Please don't "bump"

Discussion in 'Planetary Annihilation General Discussion' started by garat, February 18, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. shotforce13

shotforce13 Well-Known Member

You can blame that on me, i liked the forum post, but didnt have time to post what i wanted to say. My first time sue me;).
    garat likes this.
  2. SolitaryCheese

SolitaryCheese Post Master General

That certainly is some sort of paradoxon, me thinks.
  3. cwarner7264

cwarner7264 Moderator Alumni

If that's the case, say 'just thought I'd bring this to the top because I've seen lots of discussion on this topic and this thread has lots of useful info'. Or something. Not just "bump".
  4. garat

garat Cat Herder Uber Alumni

Necro'ing a thread with some new thoughts or things to add to it, totally ok.
    BulletMagnet, drz1, lokiCML and 2 others like this.
  5. pownie

pownie Active Member

The bump... savior of an ADD generation that never makes it to page 2.

Following that logic, I hope nobody ever deems too many threads interesting at the same time or he might get stuck in and endless loop trying to keep them all on the first page.
  6. Ortikon

Ortikon Active Member

Have seen a few topics get flamed for necroing when a new member comes in to add to an old thread they managed to find with the search function we so heavily enforce. Telling people "please dont necro old threads" followed with "search for old threads first" is telling new people they dont belong here and that they need to stay out of the old folks club. Hope that settles down a bit. As for topic, yes "bump" is definately a match dangling over my metaphorical gasoline pool of rage.
  7. garat

Oki - Agreed.. In general, especially with new folks joining the forums, we need to be more embracing, and less abrasive (No more "L2S noob!"). It takes a while for people to get their groove. If someone is incapable of being polite to a newbie, they should not post. Otherwise, I'll slap em with a wet noodle. Or suspend them. Either way. :)
  8. carlorizzante

carlorizzante Post Master General

Spanking also works. Specially with women. No... Wait... there are no women on this forum!

Ok. So, suspend them.
    iron420 likes this.
  9. eukanuba

eukanuba Well-Known Member

Wait a minute, something just occurred to me. Is the name of the T1 bot just part of an awful pun? When the unit cannon is implemented, will our bases be rained on by ParaDox?
    jonasmod, squishypon3, cdrkf and 7 others like this.
  10. Geers

Geers Post Master General

Dangit Garat. Do you have any idea how tempting it is just to say "bump"?

Must....resist.... GAAHH!
  11. aeonsim

aeonsim Active Member

Ever considered getting someone to write a plugin for a forum that auto deletes any post that's just the word bump or some variation or repetition of the word, and logs the user out? Wouldn't stop it but probably would reduce it, of course it wouldn't be that hard to get around but still, with possibly a slightly more complex ruleset could work for a while or would at least result in users trying to bump posts to have to think about it, and if they're still going to bump after a warning and auto log out your'd be able to spot them fairly quickly.
  12. Geers

Geers Post Master General

No! no, no no, no. Auto-moderation is never good.
    iron420 likes this.
  13. KNight

KNight Post Master General

Actually, in theory it can in certain instances with clear right/wron scenarios and clear indicators.

Doin something where say for example, if some one were to make a post with the word "Bump" and was fewer than say 7-10 words it could flash a warning and require a second confirmation to post.

Obviously one would need to be careful about what actions are taken automatically and would need to be up front about it with users but it is in theory functional.

All that being said I don't honk it's something we really need here.

Mike
  14. cwarner7264

cwarner7264 Moderator Alumni

Heh. I moderate a semi-popular subreddit. I disagree in the strongest possible terms.
  15. garat

I don't honk so either. :D
  16. lapsedpacifist

lapsedpacifist Post Master General

I'm gonna wait until you've all forgotten this thread and it's sunk to the deepest darkest pits of the forums, and then I'm gonna necro it with a single 'bump'.

Because that's the kind of sadist I am: patient, quiet and worst of all, I think I'm funny.
  17. Dementiurge

Dementiurge Post Master General

I must be the only person who dislikes having to go back through several pages to figure out when an ancient thread was bumped and the discussion restarted.

...Also when I find myself emphatically agreeing with a quote from a poster who turns out to be me. :mad:
  18. Raevn

Raevn Moderator Alumni

"It's almost like this guy is inside my brain, he thinks exactly like I do!!!"
    ninjadude501 and stuart98 like this.
  19. chronosoul

chronosoul Well-Known Member

I'm a little conflicted on this, The community and fan Art thread wasn't updated regularly, but when it was, it was always refreshing to look at. Its hard to contribute consistently to that thread to have it in the first 5 pages of general discussion. But I guess if people used the search function, it wouldn't be a problem.
  20. arthursalim

arthursalim Active Member

They say an image is better than a thousand of words soo i brought you somenthing
    [​IMG]
    Auto moderation is never good
    Quitch, lokiCML, Geers and 1 other person like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.