Com drop in tournament on the 1st?

Discussion in 'Planetary Annihilation General Discussion' started by reptarking, February 20, 2014.

?

Com drop rush?

1. yes

47.5%
  2. no

52.5%
  1. reptarking

reptarking Post Master General

I have no idea whether to have Clopses com drop banned.... this is what it can do... Moon com drop.jpg
    stormingkiwi likes this.
  2. stormingkiwi

stormingkiwi Post Master General

Nah. Keep it in. Darwinism. The person who figures out the best defence will survive.

Edit: is poll no, do not allow it, or yes, comm drop rush?
    cptconundrum likes this.
  3. Quitch

Quitch Post Master General

I'd say leave the decision until the 28th and just advise people signing up to be aware the tactic may be banned. Banning is messy so hopefully someone has come up with a counter by then, already people are looking at the whether air first stops it.

Also a tournament filled with 3min comm bomb games would send a strong message :)
    stormingkiwi likes this.
  4. tatsujb

tatsujb Post Master General

winning strategy.

It teleportation banned on FAF? no.

You can do tons of things with it though. maim you opponent's commander in just about a billion different ways.

I find even the suggestion sad.

Did ppl ban zerglings when 6-pool was first discovered?

No. they just altered the oh-so perfect terran build so that they wouldn't fall victim.

If you plan to win, being aware of winning strategies and their respective counter strategies is your job.
  5. brianpurkiss

brianpurkiss Post Master General

Very very much no.

Although I'm very tempted to vote yes for this ^ reason.
    zweistein000 likes this.
  6. tatsujb

tatsujb Post Master General

good nitpick, I understand it this way: the no in the poll is a double negative since the question above it is formulated with the word "not". because of that voting "no" means "let the dude drop" and "yes", "ban him"
    Last edited: February 20, 2014
    Quitch likes this.
  7. YourLocalMadSci

YourLocalMadSci Well-Known Member

If it isn't banned and becomes the dominant strategy in your tournament, despite people constantly trying to come up with counters for it, then I would say that constitutes very strong evidence for it being a broken strategy in need of fixing.

Personally, I think it is more important to treat the game as still a work-in-progress, with data-gathering and testing as the main focus. Providing custom rules in order to make a finely tuned competitive experience is secondary to this goal.
  8. proeleert

proeleert Post Master General

Damn games will be faster than the matchup's for next round.
    zaphodx, stormingkiwi and cwarner7264 like this.
  9. reptarking

I think you just convinced me to allow it for the sake of testing it. if the competitive players in the community cannot come up with a single way to counter this on any planet then this will probably show the severity of this. but also this tournament might be what we need to see a good counter and it will go out to the community like wild fire
  10. monkeyulize

monkeyulize Active Member

According to Scathis this is the first major building block patch for how balance is going to be worked on. Like he said if we limit certain strategies as gentleman's rules, you will lose out on any emergent strategies and continue to play the game in relatively the same way. This is an evolving game, if your play doesn't evolve with it then we can't make progress. Uber NEEDS people to play with the new balance the way it was created, not with some limited subset.
    zaphodx likes this.
  11. cwarner7264

cwarner7264 Moderator Alumni

My decision hinges on whether there's prize money involved.
  12. reptarking

50$ usd
  13. cwarner7264

cwarner7264 Moderator Alumni

Then I think the decision should rest with the sponsors.
  14. mered4

mered4 Post Master General

Be advised that games will end within 6 minutes regardless. (inferno drops)

It will be a wake up call for scathis, I hope.

Just want to point out that the two best defenses to this strategy are spamming fighters and swarming his base, or building one inferno and parking him next to your energy storage.

Building an AA tower early also helps.
  15. stormingkiwi

How many infernos to kill a commander/gut a base?
  16. mered4

One. You use the inferno to cripple his eco at 3 minutes, and you do it again and again until you can drop 4 + your com right on top of him. No hope at that point.

A pure inferno drop take about 10 to be safe, and 6 for an afk.
  17. zaphodx

zaphodx Post Master General

I think it will be interesting to call it the comm rush tourny and watch people simultaneously comm drop each other then start afresh (perhaps leading into another comm drop). Possibly make draws a rematch unless the allotted round time has already been reached.
    philoscience likes this.
  18. stormingkiwi

But why would you not just drop the commander straight up?

That's probably a very good reason why the missile turret should shoot both air and ground. If the transport lands, the turret isn't completely useless.
    cwarner7264 likes this.
  19. mered4

Actually, its less risky. You arent dropping your comm in vs another lone comm.

Mind, one comm with an energy stoarge is worth so much more than one without, but still. Im putting another zero behind my already conservative risk-to-commander probability number.
    stormingkiwi likes this.
  20. stormingkiwi

Ahhh! And of course you have production in your main base in case everything goes south.