Army of Two Open. Sign up sheet(Tournament)

Discussion in 'Planetary Annihilation General Discussion' started by reptarking, January 31, 2014.

1. reptarking

reptarking Post Master General

For all the TO's the tournament falling into a bad situation was my fault... I had to leave on an emergency and was the only person used to writing and doing swiss pairings. I also made this tournament far to quick with only filling the 16th slot 7 hours before the first games. I am making a whole knew template for swiss tournaments that will work so much better for the future and not one screen with all the brackets on it that has 20 people looking at it. If you wish to give me another shot at directing a tournament and having another shot at the swiss system with all of you I would be very greatful. The first try is always where you learn the most. I will be having more meetings with TO's to go over all what a Swiss style is and will put descriptions in the tournament detials.

Sincerely sorry, RLM Gandalf
  2. zaphodx

zaphodx Post Master General

I'm not criticising Gandalf here, just pointing out things we can learn:

1 The tourney director should not be casting. Their sole job should be organising the tournament and brackets, communicating with players and casters, and keeping people in IRC updated.

2 The tourney director should have an assistant/backup to help and step in when the director is busy.

3 Every player in the tournament should be in IRC, no exceptions. Their IRC name MUST be the same as their tournament name and their ingame name for easy communication and pinging them.

4 Minimum amount of observers in games to reduce server lag for all. Maximum 2 dualcasters.

5 All 3 of my games had great orbital play and were very interesting. However orbital is not fleshed out and far too easy to stalemate. Bomber patrol strats doesn't help game performance. In short, games that don't work yet shouldn't be played.

6 Rehosts should be announced immediately and not after random viewers declare it unfair. In the final from what I can tell both teams had 18 or so mex between each players, with fair expansions for both teams.
    Last edited: February 2, 2014
  3. nebulafox

nebulafox Member

Hey, Gandalf, S**t happens. We learn and get better. And besides, thanks for the tournament.
    It was still a great experience. This whole 2v2 thing has taught me a lot, and I mean a lot, about playing RTS. I also want to thanks my team mate, Nephylim. I am now a slightly more organized noob.
    jodarklighter likes this.
  4. proeleert

proeleert Post Master General

Yeah, things could have gone a bit smoother.
    Next Time I'll be happy to help out in casting or some role.
    I think al games should be dual cast. And the casters should be the referees as well. Reporting directly to the organizer.
    First 2 minutes after spawning don't be afraid to rehost.
    Will save much more drama afterwards !

Oh and when the system sharing mod is complete. The Organizer should create a set of good systems. And they should be shared with each Caster / Competitor at least 2 days before the tourney.
    So then the competitors can test out the planets before hand.
    Last edited: February 2, 2014
  5. reptarking

Yea. With the formation of a committee of officials and casters we will never be short again. And I agree 100% with a director should never be involved in casting. If I never have to cast again because we have the numbers I would be delighted. Next tournament is announced Monday. Hope I can have the starting of the committee being formed by then
  6. totalannihilation

totalannihilation Active Member

Also, reading through the tracker list, it would be interesting to not have lava planets nor rocky planets (water=0) in the tournament, since some players are having several issues with loading them
  7. neptunio

neptunio Active Member

Another win for clopse.. can he be stopped??
    Clopse likes this.
  8. elitedanzel

elitedanzel Active Member

I'll dual cast with you :)
  9. proeleert

proeleert Post Master General

Cool, sounds like a plan :)
  10. neptunio

neptunio Active Member

Does anyone have complete brackets to this tourney so I can add them to the tournament database? Thanks
  11. omgdude177

omgdude177 New Member

12. neptunio

neptunio Active Member

Thanks, database updated.
  13. reptarking

Next tournament to be announced in 5 hours 20 min
  14. Quitch

Quitch Post Master General

Anyone know what happened in games 13, 14 and 15?
  15. cdrkf

cdrkf Post Master General

Hmm this is interesting- I remember what happened in the Weakest Link tournament when I (mistakenly) left the option of 'allow players to report their own scores' turned on.... Who was it that forced me to turn that option off now, can't quite remember.....
  16. Clopse

Clopse Post Master General

If memory serves me it was a Swiss style tournament. And those games turned out out to be a 3 team FFA in which orbs team won while we got a bye because we were unbeaten.
    Quitch likes this.