can we say that PA is halfway to be completed

Discussion in 'Planetary Annihilation General Discussion' started by melhem19, February 5, 2014.

1. catses

catses Member

I'm sure they have a marketing budget, but more than likely they are also planning to let the product speak for itself and let the community do a lot of the work for them. Which is fair enough, it's a dedicated fanbase.

It would be nice if PA was recognised as the go to RTS game on PC (aside from starcraft), but whether it will gather enough traction to be generally accepted by the gaming community or not is up for debate.

I think it's possible, but a lot will depend on how fun and how accessible the game is (ie system specs). An excellent demo near release would be handy too.

Or even an open beta close to release... or really aggressive pricing. Though that's kind of unlikely.
  2. menchfrest

menchfrest Active Member

Offline play works(at least LAN) but will be remain unreleased until at or near release for several reason, including not having modders mod something in flux, get more feedback because all servers are Uber servers and so will provide statistics and such to Uber, not need to deal with the problem of "Is this a bug or someone running the server on too low end a machine", and maybe to also limit piracy of the game in the mean time.

Also, I doubt Uber has a good idea of when the true ETR is, their process(with a touch of simplification cuz I don't wanna wiki SCRUM and copy paste) is along the lines of: Make some short goals, attain said goals, evaluate results, repeat until done
  3. tatsujb

tatsujb Post Master General

I guess all we can say for sure is that they have not lunched the game yet. : D

Ahhh ? : D Ahh ? : D
    drz1 and melhem19 like this.
  4. mered4

mered4 Post Master General

The most successful games are usually ones that are simple to pickup, with some complexity, but a ton of depth, which makes them difficult to master.

SupCom was difficult to pick up, Starcraft a little less so. Both have a ton of depth and complexity. PA is as simple as they come: energy and metal for resources, only two types of ground units, etc.

It is really difficult to master this game, however. You just keep coming back for more.

That's what is going to sell PA in the long run. When I say marketing campaign, I mean saturating the web and maybe TV with how awesome and simple PA can be. How dedicated and welcoming our community is, all in a 3-4 week campaign before release.
    corteks and melhem19 like this.
  5. stonewood1612

stonewood1612 Well-Known Member

Finishing the game...

is not a priority right now.

Someone in the devteam must have said that once, I'm sure. I just know it.
    mered4 likes this.
  6. melhem19

melhem19 Active Member

when the game gets release, this doesn't mean its finished, they will still work on it to make it better and better
  7. garat

garat Cat Herder Uber Alumni

There is a trusim about many creative endeavors that getting to 90% is half the work, and getting the other 10% is the other half. We're fast approaching the 90% mark, in my opinion. We still have things we want in, and the coming months will see those come to fruition. But that other 10% isn't something you can "finish". It will be the work in progress, along with whatever else we are able to do with PA in the years to come. Polish, balance, ongoing content creation, new systems, new play modes, new ways to mod, etc all make up part of that 10% that build on the original 90% foundation.

That's kind of a non-answer, but I think it's easy to misunderstand the amount of work that goes into the various stages. Getting something most of the way there, "ship-ready" is a pretty easy to define amount of work, at least in retrospect. But the things that will continue to really polish the heck out of a game, and improve the experience in subtle but meaningful ways is pretty much never finished and can, if you let it, be an infinite time sink of work. :)
    elwyn, corteks, FSN1977 and 10 others like this.
  8. Pendaelose

Pendaelose Well-Known Member

This made me want to toss my arms up and shout "Say it on the Mountain! Amen Brother!"

I make much less exciting logistics automation software as my day job, but even there I (and the other devs) actually depend on management to come over and tell us, "It's OK guy, it's good enough to ship... you can stop now."

There's a drive to try and squeeze every little optimization out and streamline the UI in every way we can. It feels good to make a great product, but we do eventually meet diminishing returns. It's not worth weeks of coding to optimize a load 5 seconds faster for a process the user runs one a month. Once you're nose deep in the code it can be easy to lose sight of that.
  9. chronosoul

chronosoul Well-Known Member

If this game was ran by EA, it would be expected the game would be 95% done and a hard release date of MLK weekend or somthing.

So glad this game was Kickstarted with the developers in complete control in when the car will reach its destination.

I can honestly say its been really cool seeing the development as it happens compared to just testing to see if a helicopter is balanced.
    corteks and LavaSnake like this.
  10. galaxyisos

galaxyisos Member

IMO 90% of game is completed.remain part(10%) is the most difficult part of the process.if devs dont have their own vision ,unfortunately rest process can take forever:D
    i am sure they are knowing what they are doing;)

my guess is that PA will be completed in 3 months:)
  11. mered4

Thank you for sharing with us your inside knowledge from the City of Champions.

May the Seahawks live on in glory.
  12. mered4

You have brought EA into an area where it is considered an insult of the lowest class.

Well played.
  13. carlorizzante

carlorizzante Post Master General

I wouldn't expect PA to be released before six months. And if it will take longer, I wouldn't be disappointed either. It takes time to make a title this ambitious.
    v4skunk84 likes this.
  14. arthursalim

arthursalim Active Member

"But...but.....i like EA"-No one-02-04-14
  15. mered4

Word of caution: Firefall has been saying that for years now. Years.
  16. v4skunk84

v4skunk84 Active Member

I agree.
    I think we all have at least 4 months to wait for launch.
    A lot of people seem to forget that the longer Uber take with PA the better the game will be in the end.
  17. thesambasti

thesambasti Member

As others have mentioned, so much of game development is related to backend stuff like servers and engines, so we're almost definitely more than halfway done. I'm hesitant to say how much longer it will take though. So far it looks like Uber can work at a remarkable pace, but it's really hard to predict of there's going to be some issue or holdup that will delay the schedule.

Does it really matter though? You can buy and enjoy the game now, everything else will come with time.
  18. melhem19

melhem19 Active Member

the thing is that my internet is too weak for PA, i can download update to the game , but not play the game, when i start a game the frame rate drops dramatically.
  19. tatsujb

tatsujb Post Master General

I really may have everything to do with the graphic card, not so much the internet connection.
    Last edited: February 6, 2014
  20. abubaba

abubaba Well-Known Member

There is one critical part of the game missing: interplanetary play. Which arguably is what separates this game from other RTSes. After a fun and functional system for interplanetary is in place, I'd say the game is looking pretty good.