Performance in v61250/61450

Discussion in 'Support!' started by zaphodx, February 20, 2014.

1. nofear1299

nofear1299 Active Member

Getting quite a lot of crashes unfortunately:(
  2. Quitch

Quitch Post Master General

F5ing fixes the black screen.
  3. mrqasq

mrqasq Member

4. doud

doud Well-Known Member

Hum very surprising, with build 61450 (and intensive particules computation switched from cpu to gpu) i get a lower FPS average. It was better in v61250. Not a big gap. I have to perform further tests, but like Zaph, Performance used to be better before v61250. I'm on nvidia 770 with 4 gigs of Dram.
    I allways play on the same 1200 radius planet, I may should test on smaller planet.
    But since i do not want to be disturbed by AI, I used a large planet.
    If only we could disable AI .....
  5. zaphodx

zaphodx Post Master General

Hmm interesting. Well I will do more testing tonight and post back here. As mentioned previously make sure you update your drivers.
  6. Planktum

Planktum Post Master General

Patch 61450 has increased performance a hundred fold. I'm now getting 100% GPU and about 80% CPU utilisation. Only played short rush matches but it does seem a lot better.
  7. proeleert

proeleert Post Master General

Just set it AI resource on 0 and yourself on 500 :) so you can test quickly no mex or energy required
  8. nofear1299

nofear1299 Active Member

Set the AI to 0 econ? should do the trick essentially. He just stands there
  9. cdrkf

cdrkf Post Master General

I've seen a couple of other comments regarding poor performance in the latest build, mods are very often the cause of the issue (remember the graphics engine has had a major overhaul so there may be some compatibility issues). I'd recommend turning all UI mods off and trying again if you haven't already.
  10. nevillecook

nevillecook New Member

My performance seems to die after about 45 to 50 minutes into the game.
    The sim and server frame rates seem to be ok (sim about 8 to 15 fps, server usually at about 20 to 30 fps), but the client frame rate goes down to an average (going by the ^P stats) of about 1 to 3 frames per second. It's a lot worse than that sounds, as in reality I only get a screen update once every 3 to 5 seconds, and as it gets worse the longer I let it run. After about 60 minutes play time I am eventually getting a screen update about once every 10 to 15 seconds (even though the ^P stats still say between 1 to 3 fps). It makes the game completely unplayable. I've tried this at least four or five times now with similar results every time.

I'm running a GeForce 640 graphics card on a Core 2 Quad CPU in Windows 7 with 8GB RAM. Not a fast system by today's standards, but the CPU performance is not maxxed out, so that alone cannot be the source of the problem. The CPU is at about 70% to 80%, and the RAM still has about 0.75GB free so it should not be swapping to disk yet.
    I've tried updating my graphics drivers while I was on build 61250 to see if that helped. However next time I ran PA after updating the drivers, it updated to build 61450 so I could not see clearly if the new drivers helped or hindered. In general it is now running sightly worse on 61450 than on 61250, and the initial planet display ("Select location") is now always blank. I have to hit F5 to see anything at all - not a big problem, but this was not happing on build 61250, so at least in that sense it is definitely worse now. However that may be because of the new drivers, or because of a change in build 61450. I have no way to tell which.

The performance problem started with build 61250. Before that build I was regularly playing multi-hour games on the same system, with many more units, over multiple planets, without much problem (at least not until my unit count got ridiculously high). I had occasional slow refresh rates during those games, but only for short periods, and nothing like as bad as now.

If you need any more information to help the diagnosis, I would be happy to help. However I'm in Australia (UTC+10.5 hours), so our time zones are out of sync, which means the late afternoon at UBER's location, is mid morning over here.
  11. lokiCML

lokiCML Post Master General

welcome,
    @nevillecook, I recommend looking at UberProbe Performance Upload Thread. Can you post your dxdiag.txt? Are your drivers up-to-date or have you tried beta drivers?:) Most of the issues our driver related. Also what are your graphic graphic settings? How much vram does your card have?
    Last edited: February 21, 2014
  12. abubaba

abubaba Well-Known Member

Runs way, way better for me on my laptop. Core i7 2620m @ 2.8 GHz (dual core with HT), 8GB ram, crappy Geforce 520m, win7. I have no hard numbers, but game feels much smoother. Used to play on 50% subsample, now on 100% with everything on uber/high (edit:scratch that, shadows and headlights were off as per usual.. perf much better anyhow). Havent tried big games because I still play mostly smallish games out of habit.
    Last edited: February 21, 2014
  13. psytric

psytric New Member

I am also suddenly having serious issues. Changed quality from mostly Uber to all medium. Playing on standard generated system nets me about 8 fps at game start. It quickly becomes unplayable.

i5 3470 @ 3.7ghz, 8GB Ram, Nvidia GTX 460 1GB @ 850mhz-> Driver version 344.89 which are the lastest non-beta release.

I realize the video card isn't all that hot, and ctrl+P showed me that Vram usage has nearly doubled since the previous version. All of the performance drop is client. I suspect this is the problem.
  14. lokiCML

lokiCML Post Master General

welcome, @Psytric

Can you post your dxdiag.txt? What happens when you play on low settings?what happens when you turn each setting individually onto it higher value? Also I recommend looking at UberProbe Performance Upload Thread.
  15. aeonsim

aeonsim Active Member

This version seems to be more sensitive to network performance to me than the previous, my frame rate has gone up by 30% but I'm seeing a lot more lag, units skipping about etc.
    FSN1977 likes this.
  16. nofear1299

nofear1299 Active Member

Me as well, I think it is just the pip though- major improvements with the major build but pip decreases perf, I just use it when I need to coordinate something g quickly for now
  17. thetrophysystem

thetrophysystem Post Master General

I notice less performance than last build, probably better than the build before, occasional crashes (pa has stopped working, midgame, was able to reconnect and finish normally), and nothing I seem too unacceptable except some isolated issues with selections and the PRISM (minimap/PiP) like area commands showing green area inside small window but not inside the large window that I gave the area command in (which means you see no green area at all if your small window isn't looking at your big window and you must guess the area you are issuing the command)

I think I will try an uninstall, possibly clear off mods.
  18. istarei

istarei New Member

This.

Never had any problems with the beta until the last update. Now almost every game starts with a black screen but this can be solved by pressing F5 as mentioned here. Didnt know that yet and had a lot of trouble starting a game. Thankfully the "fix" is very simple ;).

Performance felt the same as before so no changes there for me. Runs smoothly since i deactivated the Steam-overlay and assumed that there arent 2000 units on patrol yet.

Last game my gunships had kinda strange behavior. After they were built they tilted to one side and "floated" across the planet without giving them orders eventually ending up in the enemy base and getting shot down. Ordering them back to my place only worked till they arrived there, starting the whole thing over again.

But i think that is not the right Place for bugs.

tltr:

Performance stayed the same for me. ( I did however install the AMD-Beta drivers because i thought i could fix the black-screen issue this way )
  19. uberpenu

uberpenu Member

Just press F5?
  20. uberpenu

uberpenu Member

The F5 key does fix the black screen in the beginning but it doesn't stop the crashes :/, i don't get it I never had crashing problems!