First person view?

Discussion in 'Planetary Annihilation General Discussion' started by omniao, February 22, 2014.

1. thetrophysystem

thetrophysystem Post Master General

If so it would be in it's own game. Possibly on Unreal like RenX, because they have experience there.

This engine I heard them say before in a prealpha stream that it doesn't allow for all the FPS controls although mounting a vision angle to the front of a unit would be simple as pie. It would be missing forward, back, strafe, turn, manual mouse aim, individual movement axis's for unit's bodies, ect...
    hearmyvoice likes this.
  2. godde

godde Well-Known Member

Actually it weren't always useless. It had to be turned off for some units as players would take control of the unit and manually aim in the air to overshoot and extend the units range. It can be exploited in that way so it might cause trouble in PA as well.
    cdrkf likes this.
  3. YourLocalMadSci

YourLocalMadSci Well-Known Member

Interesting. I thought that it prevented you from aiming beyond the range of the unit. Is that a relatively new feature?
  4. trialq

trialq Post Master General

There's a wip indie rts game which does this as a key mechanic, called Dyson. It's pretty much PA if a bedroom coder did it using voxels, it was a kickstarter. I haven't checked it out in a while though, and now it seems to have disappeared from the internet :S

Anyone know what happened?
  5. tehtrekd

tehtrekd Post Master General

It'd be kind of cool, in a Dungeon Keeper sort of way. But overall it'd be incredibly useless.

Maybe an interesting mod idea, but even then... I don't know.
  6. aevs

aevs Post Master General

Doesn't allow for FPS controls? That doesn't make sense to me. Even with some pretty basic modding tools I'm sure it could be done.
  7. godde

godde Well-Known Member

It depends on the weapon types. If it is a ballistic projectile, you can't aim in the air. You have to aim at the ground or at an enemy unit. This could actually fix it for all weapons if you can only shoot at ground in range and units in range. However, you cannot shoot above hills or lead the target manually with this although computers are usually better at leading the target and firing above hills anyway.
    FPSing and manually overshooting is a hard to fix in Spring games with lasers and missiles if their physical range extends beyond their range limit. You have to fine tune their specifications a lot if that shouldn't be problem.
  8. bmb

bmb Well-Known Member

The camera guy mentioned an over the shoulder view. Not strictly first person, but probably better. It's coming.
    hearmyvoice, aevs and stormingkiwi like this.
  9. stormingkiwi

stormingkiwi Post Master General

XD I would follow someone over the shoulder all day long. .. just check out my screenshots.

Probably go from replay though
  10. thetrophysystem

thetrophysystem Post Master General

where moving the mouse adjusts the gun on the unit in all axis's? There are no player controls currently to any single bone on a unit, and units often designed with rigid swivel and lack of any joints to move in certain directions.

clear as I can put it. Possibly moddable. Would be highly forced if using this engine compared to actual fps and less functional with more hooks. Each unit would require like a month of work.
  11. thekiller666

thekiller666 Active Member

This used to be a thing in early alpha but the devs decided against it because it would be to cool.

[​IMG]

I lied.
    Geers likes this.
  12. zaphodx

zaphodx Post Master General

As mentioned it's more important to get the game finished and shipped.

I have high hopes one of our cool cat modders will make it.

As an addon you could have a cpu vs cpu match where teams of players on each side can manually control individual units in first person to tip the battle in their favour. To avoid player controlled units not making much impact on the game some additions might have to be made, e.g. t3 beefy units or 'heroes' that act as generals for a platoon of normal troops.
    Geers likes this.