New Build Walls Discussion – Good? Bad? Indifferent?

Discussion in 'Planetary Annihilation General Discussion' started by brianpurkiss, January 28, 2014.

?

A vague poll to help gauge a rough idea of the opinion the changes to walls

1. Like where they are now

43 vote(s)
    53.1%
  2. Like where they were

8 vote(s)
    9.9%
  3. Should be somewhere inbetween

16 vote(s)
    19.8%
  4. Hasn't gone far enough

5 vote(s)
    6.2%
  5. Should be throttled back farther than where they were

2 vote(s)
    2.5%
  6. Other (explained in comments)

7 vote(s)
    8.6%
  1. brianpurkiss

brianpurkiss Post Master General

What's everyone's thoughts on the changes to Walls?

Their cost was decreased greatly from 200 metal to 25 metal, and the hp was increased from 3,000 to 6,000.

This means with very very little metal investment, there's now a barrier with a TON of health which greatly increases the effectiveness of walls.

What are your thoughts?

I think walls have too much health. But I like the idea of walls being useful. Someone else mentioned something about in a different RTS walls weren't really for absorbing shots but rather directing movement. So most units could shoot over walls with relative ease, but they couldn't drive over them. That made walls very useful for forcing enemy units into choke points, rather than being massive damage sinks that can be layered and spammed out. I'd be fine if they kept their health where its at, provided that they are more for redirecting units and forcing choke points rather than absorbing damage. Players building layers of walls is simply too powerful.
    Last edited: January 28, 2014
    melhem19 and stormingkiwi like this.
  2. igncom1

igncom1 Post Master General

I love having walls to build around my various bases and defences, allowing me to solidify a position relatively quickly and make it hard to assault, however there are improvements I think that can be made that can keep the walls stronk but without them being necessarily such a pain in the arse.

Step 1: No more repairing walls, but make wall segments easy to build over destroyed ones.

Step 2: No more clipping bullets through walls, if you can't shoot over, then move around silly missile turrets.

Step 3: Units no longer, ever automatically target a wall for shooting, and no more trying to shoot through them either.

Step 4: Area reclaims and reclaim moves automatically reclaim enemy walls.

Better healthier walls for all.
  3. websterx01

websterx01 Post Master General

They need to limit the effectiveness of turrets somehow. Walls are just... too powerful when you have walls in front. Particularly if you have triple layers of walls.

@evan6565
    brianpurkiss likes this.
  4. mabdeno

mabdeno Active Member

IIRC walls in TA became part of the landscape and couldn't be destroyed by direct fire. They could be reclaimed though.

Wall do work both ways, they stop the enemy getting to your base but also hinder you from expanding unless your willing to either reclaim them as you go or spend alot of metal building more.

I think using combat fabbers is a great way to deal with high health walls and gives the unit another role to play on the front line.
    wheeledgoat likes this.
  5. igncom1

Im almost tempted to say that engineers and combat engineers should auto-reclaim enemy walls on a attack move, or possibly even just by default during a run by with combat engineers.
  6. cptconundrum

cptconundrum Post Master General

If walls are meant to create choke points and funnel armies into kill zones, they shouldn't also be so good at blocking shots. A simple fix is to just make them shorter. Units still have to walk around them but shooting over walls gets easier.
    stormingkiwi likes this.
  7. igncom1

People say this, but a good coke point is one that that does restrict you from shooting at the ambushers, so that you have limited time in the killing zones.
  8. brianpurkiss

Auto reclaim enemy walls would be awesome for combat fabbers. Make them even more useful on the front lines.

I really like that.
  9. lokiCML

lokiCML Post Master General

That would be awesome.:cool:
    brianpurkiss likes this.
  10. Slamz

Slamz Well-Known Member

I think they could go even further with walls, Battle for Middle Earth 2 style:

(about 1:40 in, he starts doing walls)

I'm not much of a turtler but I've never seen much problem with the concept of walls, even big ones that block both movement and fire.
    FXelix and stormingkiwi like this.
  11. arseface

arseface Post Master General

I like them as they are. You can actually build walls with them now and there are still units that tear through them.
  12. emraldis

emraldis Post Master General

I don't really see them as OP, but I think it would be cool if the Inferno could just slice through the walls with its blowtorch. That would make the inferno a really useful heavy seige tank, kinda like a battering ram at the enemy's door or something...
  13. brianpurkiss

Giving the Inferno a boost to damaging walls would be pretty awesome.
  14. emraldis

emraldis Post Master General

It wouldn't need much of a boost either, since it already has a massive DPS.
    brianpurkiss likes this.
  15. LeadfootSlim

LeadfootSlim Well-Known Member

These all sound good, truth be told, but 3 is the big one for me. It feels silly.

I really like walls as they are; it encourages more flanking (which is to say, using the roundness of the planet) and makes turtling - a considerable investment - a little more feasible.

Wall wreckage is the big issue I see, however, as the wreckage has about as much HP as the walls themselves while still blocking shots.

Incorporating this into wall wreckage would be a great compromise. Blasting through them lets you get to the juicy stuff underneath, but you need fabbers or a lot of bullets to clear the path for movement.
    Pendaelose likes this.
  16. brianpurkiss

Yeah. Wreckage is all around an issue.

It makes attacks half as effective because the vehicles can't drive forward since they have to weave in and out of the wrecks. And the outgoing shots get blocked by the wrecks.

All around wrecks need work. I'm pretty sure Uber is aware of that one.
  17. superouman

superouman Post Master General

You pretty much nailed it. However I dont understand what you mean with the step 2
    mot9001 likes this.
  18. ace63

ace63 Post Master General

Why not make walls neutral wreckage like in TA? That way they won't get auto targetted anymore which will already help alot.
    dukyduke likes this.
  19. philoscience

philoscience Post Master General

I like the walls a lot. They force you to plan your invasion and make excellent forward base fortifications. But they are not too hard to take down - if you know they are there a targeted raid can punch a whole for your blobs to go through.
  20. liquius

liquius Well-Known Member

The only way I will ever see these walls as balanced is if they use the same set of rules for both sides.

Either have them so that they only block pathing and both sides can shoot over, or make it so that neither side can shoot over apart from special exceptions like Pelters.

The current implementation just counts as cheap a HP boost to the side with the walls. Uber seems to want them to be used to funnel units. I don't think they can fill both of these roles.