Major issues with Uber Launcher Mk.II

Discussion in 'Support!' started by gsuberland, February 1, 2014.

1. gsuberland

gsuberland Member

I've had problems with Uber Launcher since day one. This isn't your run of the mill "download freezes at x%" issue, but full-on failures to catch exceptional cases, and completely broken login functionality. I've had to reverse-engineer the entire launcher, and patch the code myself, and compile it again from VS to get it to work.

First, there's the login. In the supplied executable, the login buttons do nothing. Wireshark shows no outbound traffic at all. From what I can tell, the Newtonsoft.JSON reference isn't bundled with the game at all, and isn't embedded as part of the game resources. It's likely that an exception is being thrown from the LoginWindow.Login() call, but it's not being caught. Since the exception is on the window thread and it's running in x64 mode, it just drops that call and carries on. It's certainly not reaching the point where Env.Log is called, or webClient.UploadStringAsync. VS identified the missing reference, which I then downloaded, and that part of the application works in my recompiled binary.

Then we run into the launcher update code. It seems to completely bomb out, and from what I can tell it tries to overwrite its own executable file while it's still running. Totally bonkers.

Then there are some seriously iffy CDN and service URLs, including ones you've been using for internal dev use (uberentdev.com and sandtrap) plus a localhost service address. On top of that, they're HTTP. That's worrying, because it opens people up to update hijacking attacks whereby an attacker sits on the local network and DNS or ARP spoofs someone into connecting to a fake update server.

Uber: please, please, please put some work into this and get it fixed. I'm lucky enough to know how to fix this stuff, but most people would just give up.
    lokiCML and cwarner7264 like this.
  2. lokiCML

lokiCML Post Master General

Eek.:eek: That's no good and the launcher is running with administrative privilege.:rolleyes:

Uber is currently working on a new launcher. 3 minutes and 55 seconds in to video.

Hopefully the new one doesn't need admin privilege and doesn't have the same or other issues as this one does.
    Last edited: February 1, 2014
  3. gsuberland

gsuberland Member

Indeed. With most home routers exposing UPnP internally, it makes things even more dangerous. Local attacker on the network sends a UPnP request to disable the WAN port, then pretends to be the host "sandtrap". Client tries to connect to the main CDN/SPs and gets nothing, so falls back to sandtrap. System gets pwned. No sniffing, no spoofing, no nothing.
  4. lokiCML

Absolutely and as it stands right now mods have access to the network stack as well due to inheritance have admin rights. So a malicious mod could potentially own your system and send information back to a server on the internet.
  5. SXX

SXX Post Master General

It's not true. UI handled by Coherent UI which have exactly same security levels as Google Chrome. It's page renderer obviously don't have any access to your system or even graphics card because rendering handled by separate isolated process.
  6. lokiCML

The Uber Launcher Mk.II requires admin privileges in order to update or launch PA. Any process subsequently started after the launcher has admin privilege. the launcher should not have to have administrative rights. It should be able to launch and update the game as a normal user only. Right now mods can send/receive data from and to a arbitrary website without any player intervention this should not be allowed. There's no permission/notification system to do that at the moment. Allowing mods to contact an arbitrary website is just as dangerous as letting them interact with the file system.

Here are two threads that have some discussion about security regarding mods.
    Modding Requests from SupCom Modders
    Modding compared with Sup Com
    Last edited: February 3, 2014
  7. SXX

SXX Post Master General

Again. UI doesn't rendered by PA.exe and it's not rendered in main CoherentUI_Host.exe process.
    It's rendered by special isolated renderer process which doesn't have access to anything and have no permissions like main Coherent process.

Again it's not true. You using your browser all the time while posting this message here, but it's can't compromise any data on your computer.

Only thing technically can be stolen though mod it's your UberNet username, but it's possible fixed now. I didn't checked that for long time so can't say for sure.
  8. lokiCML

I'm pretty sure that I'm not explaining well enough. What process isolation does it ensures that two separate processes cannot access the same memory space. Doesn't allow a process to overwrite another processes memory space. Process isolation deals with corruption and security issues by making sure all processes have separate memory space.

When you start a program it has the same rights as the user account that started it. To use PA as an example. The Mk.II launcher requires to be run as administrator. So PA.exe is also running with administrative rights and any subsequent process that is started by PA.exe. Now CoherentUI_Host.exe it started by PA.exe. It follows that all its child processes have administrative rights. I could be wrong but that is my understanding of happening.
  9. SXX

SXX Post Master General

It's wrong. Coherent have exactly same security model as Chromium and it's pretty secure.
    It's can be exploited using same vulnerabilities that Chromium have, but you can't access random files you want and you can't even ask player to provide such access because there is no popup menus for that in Coherent. E.g in chromium user have to initialize file write/read or webcam/microphone access and you can't do that with PA mod.