Please improve performance quickly!

Discussion in 'Support!' started by hipy500, February 13, 2014.

1. hipy500

hipy500 New Member

Hi all,

I have a request, could you guys please improve the performance instead of after finishing the game. This will take a long time and the game is even heavier then Gta IV at the moment...

Also random question: Why do I have to enter this unreadable captcha everytime o0
  2. zaphodx

zaphodx Post Master General

Performance improvements are coming in the next patch which should be out soon. Optimisations are done at the end of development so new additions don't render previous optimisations void.

The captchas are for bots. Once you've made some posts the restrictions are removed.
  3. plink

plink Active Member

Hi Uber, can you release a finished game before you finish it?? kthxbai :rolleyes:
    mrqasq, Antiglow, stuart98 and 3 others like this.
  4. Nayzablade

Nayzablade Active Member

Lol
  5. leighzer

leighzer Member

Its hard for me to want to log on this game when I've been in some huge lag matches where nothing happens, but as others have said they'll fix it towards the end. When it gets fixed I'll be on this game like a cat on a dead zebra
    -> ye ha!
  6. Somath

Somath New Member

I postet a way to boost performance a bit it uses a program named sandboxie

This gave me a lot more fps mid game i whent from 8fps to 40 plus

Let me know if it works out for u:)
    MCXplode likes this.
  7. cptconundrum

cptconundrum Post Master General

If sandboxie is helping performance, that's pretty strange. It is a vm sandbox for improving security, not performance. It may be preventing some hdd writes, which could help sometimes. How much memory does your system have? I wonder if it is using the page file too much.
  8. Somath

Somath New Member

Im running the game on a i7 3.2
    Ati hd 68970
    And 8gb ram

Im not sure how but sandboxie seems to do something what helps vs memory leak
  9. cptconundrum

cptconundrum Post Master General

Makes sense. I wonder if it can also point out what is causing the leak so the devs can work on it.
  10. SXX

SXX Post Master General

I doubt PA have memory leaks. I'm have copy of 59607 which working for about a week non-stop, no leaks here. :D

PS: Just to be clear, main problem of PA at moment that it's not freed memory it's took before, but all memory that already allocated seems like used fairly efficient. E.g this instance really working for about week and have 4GB memory usage, but it's not randomly go higher.
    Last edited: February 14, 2014
    cptconundrum likes this.
  11. Somath

Somath New Member

I agree but what works for u might not work for some one else:)

I agree with thee the great job of PA btw!i mean its a beta and im crash free so;)
  12. MCXplode

MCXplode Active Member

Interesting finding with sandboxing the threads, I noticed when PA launches under linux gpu-sandboxing has errors with coherentui. I wonder if coherent is sandboxing gpu processes properly. I get good performance on both windows and linux with amd catalyst propieratory drivers and radeon 7750, sometimes over 40fps,
    but I am curious what video card to you have wondering if it is lower end then mine:cool:
  13. MCXplode

MCXplode Active Member

I am unable to sandbox in linux because I don't have SELinux installed, and I don't think my kernel source came with the SELinux module in security section seems how I compiled my kernel myself kernel-3.6.7 or does SELinux automatically complile into kernel.

Has anybody tried using SELinux to sandbox PA in linux, I am curious as to what the outcome would be.

On another note I can kill most of "CoherentUI_Host" pids and still have PA run correctly. If i kill the wrong coherent thread then UI stops function can't issue commands to units but PA still keeps running along. I have 7 pids for CoherentUI spawn and can kill all but 2 of the them after I have loaded the game. If I leave the 1st & 3rd CoherentUI_Host PID threads running PA UI still continues to function, 3rd Coherent thread uses most memory like 122MB or so, PA thread still uses the most CPU and memory like 2-3GB. I wonder what the different tasks of the coherentui threads are.
    running ArchLinux with LXDE n Openbox
  14. SXX

SXX Post Master General

I'm explained that here:
    https://forums.uberent.com/threads/...oss-multiple-architectures.53103/#post-809656
    You're running with "software UI" so you most likely don't have GPU process.
    As long as I understand there is 4 page rendering processes:
    1. One for main view that control everything include user input.
    2. One for cursor rendering.
    3. One unit/structure icons rendering.
    4. One for special icons aka selection boxes and so.
    Basically PA run all 4 processes on startup, but only use 2, 3 and 4 page renderers only once. After it's get rendered icons those processes aren't required, but if you use Coherent debugger you'll able to change icons/cursor in runtime.

PS: So basically you can kill everything except main Coherent process and renderer that used for main UI view and game will work just fine.

Ah there is also one process that runing without params and I'm not sure what it's doing, but it's not main process and it's can be killed without a problems. Possible it's plugin manager.
  15. MCXplode

MCXplode Active Member

When I do run it without the software-ui flag it does attempt to run the gpu process in sandbox mode as reported in the log and terminal and I don't know if that process is working correctly. Interesting 4 other sandboxed rendering threads. I am wondering if actually running PA with SElinux would eliminate the need for the software-ui if it is able to correctly run PA in sandbox mode where it would a have separate instance of X or mesa or whatever instance its using for xorg. There are some of us that want to eliminate the need for the software-ui as I hope it is only a temporary bugfix for the gpu process crashing, we like to find real workaround as it that at least thats my main goal with all this screwing around with the gpu process threads. I wonder how the 4 sandboxed rendering threads are affected by the software-ui or if they are affected by it at all. Coherent is still running 7 threads either in software-ui or gpu mode.
    Last edited: February 15, 2014
  16. SXX

SXX Post Master General

I doubt SELinux can change anything.

I can give you an idea how you can make Coherent work properly: make it use LLVMPipe instead of FGLRX. I tried and wasn't able to do that, but it's definitely possible. Might be I didn't tried hard enough because Catalyst have worse performance on my hardware than FOSS drivers and I have no intention to use it anyway.
  17. MCXplode

MCXplode Active Member

Interesting Catalyst drivers run worse for you, I guess chipsets are related to drivers performance as well some working better with catalyst and some not. LLVMpipe is definately better optimized just a problem of the newest chipsets being supported under FOSS of course you should be able to use LLVMpipe in software mode with FGLRX don't know how that works, of course newest chipsets not supported well under catalyst either. They need to figure out a shrewd trick to make LLVMpipe use the gpu. My hardware has much better performance under catalyst with radeon 7660D or 7750 I wonder how other chipsets perform under FOSS>
    Last edited: February 15, 2014
  18. SXX

SXX Post Master General

LLVMPipe don't need GPU; it's software renderer, but it's totally enough for Coherent needs.

Technically you just need to make Coherent use Mesa GL with LIBGL_ALWAYS_SOFTWARE=1 and not Calalyst. E.g optirun/primusrun or expirimental Nvidia PRIME doing something like that already.

Your hardware is handled by RadeonSI driver that just not yet there in terms of performance, but it's should have 50-60% of Catalyst I guess.

Here is result of my Unigine Heaven testing:
    https://gist.github.com/anonymous/af707d470d5482d053e1
    Actually performance are really bad due to slow CPU, on i7 2600K (but without AA) I got 61FPS with FOSS drivers and 50FPS with Catalyst.
  19. Geers

Geers Post Master General

Check the sticky thread, it really helps. My PC can run Crysis 1 and 2 on max with practically no issues but it struggled with anything above low on PA. After I read the thread I got 65+ FPS on uber settings.
  20. planktum

planktum Post Master General

Super low FPS and the GPU and CPU utilisation is below 50%, what gives?