PA League Seasonal Opener [Tournament]

Discussion in 'Planetary Annihilation General Discussion' started by reptarking, February 4, 2014.

1. Fr33Lancer

Fr33Lancer Well-Known Member

Thanks for posting those.
    Learned a few tricks (like Rocket Jump's early T1 bomber harassing expanding fabbers) :)
    Weirdest match was 4, with TrialQ apparently losing patience by deleting his comm, yet he had quite an edge with air superiority.
  2. Quitch

Quitch Post Master General

That all seemed to go surprisingly smoothly, so good job to everyone involved.
    reptarking likes this.
  3. pownie

pownie Active Member

Indeed. A thank you to everyone involved, but especially to the players who went about setting up their games and reporting outcomes (backed by PA Stats) like nobody's business. That went impressively well in my opinion.
    reptarking likes this.
  4. totalannihilation

totalannihilation Active Member

lol!
    but you are the one who rushes T2 air
    I had to learn early rush just to fight you :p

But aside from that, the tournament was really good, it was really fun and I learned lots of stuff
    some people questioned the need for the phantom round.
    The swiss style proved to be effective, but some people always tend to get longer games (zombiefan's fault! just joking)

For those who werent on IRC at the end of the tournament, here is the final results
    http://imgur.com/pRANanQ
    Last edited: February 16, 2014
    reptarking, Quitch, naginacz and 2 others like this.
  5. zombiefan564

zombiefan564 Member

:) That game was a special game I can't believe I even held out from that many bots.
  6. mered4

mered4 Post Master General

I have (un)officially named myself the Nerf T2 Air Committee chair.

Please submit all complaints in as many places as possible so this madness stops and we can get back to big armies and air cover.
    naginacz likes this.
  7. OathAlliance

OathAlliance Well-Known Member

I've very proud of all of our casters and officials who worked very hard to keep things going. We also have some great ideas for the next tournament.

We'll be talking things over and ironing out the rough areas this week, but we plan on the next tourney being more structured.

Sadly we lost almost 1/4th of the players who signed up, while we were able to compensate eventually it did throw things for quite a loop.

We may end up imposing a very small fee of some sort(an idea that was tossed around, this has not been decided yet) to ensure that people who sign up will show up(or at least have incentive to do so).

Once again, great job everyone, lots of fun. We'll see you for the next tournament!
    elonshadow likes this.
  8. naginacz

naginacz Member

It's true, I am using T2 air rush, but I hate this style of play. Even when I win.
    It makes me feel like a cheater;)

In addition, some players have mastered the T2 rush to perfection. A few times I've seen during the tournament T2 Air Factory in 4:40.
    I repeat: the fourth minute and forty-seconds of the game.
    You can of course defeat such a player with a bit of luck.
    For example: http://nanodesu.info/pastats/chart?gameId=33551
    Unfortunately I can not find a record, and I'm curious how this happened :).

Now fear is to run the game 1v1 :)
    As for me, it's too stressful :)
    Last edited: February 16, 2014
  9. carlorizzante

carlorizzante Post Master General

Yeah, it's so rare to get a good planet to play on.

I imagine that soon there will be some kind of standard planets, some better than others, on the Shared System Library.
  10. carlorizzante

carlorizzante Post Master General

Well, cheater you are not, 'cos everyone can do the same. It's not about using a dirty trick, it is the game that at the moment is not well balanced.

Hopefully the new build will give us some alternative to T2 air rush. 'cos even if they're totally legit, they're also a bit boring.
  11. darac

darac Active Member

TA won because Mattrmunson decided to build gunships.... had he built bombers I think this would have been different.
  12. proeleert

proeleert Post Master General

Hope everyone had fun !
    Updating the results live / checking pastats was frentic at some times !
    Hope you guys didn't have to wait too long between games we were doing our best to optimize the time.
    Next time it will be even better, I'm sure.
    carlorizzante likes this.
  13. wpmarshall

wpmarshall Planetary Moderator

My 4 casts from the Tournament are going up over the next few days with Round 1 uploading as we speak; Superouman Vs Cola_Colin. I had to cast that one at double speed in chrono-cam in order to make time for the beginning of round 2. It's a good one! :D
  14. wpmarshall

shootall and Fr33Lancer like this.
  15. elonshadow

elonshadow Active Member

For those of you interested all matches that I have cast are up on my youtube:
    PA replays

Edit: I heartily recommend Godde versus Giggle, 4th match

And a link to every seperate match:

shootall, elitedanzel and Fr33Lancer like this.
  16. reptarking

reptarking Post Master General

Alright all you PA junkies. I thank all of you that participated in this test run of a Swiss style 1v1!!! next patch will bring something on a different level to all of our play styles. I hope for everyone to be as excited to play in the tournaments PACE throws as I am to help PACE grow and introduce swiss to all of you. I'll be honest, I had no idea that the community could adapt to doing swiss so quick! after two rounds we had a total of 42 competitors still playing for the rest of the tournament and we worked our butts off to ensure the last 3 rounds went off without a hitch, and as far as I know we had no huge problems other then all gaining that much more hate for the strong advanced bombers.
  17. reptarking

reptarking Post Master General

Q&A on TS at 192.241.141.184 ip, no port or password
  18. wpmarshall

Round 3 ~TotalAnnihilation Vs Mattrmunson~ Livecast

19. totalannihilation

totalannihilation Active Member

I was so stupid to believe that I could early rush doxes on him before he had air
    it seems that T2 air is the only reasonable response in this patch
  20. omgdude177

omgdude177 New Member

Sorry I'm late to the party but here you guys go.

Round 1 - Game 4

Round 2 - Game 1

Round 3 - Game 14

Round 4 - Game 6

Round 5 - Game 5