UI: Nuclear Launchers

Discussion in 'Planetary Annihilation General Discussion' started by Bastilean, January 26, 2014.

1. Bastilean

Bastilean Active Member

This would be a useful request. (There are a lot of things going on in this game :eek:.)

I think nukes are working very well right now, however I would like to be able to select multiple nuclear launchers and when I attack something only launch 1 nuke. If I want to overwhelm a target location I can attack that location multiple times.

This would allow me and other players to have a group of nukes such as cntrl 7. When I hit 7 I can make sure all my nukes are building more Inter Planetary Ballistic Missiles and I can fire them at targets of opportunity without deselecting some of them.

One benefit of this is that nukes wouldn't desire to take up all your group command slots.

Another benefit of this is that players would be able to select their nukes while looking at another planet the nukes are not on.

Thanks for reading.
  2. Timevans999

Timevans999 Active Member

Your making it too easy and also nuke defense is ridiculous now with the cost and the still small radius. I don't mind the way they are set but clearly nukes are far too easy to build in relation to draconian defense costs.
  3. Bastilean

Bastilean Active Member

This is a command discussion. If nuke defense is weak, it should be discussed in the balance thread.
    BulletMagnet and brianpurkiss like this.
  4. Pendaelose

Pendaelose Well-Known Member

There are a few other threads talking about exactly this kind of multi-nuke UI rework. During a playtest not long ago the devs answered our questions on the topic. They had not explicitly planned this change, but they agreed that it, or something like it was a good idea.
  5. carlorizzante

carlorizzante Post Master General

How effectively the Anti-Nuke counters the Nuke is a mere function of how easier is to obtain one versus the other. Also that the Anti-Nuke has three shots to counter one.

Both are visible on the map, so if the player takes the habit to scout regularly, he won't miss it.

I would remove the necessity to queue missiles for both. That's a burden for the player that can be removed with no consequences. Both should come pre-loaded with one missile, and auto-re-load in case of launch. The Anti-Nuke should come pre-loaded with the first missile, and immediately start producing the other two by itself.

If all of this is well done, having an easy launch system for the Nuke (or Nukes) wouldn't change anything, apart making the game more fluid.

A player will always have to scout first, in order to designate a target. It would be much faster to use Nukes as defensive instrument, though.

Anti-Nukes will react in automatic as now. So I do not see any problem in having a Nuke button on the UI. Missing to do all the necessary in order to know where to efficiently nuke the adversary won't make a faster Nuke any better.

Indeed, I liked also the idea to add some risk related to having a Nuke Launcher at home, like a risk of detonation if hit. That would force the player in obtaining control on a wider territory in order to build the Nuke afar, or to design a strong defensive network at home before to go Nuke. Rushing into building a Nuke could ultimately annihilate the player itself.

https://forums.uberent.com/threads/missile-silo.56031/#post-861182
    Pendaelose likes this.
  6. emraldis

emraldis Post Master General

I would like to have an alert that tells me if an enemy nuke is headed my way. That would be useful to know... Also, maybe an alert for when a nuke is intercepted?
    Pendaelose likes this.
  7. stormingkiwi

stormingkiwi Post Master General

Eh? It's pretty much guaranteed that your nuke will be nuked?
  8. ezahiel

ezahiel New Member

Well to be honest I don't like idea of simplifying launch process, it is good as it is. Don't improve something that is working as it should :)
  9. tabrisangelus

tabrisangelus New Member

i would like an UI sidebar that shows when my Nukes are ready. ( C&C ion cannon style)
    also the area attack command to work.

i want to Blanket Nuke an enemy base none of this tactical single target BS
  10. Timevans999

Come on chap you started your conversations by saying nukes are working real well. This cannot be the case.
  11. Pendaelose

Pendaelose Well-Known Member

If you have more nukes than number groups available they can become a real hassle. They lack a meaningful "ready" indicator in their UI, so to check on them I have to visually inspect each, and then I have to individually select each and then individually target them. If I have 20+ fabbers assisting each we're looking at a whole lot of time spent just checking nukes, or a whole lot of time wasted between nukes when I could have launched and starting fabbing my next missile. If I control 2 small moons I have enough metal and energy to support this.

I want a sidebar selector that manages every nuke capable of hitting the planet I'm currently focused on. I want to be able to tap out single nuke orders for each, I want to be able to give an area attack that fans out all of my selected nukes evenly, AND I want an area patrol order that intelligently attempts to hit every visible target within the blast radius of at least 1 nuke, and will repeat as soon as the next nuke is ready to fire.

I think it should be stupid easy to fire my nukes however, wherever, and as often as I want. However, I also think we need many more methods for intercepting nukes. We need mobile anti-nukes on naval ships and in orbit. We need the anti-nuke to cover a larger radius, and produce missiles on endless loop automaticly without all the extra clicking. We also need Umbrellas to be revamped with the ability to accurately shoot down nukes while they are in the orbital layer.
  12. LeadfootSlim

LeadfootSlim Well-Known Member

Actually, a UI sidebar for certain special weapons would be great. Teleporters, for instance, being connectible from the orbital view, rather than zooming down to the planet every time. There's some precedent with the "ANNIHILATE" button, actually.
    Pendaelose likes this.
  13. KNight

KNight Post Master General

He meant it more so that they Function as intended, balance is separate from that.

Mike
  14. Timevans999

oh my god i know what he meant mike
  15. dusanak

dusanak Member

But you are not acting like that. You pointed out that anti-nukes are much more expensive when to compared to nukes. This however has nothing to do with the topic. bastilean came up with an idea for easier nuke control.

Back to the topic, I really like your idea bastilean, this would really help the game to be more fluid. I must say that leadfootslim idea is great too. Having a kind of special weapon UI bar for easier control of everything. I believe that something like this is definitely going to be eventually implemented into the game.