Capturing ability/unit

Discussion in 'Planetary Annihilation General Discussion' started by demon99a, January 25, 2014.

1. demon99a

demon99a Member

Found nothing on the forum about this subject :)
    p.s: is the FAQ hidden or something?

I'll just put it this way:
    Will there ever be a ability/unit to capture buildings?

And if there is no plan to add one will you ever consider making the reclaim ability not only take away destroyed buildings but also capture ones that are not destroyed?

I've made this post more simple so more people bother reading it ;)
  2. jodarklighter

jodarklighter Active Member

Not much point when everyone has access to the same unit roster.
  3. Gerfand

Gerfand Active Member

must be plans to this, in TA and SupCom you could... why not in PA too
  4. abubaba

abubaba Well-Known Member

Capturing an enemy teleporter would make a huge difference, if it means you get access to the other end as well.
  5. wienerdog4life

wienerdog4life Active Member

pretty sure the plan is to have it so that enemies can go through your teleporter in addition to you
  6. KNight

KNight Post Master General

Source?

As far as Capturing in general, I don't see the point, it's usage is extremely limited in PA due to everyone having the same Units and capturing is just clunky to begin with, Fabbers are pretty vulnerable on thier own, and using units to defend them while they work is extra clunky because they'll naturally want to shoot at what's being captured.

I just don't see any real need for it.

Mike
  7. monkeyulize

monkeyulize Active Member

The reason capturing was useful in supcom was because you could steal tech. That was really the only advantage to just reclaiming something.

I think it would be nice to just have the ability, but it should be a polish feature not something we need in the short/medium term
  8. igncom1

igncom1 Post Master General

It is always nice to capture enemy extractors instead of killing them and building your own carbon copy.
  9. melhem19

melhem19 Active Member

capturing should as a minor feature
    and would be useful when you want to capture undefended enemy metal extractors.
    the point is that i would rather capture the Mexs instead of destroying them and building my own
  10. arseface

arseface Post Master General

Coming from Age of Empires 2 as one of my favorite RTS's, I think capturing adds a ton of other dimensions when done properly.

Monks were not the building units, so there was a dedicated conversion/healing support unit. They could be used to focus down units that broke the line and used them to fill in cracks in defenses.

And let's be honest, capturing an enemy commander in team games would be awesome.
  11. tehtrekd

tehtrekd Post Master General

The FAQ is in fact not hidden, it's pinned as the second thread on the forum.
    As far as your idea goes, I like it, would be interesting. Especially early game.
    Killing off an engineer is a small win, but capturing an enemy engineer? That sounds awesome.
  12. ezahiel

ezahiel New Member

Well I don't see any bad side of having Capture mode in such massive game, if someone prefer to capture over destroying make it happens as we have same roster but still its so funny to capture mex/power etc or even fabers :p
  13. brianpurkiss

brianpurkiss Post Master General

I like and dislike the idea.

Probably should be added.

Though capturing must be time consuming and can't be done through combat fabricators and their crazy 75 range.
  14. arseface

arseface Post Master General

What has shorter range than the combat fabbers as a combat unit?

I think it should take an amount of time equal to what it would take to reclaim the enemy to death. Scales easily with expense, marks it as a separate function for combat fabbers over normal fabbers, and makes sense.
  15. demon99a

demon99a Member

If it takes too long just to capture one building then whats the point?
    maybe the capture timer (or what you want to call it) should be equal to the builds health, that way it would make scene that better buildings like hellys would take more time to capture then power planets and tier 1 structures.

how many fab's would you need to even get close to doing so :)
  16. brianpurkiss

brianpurkiss Post Master General

Simple. Not only are you gaining a certain unit yourself, but you're depriving your enemy of one. So it has the benefit of gaining one and destroying one at the same time.

Very different than just building one yourself.
  17. bobucles

bobucles Post Master General

This is probably the single best use for capture. Since extractors don't have any guns, even the most overwhelmingly weak capture beam can do the trick.
  18. demon99a

demon99a Member

life in a nutshell