Nuke and commander death visual effect

Discussion in 'Planetary Annihilation General Discussion' started by wienerdog4life, January 25, 2014.

?

What do you think of the current nuke visual effect?

1. Keep it

9.5%
  2. Indifferent

4.8%
  3. Needs slight change

28.6%
  4. Needs an overhaul

57.1%
  1. wienerdog4life

wienerdog4life Active Member

I couldn't find any other threads on this subject. If you know of any, please send them my way.

I don't know about you guys, but I'm not really satisfied with the visual effects for the explosion of nukes and especially the commander explosion. I understand that beta is beta, and I'm not too sure on how final it is, but I feel that they can do with some improvements.

To me the explosion seems really flat, as in the cap of the mushroom is too close to the surface of the planet. It also seems very dim for something with that much power and enormity.

I know the game isn't complete and that there are many more things to come. I also acknowledge that this isn't an issue (if you can call it an "issue") that needs to be prioritized.

I'd like to know what you guys think of the current state of this visual effect. If you think it needs improvement, what do you think could make it better?
    husbandinlaw and ezahiel like this.
  2. brianpurkiss

brianpurkiss Post Master General

Right now we only have three explosions.

Uber will be adding new explosions and will be greatly improving the existing explosions.

Visually, Planetary Annihilation already looks amazing but Uber is promising some great improvements yet to come.
    carlorizzante likes this.
  3. MrTBSC

MrTBSC Post Master General

it is first pass ... so its kinda obvious it WILL change ...
    brianpurkiss likes this.
  4. KNight

KNight Post Master General

They even talked about this in the most recent Live Stream.

Mike
    carlorizzante likes this.
  5. dianalogue

dianalogue Member

Game is still in beta, my guess is explosions will be looking notably more fun come release.
  6. wienerdog4life

Guys, did you know it's beta?
    Did you also not read the last sentence?
    husbandinlaw likes this.
  7. tehtrekd

tehtrekd Post Master General

I agree with him.
    Saying "It's in beta" or "They're promising this" doesn't answer the question posed, it just states the obvious.
    wienerdog4life likes this.
  8. ezahiel

ezahiel New Member

It is beta so what do you expect ....
    I just love to read that dumb sentence.

About your question, yes I do think that we need better explosion as its so so small/flat to what it should be taking in to the account that its extremely powerful explosion. Same I wish to see that kind of wave when Asteroid/moon hit planet like we had in trailer (skip to 1min 2seconds):
    www.youtube.com/watch?v=x-VIq_3N3SU#t=63
  9. wienerdog4life

I swear that 50% of the posts on this forum are from people who don't read the complete post of the thread's OP and just copy paste "beta is beta, you moron."

Like, I addressed that the game was in beta in my OP. I gave clear notice that I'm aware that it's beta. Shrugging it off as beta completely nullifies the point of holding a beta which is to give the community a chance to offer feedback to developers.

This forum could do really do better to consider what people are actually suggesting as well as to understand what has already been suggested and squashed months ago.
    husbandinlaw likes this.
  10. KNight

But at the same time, it's clear that UBer has not put forth a serious effort on the explosion FX, I'm sure they have things in mind but FX just isn't high enough on the priority list yet to get address.

You'd be in a much better position if Uber had tried a few passes on teh FX but they simply haven't yet.

Mike
  11. wienerdog4life

This thread exists as a "what would you like to see" rather than "C'mon, Uber. Why isn't this fixed??????!!!" stance that some people here [you, brian, TBSC] have projected on me
  12. KNight

So then explain what is the point to the thread? I'm confused.

Mike
  13. wienerdog4life

husbandinlaw likes this.
  14. KNight

People want good FX. Thread solved. Until we get a better idea of what Uber sees as "proper" its very hard to describe something so visual with just words, and few in the community can actually use visuals to communicate thier thoughts clearly. I'm sorry I just don't see the point in obscuring the intent of the thread.

Mike
  15. emraldis

emraldis Post Master General

I will be the first to properly respond to this thread:

It's In beta don't expect anything good yet.

Just kidding.
    I think it would be cool if the effect generated more light, and maybe had a lens flare or something? Also the clouds/dust effects seem a bit too insubstantial, I think they should be darkened a bit and made a bit more 3-dimensional. Also, make the fadeout take longer.
  16. wienerdog4life

Dang, Emraldis. You're too late. KNight just declared it impossible to describe explosions. He also declared the thread was solved. Please delete your post. ;)
  17. wienerdog4life

18. jodarklighter

jodarklighter Active Member

I would like an impact crater for nukes and equivalent explosions. Nothing as severe as a Halley smash, but something like the shallow craters we get on moon biomes.
  19. MrTBSC

MrTBSC Post Master General

So what i think bout the nuke blast you ask
    Well it looks quite puffy ...
    Should it be changed?
    I want a functional game first
    let the devs play around with fx and stuff as much as they want later

A better op would have been:

How would you like the nuke explosion to look like ?

In that case i would have anwered:

Big U-gun blue spherical explosion with electronic flashes over the area and burning particles raining down on the place with an flashing energy orb rising from the epicenter

That bazilisk deathblow from the supcom blackops unleashed mod is also pretty awsome
    Could need a bit more visual fidelity though :D
    Last edited: January 26, 2014
  20. ezahiel

ezahiel New Member

Ok but don't you wanna see some more FX before? Is that mean you dont care about FX? If FX is irrelevant , then lets ask Dev to switch it off entirely to improve smoothness of the game :p :D :D