1. tatsujb

tatsujb Post Master General

while I condone and fully understand.... what about the upsides to Unity? I mean it's boasting full directX support.
  2. cdrkf

cdrkf Post Master General

DirectX support in linux?!
  3. wheeledgoat

wheeledgoat Well-Known Member

lmao. look at the thread title, then look at what the last page and a half of posts are about.

:cool:
  4. tatsujb

well that thread title was a bad one and yes Linux is no longer excluded from the directX familly.
  5. menchfrest

menchfrest Active Member

That I thinks requires a link, unless you're referring to a wine-esq support. If in your earlier post you are referring to the unity game engine that does not use DirectX for anything but windows and Xbox. Or do you mean Unity UI?
  6. tatsujb

No I'm referring to the unity engine and how it allows you to build a DirectX and PhysX game for linux if you so desire.
  7. menchfrest

menchfrest Active Member

But it's not actually DirectX on those platforms, it uses opengl instead.
  8. SXX

SXX Post Master General

It's also have OpenGL renderer on Windows and some developers recommend to use it as workaround when they met D3D-related bugs.
  9. thetrophysystem

thetrophysystem Post Master General

Ohh, is that like how Starbound is developed and it has a launcher for the game and a launcher for OpenGL if someone prefers to launch like that instead?
  10. SXX

SXX Post Master General

There is no launcher, but you can force it to use specific renderer using command line switches:
    http://steamcommunity.com/app/230190/discussions/0/846965056702683267/
    Possible you can also force it though app configuration file, but I'm not sure about that.
  11. thetrophysystem

You probably can, and I meant from the steam thing. Like in Starbound's case, there is a button to "launch" and a button to "launch (opengl)" and a button for "settings" and "developer site". However, you probably can specify it through app configuration. I would hate to have to do it each time through command line, but other games where it isn't it's own branch of launcher you probably do have to specify it to render differently via command terminal each time. Hey, it's better than it not working at all.

Does mac have DirectX support?
  12. menchfrest

menchfrest Active Member

DirectX is Microsoft products only, there groups that attempt too reimpliment it on other platforms(see wine), but offically, only Windows, Xbox and Windows Phone 8
  13. SXX

SXX Post Master General

To be fair I don't get your idea why you need to use such switch at all. Though you command line switch doesn't mean you need to use command line. Steam have option that let you set flags/switches for game start and you can create shortcut with those.

Obviously no.
  14. SXX

SXX Post Master General

Correct me if I'm wrong, but as long as I know Wine doesn't re-implement D3D, but instead it's implement more low-level stuff like DXGI. This basically why you still need D3D DLLs which is actual API implementation.
  15. menchfrest

menchfrest Active Member

That may be correct, I haven't looked at the details in years
  16. thetrophysystem

Wait...

...So, in Renegade X, they say they are using Unreal 3 from July 2012 which has Mac support. Unreal says to package for Mac, just put it through a 3 step process which basically rearranges the folder structure and then builds a new mac launcher. Yet, I hear Unreal runs off of DirectX so how would it run off Mac then? Does that also re-direct it to work with OpenGL instead?
  17. SXX

SXX Post Master General

Unreal Engine had multiple renderers since it's first version I think.
    You can run UDK (which is based on Unreal Engine 3.5) in OpenGL mode easily.

Also Unreal Engine have own shaders compatibility layer called ubershader for materials.

PS: Just in fact, most of game engines designed to support multiple API and they only promoted as DirectX titles because they use Direct3D by default. D3D-only engine is CryEngine 2/3 (while first version had OpenGL), but I guess it's will change soon.
    Last edited: February 4, 2014
  18. tatsujb

No, from what I know wine adds directx.
  19. SXX

SXX Post Master General

Actually "native" DLLs it's one from Microsoft while "builtin" are re-implemented by Wine project.
  20. joped

joped New Member

2560x1440 on my main monitoring. However, the game is in windowed mode and can't get it to go to full screen. I shrunk it as small as I could and still same affects.

I purchased it on steam. How do I download the non-steam version ?