Not Another Nuke Post

Discussion in 'Planetary Annihilation General Discussion' started by commandercorona, February 7, 2014.

1. commandercorona

commandercorona New Member

This post isn't another one of those "Nuke OP" "Remove Nuke" or any other discussion about why they shouldn't be in PA, rather the opposite, I think nukes are just fine. This post is my two cents on the visuals of it.

Nukes are cool, they make big explosions, take out large groups of enemies, and everything that should be in a game about blowing things up. However, the act of nuking is anticlimactic in my opinion, even if you have radar over the base, you just see the dots go away. When the nuke explodes I'd like to see it give vision for the duration of the explosion. It's not like you could use it for scouting, everything in the explosion radius blew up anyway. I want to get some satisfaction and be able to see what I destroyed getting blown up.
  2. Clopse

Clopse Post Master General

Haha yeah I always have to rush a scout in just after so I can smile properly. Don't think what you mention is necessary or should be put in but understand the feeling.
    stormingkiwi and iron420 like this.
  3. matizpl

matizpl Well-Known Member

hahahah I do exactly the same
    websterx01 likes this.
  4. MrTBSC

MrTBSC Post Master General

1 or 2 second blink before impact would be enough ;)
  5. iron420

iron420 Well-Known Member

I guess the nuke itself could be a sort of scout unit? Best. Scout. Evar!
    zweistein000 and sunsun like this.
  6. chronosoul

chronosoul Well-Known Member

I think once the game gets into full polishing mode. It would be nice to see the Nuke reveal the terrain before it lands.

I know in World in Conflict the area is revealed before the explosion. Only on nukes you launched though.
  7. websterx01

websterx01 Post Master General

I wish nuke explosions were more colorful. As it is, they are so darn bland. Then again, I'm a graphics hunter. Everything has to be the best of the best. But still!

(Also, these uber love posts are the best!)
  8. wheeledgoat

wheeledgoat Well-Known Member

+1
    it would be explainable to reveal the nuke's area of impact, on the premise that it would have a camera on it...

but I say we don't even need a rationale for it. show me the gratuitous violence! i worked for that nuke!
  9. wondible

wondible Post Master General

Could be interesting if the missile launcher became more of a proper factory for one shot units. You could start out with 'scouts', build some tactical missiles, and then nukes when you started having surplus echo. Then anti-nukes would be a more general anti-missile system, with overlapping coverage required to stop a nuke, rather than a straight binary.
  10. pownie

pownie Active Member

Nope, I'm against showing what was blown up by the nuke if you don't have vision on the area already.

Go scout the enemy and see what he's got before launching the nuke. Not get rewarded on top of the destruction for lobbing a nuke into the general direction of an enemy by learning that you just managed to take out a big chunk of his T2 power, production, unit blob, defensive line or whatever. Even if it's gone now, it's still valuable intel to know that is has been there in the first place.

Maybe a compromise could be that you see a destruction animation for buildings you've scouted earlier, even if you don't have vision at the time the nuke goes off. But that could lead to confusion when you "saw" a building blow up, that doesn't even have to exist anymore by the time you get your nuke in.

Anyway:
    If in doubt, scout.
    Don't nuke, for a fluke.
    carlorizzante and vyolin like this.
  11. LeadfootSlim

LeadfootSlim Well-Known Member

commandercorona likes this.
  12. commandercorona

commandercorona New Member

Yes I'd also really like to see, hear rather, nuke launched sound as mentioned in your thread.
  13. Dementiurge

Dementiurge Post Master General

I'm guessing you've lost too many games of battleship.
  14. meshakhad

meshakhad New Member

Agreed. I'd also like it if nukes left a crater, so if a nuke goes off somewhere else, I can at least know where.
    elonshadow likes this.
  15. mered4

mered4 Post Master General

Nukes making craters....drool....
  16. elonshadow

elonshadow Active Member

Yes please!
    Of course nothing too mayor but some terrain deformation would be swell.
  17. xanoxis

xanoxis Active Member

I think nukes should make "moon-like" craters where you can still move and build, because they arent high enough to stop you.
  18. Geers

Geers Post Master General

In all honesty nukes shouldn't even be hitting the ground. Air burst does far more damage. But then again you won't get awesome screenshots like this:

[​IMG]
  19. vyolin

vyolin Well-Known Member

Absolutely. Just because it differs from traditional intel it is still intel and that should not be handed out so freely. Displaying a gray-scaled version of the nuke explosion effect on the other hand - yes, sir!
  20. carlorizzante

carlorizzante Post Master General

I dunno.

The nuke is a dummy instrument of massive destruction. Why should it have a radar onboard?

Plus, since it is quite visible when a Nuke is inbound ('cos the massive damage it will deliver) it is part of the game for the opponent to try to move out of the way. Perhaps he will manage to save something.

So, let it be. If you want Intel, I would say that you should simply send a scout afterward.