We need to fix OffTopic

Discussion in 'Unrelated Discussion' started by wienermcpeters, January 22, 2011.

?

should Off Topic have some sort of renaissance?

1. yes, things seem to have become problematic.

6 vote(s)
    21.4%
  2. no, things here are fine.

20 vote(s)
    71.4%
  3. no opinion.

2 vote(s)
    7.1%
  1. wienermcpeters

wienermcpeters New Member

I am making this thread because it has recently come to light that certain immature users are using Off Topic to pad their post counts and seem more reputable. There are members here with hundreds of posts containing nothing of value to anyone. These people are making this sub-forum horrible and still receiving credit for horrible drivel.

I believe that if we eliminate the post counting of Off Topic and start actually banning spamming members of the community, we can curtail this behavior. It is evident that some members of the community have nothing better to do than spam and actively pursue attention and conflict. It is clear that they lack the civility to respect the community and most only serve the purpose of derailing threads, rarely posting anything of value in any other section. These members should be banned or have a label put next to their names.

As of late, certain users are making threads, it seems, to spite moderators and mock the entire setup of this community. I have set up a poll to bring to light what the majority of users of the forum feel about THIS ISSUE. while this is an off topic thread, please keep it on the topic at hand. i believe that most users would contest this IS an issue.

I would like to hear intelligent responses and thoughts as to what we could do as a community to stop this trend.
  2. DeadStretch

DeadStretch Post Master General

3. Grec

Grec New Member

What happened to my inb4 the lock post?
  4. JackTrips

JackTrips New Member

Why so serious?
  5. timmy TED

timmy TED New Member

who said post count made you cool?

we're just having fun
    don't be so serious
  6. peachypony

peachypony Active Member

because he contributes so much to our dear community by bumping old threads, flame baiting deadeye, and making insightful posts such as "lol."

i'm pretty sure the moderators can handle us and i'm sure they appreciate your dear concern. if our off topic threads bother you have the ability to ignore them and move on with your life.

carry on
  7. PohTayToez

PohTayToez New Member

First of all, chill out. You're complaining about what is going on in the off topic section of a video game forum. See those words underlined? Any one of those alone should tell you that this is not to be taken seriously.

Second of all, most of the people doing this are long time contributing members to this community just having a bit of fun. Relax, we'll get bored of it soon and be on to something else.

Also,

[​IMG]
  8. Deadpool FTW

Deadpool FTW New Member

Dang, dem sum big words, ain't they?

On topic, it's perfectly fine in Off Topic.
  9. BroTranquilty

BroTranquilty New Member

yeah, they werent trying to pad their post count.

you could make off-topic subforum posts not count torwards the counter, and they still would do it.

they are legitimately just being random, as well as maybe get a rise out of poor hudson.

irking hudson > posting random stuff like you dont have an attention span, just for the hell of it > post padding.

get rid of the padding the posts give, and they still would do it.

but i understand what you thought, im sure anyone who stumbled across all these panda posts and unicycle posts would think the same thing initially.

viewtopic.php?f=4&t=6659

read this, and you will see that peachy has been doing this to test the limits of a subforum that you should be able to put whatever you want in it and there are no rules. he was angry that he posted something off-topic in the off-topic thread, and it got locked. he is showing that there are worst posts that can go in the off-topic thread and none of them deserve to be locked.

i feel that if a forum dont have a place to put anything and everything you wana type, that follows the general rules of the forums, then that junk will just end up with the important stuff. i understand his points, i agree that posts about pandas do less harm here than it would along with the feedback and issues or the stradegy guides or the game discussion or improvements.
    Last edited: January 22, 2011
  10. peachypony

peachypony Active Member

BT, considering you lack a sense of humor to the point where i question or not if you're trolling or that's just the way you think, you're in no place to judge any of us.

Hudson is on most of our friend's list and loved by many. He wasn't even online when our panda fad started. Keep talking like you know something though, because everyone on here takes you very seriously.

Also, I hope ManaCorporation was banned for posting that pic. I really didn't care to see that.
  11. Ekanaut

Ekanaut Uber Alumni

I'm frankly very tired with some of you and yes trying to push the moderators is getting old and will get you banned. If you're bored go somewhere else and do something productive with your free time.
  12. BroTranquilty

BroTranquilty New Member

thanks peachy, i sure am a stick in the mud :roll: ... i really am, but that isnt such a bad thing...

actually, most of the time i end up posting about/in-the-same-thread-as you ONLY because i hear somebody saying something apparently wrong, like your a hacker or trying to pad your posts (your neither, right?)

and i was the one saying that you arent doing anything of any level of seriousness, neither is hudson really. where else do you get to do stuff like this except in the off-topic thread.

i support the off-topic thread being open for any subject, as long as it follows in the overall forum rules.

ps: trolls cant agree with anyone, that breaks the definition of a troll.

ps: ps: i am at work. doing something productive with my time. checking out random claims of a fire alarm going off, sending the fire department out here for some faulty sensor in a condemned building nearby this construction site. i dont see anything im doing wrong, why cant i be let to do whatever if what im doing isnt wrong?
  13. Ekanaut

Ekanaut Uber Alumni

You can, start your own private forum. Not here. I want to spend my time helping people out with real issues related to the game and not babysit people that want attention.
  14. Grec

Grec New Member

15. Ekanaut

Ekanaut Uber Alumni

Please keep testing. We're fine with cleaning up the userbase.
  16. BroTranquilty

BroTranquilty New Member

and i want you to, and i see how you dont want anyone irking moderators. but i dont see how posting off topic things in the off topic thread gets in your way as long as rules arent broken (when they start to break, release the banhammer). im trying not to personally contribute to anything distracting, i havent started a thread on any topic not related to the game in some way. i just think if its in this subforum, then you dont hafta worry about it cluttering your game feedback subforums. you can read all the wishes of the players, hear all the glitches, go through their messages of praise, and never see anything about a panda as long as it stays here.

as long as we dont have any of THIS, and maybe if we did make these posts not count torwards user's posts record, then this can be a hangout subforum to discuss whatever.
  17. BroTranquilty

BroTranquilty New Member

grecillier's post is gone. i guess thats what happens when you even use the words

[/quote]

Can everyone please settle down? Before they really do clean the userbase?

He just needs everyone to understand the rules here, just cooperate so we can all enjoy the forums. I don't want anyone else banned.
    Last edited: February 26, 2011
  18. peachypony

peachypony Active Member

as per request from eka the panda fad is over. i suggest you lock your doors and hide your panda memes.
  19. BroTranquilty

BroTranquilty New Member

many thanks. from him, all the devs, the mods, me, and anyone else that would have probably been punished should this have gone on.
  20. Ekanaut

Ekanaut Uber Alumni

It's obviously not about pandas. It's the context of a post.