of silly. Oh well, the crab and raptor commanders are more my fancy anyway.
    Last edited: February 26, 2014
  8. KNight

KNight Post Master General

Alright I'm back for round 2!

So first up, We have this comment made early in the Feb 8th Live Stream, indicating that there would be 4 specific Rigs.

Secondly we got this Live Stream Q&A Question from Feb 8th, 2013, where it's stated that at the time there were no plans for a Commander with tank treads.

Lastly there is this question from the May 17th Live Stream where the 4 rigs are further confirmed and Spider/Multiped Rig is also confirmed.

So all that taken together left us with the impression that there were going to be for rigs and no tank commanders, knowing right off that one rig was Bipedal, later adding Spider/Multiped and eventually also adding Raptor to confirmed Rigs. At that stage one could easily assume that the fourth rig would be for the Theta as based on the Concept it seemed to have distinct elements that didn't suit it well to the Bipedal Rig.

I'm just wondering what happened that changed things around such that Tanks got slotted in and if possible what was planned that tanks replaced.

Mike
  9. garat

garat Cat Herder Uber Alumni

Well, based on a quote from a livestream a year ago, my guess as to what happened was: we started making them and Steve decided he liked the look of a tank commander.

An extra biped rig would be great, but personally, I'd rather have the variety that the tank adds in.
    Quitch, sypheara and shootall like this.
  10. KNight

KNight Post Master General

Any chance you could do some snooping for us then? ;p

Mike
  11. garat

garat Cat Herder Uber Alumni

Honestly? No. I never heard any expectation of a second biped commander, or even serious discussion of it. I can see why the assumption got made, but we went with the rigs we did for variety.

There's no snooping to be done. We make the decisions we make because we think they're the best ones for the game. I can't really investigate incorrect expectations. :) As you said, it was your impression, but other than a reference that was apparently in a live stream (I've been working on the gamma build for 18 hous today, so you'll forgive me if I don't go re-watch it), we never locked down hard expectations on what the commanders would be because until we started experimenting with a bunch of different bodies, we weren't entirely sure. Steve did a test that included a ton of variations (no rigs, just grey box tests) that had a few dozen different body types, rig styles etc, as part of his concepting phase, and these four rigs were the ones that provided the most variety and interesting commander types for _all_ players.
    ooshr32, lokiCML, drz1 and 3 others like this.
  12. Dementiurge

Dementiurge Post Master General

I'm trying to imagine the Theta Commander using an animation set that fits its kickstarter picture, but I keep picturing one of those irritating "haters gonna hate" images.

So, only one biped animation set? Sounds good to me.
  13. paulusss

paulusss Active Member

If they did it differently they got a good reason for it. Can't we stop using there own words against them, and instead ask why they did it differently, instead of attacking them with there own words. With most things people keep slapping them with there own qoutes, kinda starts to get old, especially you mike, give them some ******* slack.

And Garat go home, don't work yourself to death!
    lokiCML, gingerflash1 and sypheara like this.
  14. wondible

wondible Post Master General

And that, folks, is why we usually don't get release dates.

*hugs* to Garat and the rest of the Uber people slaving away for our benefit.
    lokiCML, Teod and drz1 like this.
  15. tatsujb

tatsujb Post Master General

same.
    aevs likes this.
  16. Quitch

Quitch Post Master General

...until PA is done
    drz1 likes this.