Air transports

Discussion in 'Planetary Annihilation General Discussion' started by ikickasss, February 26, 2014.

1. beer4blood

beer4blood Active Member

do you not know or understand??? There's already a t2 flame......

Comm should be to heavy for 90 metal unit to carry as well as other t2 units despite the fact I love dropping shellers and vanguard right out side my opponents base.
  2. Murcanic

Murcanic Well-Known Member

perhaps it would be better if yes the T1 transport could not carry the commander (maybe even the inferno?) we could make it only carry bots.... so you can move them around for new bases and flanking armies xD

then they could make an advanced/T2 air transport with abit more health that can carry the commander(or not if that is still too powerful) but also the tanks and things?
  3. brianpurkiss

brianpurkiss Post Master General

I've suggested that a few times.

But people claimed that it was arbitrary and didn't make any sense.

Even though it makes perfect sense for small transports to not be able to pick up big objects.

It's also been suggested that a transport's speed to be determined by what it is carrying. So a transport could go a full speed with a Dox, but really slow with a Commander.

I also like that one, but people also claimed that didn't make any sense or something. Uber dismissed this second one for reasons that I can't remember, but I remember they didn't make any sense.

(Edit) It'd also be pretty easy to implement. If unit X is loaded, speed = Y.
    DalekDan and Murcanic like this.
  4. polaris173

polaris173 Active Member

While this might be true from time to time, I'd say it's more a question of who gets to decide balance. There are lots of different ideas about how this game should be, and choosing one person's over another's would feel arbitrary and unfair to some no matter what Uber does. They are right to hear our input but make the game they envision; community balance mods will come out later (I'd certainly like to take a crack at that), and if they're good they'll get popular.
  5. Murcanic

Murcanic Well-Known Member

The only problem with that is It will start to splinter the community abit, now hopefully there will be a good mod loader that allows one to add and remove mods easily but even then if someone plays most of the time in a modded balance then goes back to the normal game it will play very differently.

Also if we want to have the best community we can and have interesting ladders sure we want the game to be balanced on the starting game but that will take time after features are added in and the game can be looked at as a whole :) overall it will come just look at how far this game has come in such a short timeframe xD its amazing compared to the budget and time it took to make TA and the SupCom's xD Uber is doing some amazing things and we are along for the ride :)

I think they understand the current problems (its talked about every 2 minutes on these forums xD) and that they will fix them :)
  6. menchfrest

menchfrest Active Member

The issue is not that it doesn't make sense if I recall correctly, but that it is not intuitive from a feedback to the user perspective. A regular player wont know the table for unit->transport speed or mass->transport speed, they also wont know the mass of units. While conceptually the idea itself is intuitive, it's more of a case of how do you make it totally obvious what the effect is going to be?
  7. brianpurkiss

brianpurkiss Post Master General

If that's the reason, then that's a poor reason.

There's some very easy UI ways around that.

Example, when you have a transport selected and you hover your mouse over the commander, the mouse turns into a red circle with a line through it.

Easy simple UI prompt that everyone will understand: "that action cannot be completed."

And that's just what I came up with after 30 seconds of thinking.
    DalekDan and Murcanic like this.
  8. menchfrest

menchfrest Active Member

Sorry, to be clear I meant the idea of varying speeds of the transports based on the carried units.
  9. tatsujb

tatsujb Post Master General

Hey! Hey! Hey! Easy on the generalizations there! ;)
  10. polaris173

polaris173 Active Member

Totally agree with this in principle, it's more a question of degrees. Things like T2 air balance, or those Commander transport rushes breaking the game, must be addressed for any semblance of balance. But as you go down the list, and distinctions get finer, people will disagree more and more on what's best. Some splintering will be inevitable, but I don't think that will stop most people from playing the game. And if a mechanic is truly unbalanced and left in at release, most competitive players will likely install a mod that balances it.

Lastly, we can ask for changes, and Uber is certainly listening, but pragmatically Uber is making all the final calls until release. Until that point, they will balance it as best they can, and I think all the major issues will be worked out. From there mods can do the rest, and as people adopt them for mass play, Uber may even just integrate some of them into the game.
  11. Quitch

Quitch Post Master General

Two patches a day, minimum. It'd be something, that's for sure.

Which is why transports make them deadly, it overcomes the only weakness they have.
  12. MrTBSC

MrTBSC Post Master General

a bit off topic but since multiplanetspawns as stated in the recent announcments will be possible this means we will have to test the snot out of that too... cause you know invasions and stuff ... ... and this is where i wonder if you can win with t1 only .... ..... which i doubt
  13. Quitch

Quitch Post Master General

Well, as orbital is T1.5 the answer to that would be no :p
  14. wheeledgoat

wheeledgoat Well-Known Member

15. duncane

duncane Active Member

I’m sure there could be a way to make community balance work…. Some options:

Benevolent Dictator – This is kinda what we have now. Scathis decides the balance, but actively solicits and listens to feedback from the community to a greater or lesser degree. But has the last word.

Democracy – Scathis puts forwards a selection of possible balance options and allows us to vote on it.

Free Market – Anyone can do their own balance. Uber allows for Leaderboards for other balances. There would still be the official leaderboard, but there could also be the Quitch balance leaderboard, the Brianpurkiss leaderboard, The Realm leaderboard etc. The best players would gravitate to the best balance. There would of course be lots of junk, but leaderboards with good balance would rise to the top. The Official balance could take ideas from the most popular ones. This is also in keeping with the social theme of recently introduced gamma features….

Anyway just some ideas ;-)
  16. beer4blood

beer4blood Active Member

I still don't see them as deadly. With ants behind them yes very. Even dropped into your base which shouldn't happen since you will always have aa. Their slow speed would still prevent them from destroying much.

@murcanic I say t1 transports can carry all t1 land units otherwise what's the point? Dox are reasonably fast for almost any planet,I understand you might on very large planets but I usually move them on foot and while my opponent is distracted BAM titanium insects at the backdoor instantly instead of two hours after the dox have died.
    and bots only is also arbitrary ( most commonly used forum word)
  17. nixtempestas

nixtempestas Post Master General

move t1 transports back to basic and make them only carry bots (maybe rebalance them a bit to account for the fact they can only carry light and fast units. )
  18. DalekDan

DalekDan Active Member

Then add t2 carryall/heavy lifter that can carry anything, the only problem with t1 transport that only carries bots is bots are already fast enough to raid well enough on their own.
  19. beer4blood

beer4blood Active Member

Or introduce a game of your design and let simpletons muck it up as you choose. I'm glad that uber is making the calls because community vote would be horrible
    Quitch likes this.