XBox Controller

Discussion in 'Monday Night Combat PC Discussion' started by alanebro82, January 20, 2011.

1. alanebro82

alanebro82 New Member

Is it possible to have an XBox controller hooked up and switch from that to keyboard/mouse mid-game without messing with menus?

I only have wireless controllers (no wireless adaptor), so I'm going to pick up a wired controller after work if the above is possible.

I find that I love keyboard and mouse for 5 out of the 6 classes... but I find the controller to be superior for the assassin, as she doesn't need the precise aiming a mouse delivers.
  2. zarakon

zarakon Active Member

A few things that are easier to do with the assassin using KB+mouse...

- Land exactly where you want to after a smokebomb
    - Quickly switch to shurikens to take out a firebase or player on the upper base ring while juiced
    - Shuriken a turret or gunner while moving and jumping around
    - Lunge around corners
  3. wubnasty

wubnasty New Member

Just as a heads-up, you can pick up a cheap wireless adapter here. Works out great if you don't wanna be stuck right in front of your computer while playing, even more-so if you have your TV nearby and use that as your display when gaming.

I'm sorry, but I don't know if you can switch controls during the middle of the game. I can check this tonight or tomorrow, whenever I can get my brother to stop by and return my controller. ;)
  4. alanebro82

alanebro82 New Member

Oh nice... I didn't know anyone still sold them. I haven't been able to find any. I'll have to check that out.
  5. wubnasty

wubnasty New Member

They've been discontinued by Microsoft so you have to get the Chinese version these days. Funny enough, my Microsoft branded one decided to just stop working one day and I couldn't get it replaced because they were discontinued. Picked up the Chinese knock-off and it's been working like a champ for over a year for less than half the price I paid for the first one. :)

However, in reality, they're probably the exact same thing, constructed in the exact same factory. I just got unlucky with my first one.
  6. [Knovocaine]

[Knovocaine] New Member

One of my friends uses a 360 controller on PC to play and he says sniping is much easier for him. IMO its personal preference. I always played shooters on 360, but now I like M+KB more. :lol:

If you are more comfortable using a controller then by all means invest in it!
  7. faits

faits New Member

You should be able to swap back and forth without doing anything in the menus. When you're playing with a 360 controller you can still use the mouse to select menus and stuff (and in some cases have to use the keyboard, like to switch classes.)
  8. Mastah

Mastah New Member

Off-topic : I love your sig and avatar :D
  9. Cedar Tree

Cedar Tree New Member

I have a similar request along the same lines as this: In TFC and TF2, I could have my keyboard controls change based on the class I was playing. They had config files that would execute when a particular class was selected. If something like this could be made possible in MNC someday, that would be fantastic. :D
  10. Mail

Mail New Member

I support this as well, I'd like to be able to have bomb, air strike, and ice trap on the same button, while also having lunge and the reload button on separate ones.
  11. zarakon

zarakon Active Member

with some work, you can set something like that up using Autohotkey

I have mine set up to move my controls around when I turn ScrollLock on so that I effectively have different assassin controls from everything else

I should probably do something with support to swap hack and airstrike too..
  12. Getsuga Tensho

Getsuga Tensho New Member

I'd quite like the ability to have configs for each class as well, could be quite handy if it could be done. With what you were talking about with Autohotkey, I suppose you could use the number pad for this with one number for each class and you just press that when you change to the appropriate one. Only thing is, couldn't it mess with your ability to use text chat properly? :p
  13. st0nedpenguin

st0nedpenguin New Member

You could easily create different profiles for different classes in the Razer Naga software if you have one, and then bind a mouse button to switch profiles.

Not sure if it'd work as well with other mice though.
  14. alanebro82

alanebro82 New Member

So I picked up that controller, and I sadly found out that you can't configure the controls. I play tactical on the xbox, but I see no way of configuring that on here. Am I missing something or is just this the way it is?
  15. BroTranquilty

BroTranquilty New Member

dont see a way. maybe place that in the feedback forum for pc. there should be an option.

btw...

16. zarakon

zarakon Active Member

17. BroTranquilty

BroTranquilty New Member

18. hideinlight

hideinlight New Member

Don't have game yet, but here's a trick I've learned from UT3 which should also apply to MNC.

Go to Documents/My games/MNC(or whatever it's called)/binaries

If there isn't a binaries folder, create one.

In that binaries folder create a new text file. In my case "gamepad.txt"

This is what's in mine, MNC should be a little different though.
    Code:
    setbind XboxTypeS_RightShoulder GBA_Fire
    setbind XboxTypeS_RightTrigger GBA_AltFire
    setbind XboxTypeS_LeftShoulder smartjump
    setbind XboxTypeS_LeftTrigger jump
    setbind XboxTypeS_LeftThumbstick GBA_WeaponPicker
    setbind XboxTypeS_RightThumbstick nextweapon
    Ingame open console and enter:
    exec gamepad.txt

This should reassign your keys up until the next match, at least for UT3. With this you could assign whatever keys you want to whatever class you playing.