Starting points to close to AI.

Discussion in 'Balance Discussions' started by jermell18, February 23, 2014.

1. jermell18

jermell18 New Member

It has probably already been said, however its worth repeating.

It has continued to be increasingly annoying trying to test/play this game with how the AI and base starting points are set.

1. You start way to close to the other AI players; this leads to you, the player being over run by different AI players before you can complete half of a base. This continues to be increasingly annoying because this has been an issue "forever". This is something i believed would have been addressed some time ago.

This makes it very hard to test the game, and give adequate, accurate feedback. You cannot test all of the content, new implementations, AI, weapons, performance, etc. if your cant even establish a partially functional base. I may be able to complete 20% of my games without being overrun, what that means is 60% of the time im logging out of the game in frustration.

I understand that the game is still in beta, and i will continue to support the devs, and the game. My input and feed back are limited if i am unable to test the full content that has been made available.

Thanks!
    stormingkiwi likes this.
  2. Quitch

Quitch Post Master General

The AI gets spawns just like you, it might start around the corner or on the opposite side of the planet. You can use the economy modifier for the AI to make it easier if it's overrunning you. Set it to 0 if you want a sandbox experience.
  3. jermell18

jermell18 New Member

Thank you, and I am already aware of this.

To have multiple AI and players spawning near or on top of one another isn't the most efficient way to innialize a match. It doesn't allow all the players a full or fair opportunity to emerse themselves in the game.

Adequate testing can't be performed in sand box mode. Affective testing with the AI's full envolvement is the goal.
  4. Quitch

Quitch Post Master General

Then choose something between 0 and 1. Play a 1v1. Play on a larger planet.

This isn't a game design flaw, this is you playing against an opponent too good for you.
  5. jermell18

jermell18 New Member

Thanks for your comments friend but you sound terribly condescending and that's not what I am looking for in this thread.

I am aware of all of the game mechanics that are available at this time. Your last sentence contradicts your first; besides you have absolutely no idea how long I've been playing or what skills I have.

As I said, I've been testing this game for months and I am aware of its mechanics.

Please don't troll, ad something relevant and productive to the conversation.

Thanks!
  6. bmb

bmb Well-Known Member

The spawning system could probably use an overhaul of some sort, but I'm not sure how.
  7. byte01

byte01 Member

In all fairness, I am not a great player either, but the AI doesn't cause any troubles at all. So I believe you should take that advice and accept that you are just not good enough and being outplayed. Knowing mechanics and applying them are two independent things, so stating that you know all mechanics (which I actually find a very strong statement I would not do) doesn't make you a great player automatically.

Final advice, bigger planet and/or scaled down AI. Watch some tutorials. Post a game of yours for more detailed advice.
  8. jermell18

jermell18 New Member

You are missing the point of this thread; my point is to point out on randomly generated planets, regardless of how you set the AI's economy, regardless if you have elite, or novas skills. Multiple AI is placed far to close to you; my thread has absolutely nothing to do with my skills, mechanics or lack thereof.

Add something constructive to the topic, stating that someone's game play is the result of the issue i am presenting shows a lack of reading comprehension.

What does my game play have to do with where, and why multiple AI are spawning way to close even on larger scale planets. Like most of you i am an early backer who's been testing the game months on top of months. This is an issue i neglected to point out for months in hopes that the devs would catch it and eradicate the problem.

With the issue still existing i believed it was time to shed a little more light on spawning.
  9. stormingkiwi

stormingkiwi Post Master General

I agree with OP.

Even in AI one v ones, the two players often spawn close to one another. Next metal cluster. There's an entire planet, and the AI is right next door.

Not sure on reasoning.

As filled player slots increases, so does the number of filled start spots. So real estate decreases. You would expect that at least 2/3 of the time in a 1v1 there would not be an AI in the metal spot next door. You would not expect so in a 10 player FFA.
  10. jermell18

jermell18 New Member

Indeed, and this is the problem i am trying to point out; in 1v1 matches the AI is immediately adjacent to you. I usually encounter this in 1v1 matches 6 out 10 times.
  11. byte01

byte01 Member

I think you should reread your very own first post. You are explicitely complaining being over run by AI starting next to you and being unable to test the game. Thanks for the insulting tone though.