Will players in the Galactic War share economy?

Discussion in 'Planetary Annihilation General Discussion' started by carlorizzante, February 4, 2014.

1. carlorizzante

carlorizzante Post Master General

I just had a thought.

Will players in the Galactic War share their economy? If we put 40 players, 20 per side, and make them sharing they economy, it may all end up in some unpredictable situations.

If I join the game middle term, I may find my Commander able to draw resources from an impressively strong economy, built by players who preceded me. It could be already stellar. I could literally start from T2 and built the hell out of my T2 fabbers.

But if more players screwed it up, all their troubles could sum up in a negative chain reaction that could ultimately stall their shared economy with no possibility to recuperate. Specially if the opposite faction will keep improving their economy exponentially.

It could be game over few hours earlier than when players will actually see it coming.

Well, obviously mine is just a speculation. What's your pick?
    wheeledgoat likes this.
  2. tehtrekd

tehtrekd Post Master General

I've thought of this too, but it also brings the question of "will armies and structures be persistent?" (remember, metagame)
    Pretty much I've come to the conclusion of "Wait until someone breaks into Uber HQ and leaks the playable test version of G.W. for great justice"
    I mean wait until it's released. :cool:
    cdrkf likes this.
  3. menchfrest

menchfrest Active Member

I think you're confusing the large 40 player games with galactic war. see: https://forums.uberent.com/threads/psa-what-galactic-war-actually-is.53312/

I believe there are games that are both already shared economy and just alliance, and the ability to jump in game late has been suggested as a maybe I believe. So I think likely it will be entirely up to how the game options are set when the match is configured.
    stuart98 and cwarner7264 like this.
  4. bobucles

bobucles Post Master General

This war is not fought with space ships or between solar systems. It's so fast paced that even FTL space ships get left behind. If Total Annihilation lore is the inspiration for PA, the Commander exists because bamfing a single elite army-in-a-can across the galaxy is the fastest possible way to wage war.
    cptconundrum likes this.
  5. carlorizzante

Yes. Of course.

And also because so we can have a game to play.
  6. menchfrest

menchfrest Active Member

It's more of so we can have a TA based game to play instead of a game like Sins of a Solar Empire.
  7. bobucles

bobucles Post Master General

A huge facet of PA is with its random planet generator, so players have a different game each time. At the very least, the galactic map will help players select matches by letting them choose from popular map settings. If things go well there may be a metagame attached, something like the campaign you might see in 40K Dawn of War or the Empire Total War series.

Total Annihilation had a boneyards multiplayer mode. Some number of teams fought over a series of connected maps. Conquering the sector (or perhaps crushing the homeworld?) would give that team a victory. That would be pretty cool for PA.
    carlorizzante likes this.
  8. lokiCML

lokiCML Post Master General

Confused:confused:

There's definitely going to be a galactic war (metagame). It was one of the stretch goals from the kickstarter campaign. All goals were met.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Boneyards#Galactic_War - good information about boneyards
  9. KNight

KNight Post Master General

So which are you talking about, Galactic War or 40 player games?

Mike
  10. stormingkiwi

stormingkiwi Post Master General

Will teams in the Galactic War share "economy" within the meta game?

Presumably it would be closer to Rise of Nations conquer the world campaign - i.e. you take over a gas giant, you get some kind of bonus resource income in subsequent battles, you take over a desert planet, bots are 20% cheaper, etc.
    cdrkf likes this.
  11. LeadfootSlim

LeadfootSlim Well-Known Member

Something like that would definitely be interesting to see.
  12. ledarsi

ledarsi Post Master General

My personal thinking is that the main kind of "piece" available on the galactic war level is the Commander. Instead of having economy like in a single PA game, the galactic war metagame would be about using commanders. A team on the galactic war scale might have many commanders, but not so many that they aren't precious. Then, you must decide where to send them. The "economy" is local to each system, and ownership of planets would be shared by each team.

I think the biggest difficulty with galactic war is how to deal with "owned" planets and systems. Seeding highly developed systems with large quantities of units and structures would be realistic, but it makes aggressive moves much, much harder, especially if you attack with just commanders.

Which makes me think that players need a way to attack heavily developed worlds using the kinds of resources that might be available to a heavily developed world. Such as constructing a fleet of ships, for example. You can fly a semi-independent fleet of ships to a hostile, well-defended world, and use it to invade.

What this creates is an early, mid, and late game in the galactic war. Early in the game players are rushing out into the galaxy, using commanders to capture worlds. And attacking these systems using just commanders is feasible because they aren't developed yet. Later in the game, planets are better defended, so you can't just send a naked commander. But you have more resources, which you can use to attack with more than just naked commanders.

If planets develop as time passes, controlled worlds could develop automatically, giving its owners more assets in the system if there is a battle, and increasing the system's productivity for making commanders, fleets, etc. No micromanagement on a turn-by-turn basis, and no economy shared or redistributable between planets to allocate to specific players.

So, yes, economy would be essentially shared because ownership of systems is shared by the team.
    Pendaelose and cdrkf like this.
  13. nixtempestas

nixtempestas Post Master General

There are so many guesses and opinions about what form GW will actually take we really aren't going to get anywhere until we actually get the thing.
  14. Methlodis

Methlodis Active Member

KNight already explained most of the in his Galactic War fact sheet here: https://forums.uberent.com/threads/psa-what-galactic-war-actually-is.53312/

But to answer the original question, using information from the devs both on the forums and talking to them. If you're talking about sharing resources/economy with allied/team players within the same game I would assume that different times would support different types of games (aka team games and alliance games) with each having to choose to share the economy or not. Whether they add a feature that would allow you to choose what type of game mode to use when attacking/defending a planet is up in the air, and the devs haven't talked about it.

In the 40 players games the Realm use to set up when the client side modified games were working, and each team had ten players, sharing the economy wasn't too bad as long as you could coordinate. But I don't know what a 20 player team would be like. And I would assume in would indeed be difficult. More than likely larger games would force alliance modes, or have a modified alliance were several teams are allied to each other but would separate the economy. But this part is just speculation.

On the other hand, if you are talking about sharing economy/resources between different players in the meta game of GW that are earned during the confrontation to use in other games, the answer is this is not how the system will work. The base system will simply being a map, with each system being a battle or match if. Player factions (or teams) will fight over the world that they don't control, presumably along each others borders. Besides unlocking new paths to attack more planets when a player team wins a system, the resources will not be used outside of that game, and are reset for the next match to take place on that plant. Its pretty much a advanced and board-game like match making system.

There is however room for the developers to give players abilities, features, or units when they own a certain system that will effect the matches within the meta game. But this has not been announced by the developers to be in the works or planned.
    lokiCML and carlorizzante like this.
  15. carlorizzante

Trust no one, ever. Even very good people fail you, time to time.
  16. carlorizzante

This basically answers my question, thanks :)
  17. carlorizzante

I admit to have confused the two.
  18. KNight

KNight Post Master General

Okay, but maybe now you can clarify?

Mike
  19. cdrkf

cdrkf Post Master General

That reminds me of the plot of the film "Fanboys" lol...
  20. carlorizzante

Yes, of course.

I confused the Galactic War with the maximum limit of players in a single session. Which is 40 if I'm not mistaken.

So I assumed that in the Galactic War, there will be 40 players, divided in two teams of 20 each. And I was wondering how would it be to share economy with other 19 players.

I still did not understand if in the Galactic War there will be allowed more players, and how many.

But the final answer for now seems to be just wait and see, 'cos no one really knows yet :)