Huge tournament in the works!!

Discussion in 'Planetary Annihilation General Discussion' started by reptarking, February 2, 2014.

1. reptarking

reptarking Post Master General

Sorting some stuff out but as of now its going to be a 1v1 Swiss on a single planet. The tournament will have at least a 50$ prize pool, if it does not get there by sponsors I will provide the rest to 50$. But If 50$ is reached I will add 20$ to it. This will be a 5 round event with no finals but the players scoring 4 points or more will be entered into an invitational tournament later on in the coming months. This tournament will be aiming for 64+ players. So await tell Monday and you won't be disappointed.
  2. brianpurkiss

brianpurkiss Post Master General

Exciting stuff!

I love it that we're already getting competitive on an incomplete game.
    stuart98 and carlorizzante like this.
  3. reptarking

We will bring a whole new level to the tournament scene!
  4. matizpl

matizpl Well-Known Member

1v1 on single planet - me likes a lot
    reptarking and carlorizzante like this.
  5. FXelix

FXelix Active Member

So I say it now, if you start a tournament, I'm in. Any date/time to say yet?
  6. zweistein000

zweistein000 Post Master General

Assuming I won't be overflowed by school work and wont have power outage issues (like I had for the past 2 days) I'm interested. Unless it's for ultra high skill players only.
  7. totalannihilation

totalannihilation Active Member

the earlier the announcement, the more players will join
    last two tournaments I found out about them when they already started
  8. Martenus

Martenus Well-Known Member

I would like to participate as a competitor but also help with organization, count me in if you need anything. I can handle things pretty good regarding Excel etc.
    jodarklighter likes this.
  9. carlorizzante

carlorizzante Post Master General

Awesome. I'm in :cool:
  10. wpmarshall

wpmarshall Planetary Moderator

Count me in as a TO, but maybe leave a bit of time before the tourney (for example set it for mid March > We've had a lot of big tourneys lately.
  11. omgdude177

omgdude177 New Member

Count me in, I can be a TO or caster whichever one you need.
  12. masterofroflness

masterofroflness Well-Known Member

I would like to be a caster in this tourney and double as TO
  13. chronosoul

chronosoul Well-Known Member

Not sure why you can't have a couple of moons in the match. Single planet games are not that exciting.
  14. jodarklighter

jodarklighter Active Member

Single planet system games typically last 20-30 minutes. Adding moons or other planets can extend game times to 40 or more minutes, increase lag potential, and increase the likelihood of stalemate conditions, all bad for a tournament. And the games I saw from the last 1v1 tournament (which were mostly fought on just the starting planet) were definitely not boring.
  15. neptunio

neptunio Active Member

This thread has made me erect
    matizpl likes this.
  16. chronosoul

chronosoul Well-Known Member

I didn't say the single planet games were boring. I preferred it when the battle reached space and had serious planet hopping. Just a preference as much as a game lasting 20-30mins to 40-50mins.

This game is about multiple planets and sending asteroids to your opponents. If tournament play gets more and more reserved. Its going to miss out on what this game was designed to do.
  17. reptarking

After last two tournaments we have learned that lag and length of a tournament don't work well with orbital. The stalemate is still a possibility. With each spectator UberMetabolical has told us that it does effect lag. So just doing single planet, 1 spectator unless if its a promoted game looks to be our immediate future tell an actual spectators mode.
    matizpl likes this.
  18. trialq

trialq Post Master General

I sort of agree, but not because of excitement. One moon (only, and as close to the planet as possible) gives the players more options, and there is skill in orbital decisions that should be shown. More than one moon in a 1v1 greatly increases the chance of a stalemate. Not to mention I don't think even the best players can properly micro three planets with the UI as it currently is (with multiple views, yes they could).

IMO if you time orbital perfectly (like good players will) it can be exciting. Every once in a while you might actually get both players with established bases on both planets, and a whole host of options open up that the more skilled players can take advantage of.

But in the context of a tournament (particularly one which has 32 games in each round!), any increase in the chance of drawn out play is bad. On the other hand, if you say a match can be called by a caster after 40 minutes if there's no end in sight (at their discretion), orbital probably wouldn't stall the tournament too badly. It would also increase the amount of draws, which increases the variation in scores, which is good for swiss scoring.

/babbling
    chronosoul likes this.
  19. reptarking

Game length and limiting that by calling it via a ref is something that I'm not comfortable with at the moment.
  20. jodarklighter

jodarklighter Active Member

Wouldn't "not that exciting" be an acceptable definition for boring? I think you can understand why I might draw that conclusion from what you said originally, lol.