Commitee of Tournament Officials

Discussion in 'Planetary Annihilation General Discussion' started by reptarking, February 1, 2014.

1. cwarner7264

cwarner7264 Moderator Alumni

I quite enjoy organising them and would be more than willing to lend my assistance if needed.
  2. reptarking

reptarking Post Master General

Me and some interested Parties are in the works on the weekly kinda league thing
    brianpurkiss likes this.
  3. cptconundrum

cptconundrum Post Master General

Count me in! Either as a caster, participant, or something else.
  4. reptarking

I'm not sure that we would do casting for these to be honest, not all of the games need to have casters.... imo its the training games that some of us do in the higher level that are far greater skill showcases just because we dont have to worry about casting or anything like that and thats when the magic happens and you see micro approach the levels of starcraft with people getting 200-300 APM and the strategies are crazy and everything is just pure battle for just fun and the sake of getting better.
  5. omgdude177

omgdude177 New Member

I'd be down to help. Casting, reffing, the works.
    reptarking likes this.
  6. OathAlliance

OathAlliance Well-Known Member

Best thing I can think of is all of us dedicated casters/TOs getting together and having a big discussion. Come up with some thoughts and insights and then work from there.
    reptarking and omgdude177 like this.
  7. brianpurkiss

brianpurkiss Post Master General

I've been talking with Gandalf and we have some pretty good ideas and some cool plans.

A sit down with all of the interested parties is a good idea.
  8. OathAlliance

We need a time, place and snacks.
  9. reptarking

Don't forget entertainment :) Haha. But yes. I will be over the next 48 hours making a group conversation between anyone interested. Let's get the ground works solidly placed for the future of competitions and high level play to flourish.
  10. mot9001

mot9001 Well-Known Member

I've done many tournaments in the past, and since yesterday it became more and more clear that this commity is not what we need. it becomes more and more obvious to me that ''tournament officials'' are not experienced players that know what is important for players or a good tournament and that they have their own personal interests that directly oppose that of players/anyone that wants to see a good match. I want to talk to you about this Gandalf, because we should split it up between referee's and casters. Example : I would have played a rematch if it was just your call of the first match, then you left because of the truck, and the other ''officials'' totally ignored that when we said we still had our rematch to go because it was not in their interest and it didn't fit their timescheme. I think this definitly should be spoken about soon on teamspeak. This tournament was created into a pile of **** for us thanks to the tournament officials and its not the first time these ''ófficials'' turn out to be just casters.

Make referees and casters and we can hopefully fix this problem. Also we need to make sure that there is a way to keep your referees fair and equal in the decisionmaking. In a good situation, players shouldn't be the one that suggests a rehost, it should be the referee's first check so you don't waste so much time.
  11. FXelix

FXelix Active Member

So, I really would want to help. Say what I can do ;)
  12. beer4blood

beer4blood Active Member

despite your wanting to be cliche, most of us have Sunday as a free day. People like me bust knuckles all week.
  13. proeleert

proeleert Post Master General

If you need another referee just shout.
  14. OathAlliance

Looking back at the chat Mot you guys actually blame the same spawn on a "lack of communication". Therefore it was not a force beyond your control, meaning that I had no reason to rehost.

Even then you or your team mate say you can still play. So I don't see your big beef with me. While I would understand if the game threw you together randomly because of blackscreen or loading issues(1 spawn shows up or something), choosing a bad spawn or clicking the same one is not what I feel as grounds for a rehost.

You assumptions of the "personal interests" and "not experienced" are not only unfounded, but also unfair. While we lack formal rules(which could help in later situations) it still doesn't mean we know nothing. Officials can be casters, it's more efficient and uses less space. We are all volunteers also.

While Gandalf said you could have a rematch I was never in charge of making the rounds. You'll have to talk with Gandalf, but looking back at the game, I think it was fair and didn't need to be redone.

To allow people to understand I am posting the chat log.
    Snip Chat.PNG
  15. mot9001

I think blowing up my commander would be better for us eventually, but more boring for everyone, because the spawns where not fair but we managed to fight even still. A rehost would be the first thing you should suggest, i tried to stop the namecalling btw, but yes, i think you should have just count the mex....
  16. brianpurkiss

Guys, mind taking this to a private chat?
  17. mot9001

oh and also, if 2 players spawn at 1 position, that means the other locations where absolutele shitholes. Unfair spawns lead to an unfair game and bullshit so insta rehost should be a first-check for the referee. I totally didn't expect you to sit silently in the back as official while matt & tedd as players basicly said they didn't want a rehost. As a referee you should step in, count the mex and make a decision, i did not see such a thing happen on the first 10 seconds so i instandly went completely mental on my game to try and do my best, i was VERY suprised to see myself still alive after 15 minutes. Its impossible to chat with a referee while micro a lost game and you don't delete a commander if there is no rehost. And then Gandalf left....
  18. brianpurkiss

Guys. Really. This isn't the place for this debate.
  19. mot9001

why not, there will be more tournaments in the future and we all want whats best for them
    shootall likes this.
  20. brianpurkiss

Then talk about techniques for making tournaments better, not debate on whether a ref's call was a good one or a bad one.

(also, you should use the reply feature so I get a notification. I only saw this because I happen to be "watching" this thread)