UBER please READ way to fix advanced radar sattelites and scouting

Discussion in 'Planetary Annihilation General Discussion' started by ikickasss, January 22, 2014.

1. ikickasss

ikickasss Active Member

I agree you should definitely build more then one radar to see the map coverage . I just want the advanced range to be buffed a big maybe to the range of the ground advanced radar. Would make me HAPPY.
  2. ledarsi

ledarsi Post Master General

I am firmly in the camp of needing lots of units with relatively small vision in order to see the entire map. But I also think that the OP's idea of implementing a more flexible on-demand intel option can also work.

However I don't think the correct way to implement such a mechanic is to have a single unit or structure that allows you to scanner sweep many times. Instead, suppose the player builds disposable units that fly over to the target area, and give the player a significant amount of temporary vision. This disposable probe might be fired using a missile, with excellent range, that deploys into the air when it reaches the target area, and lasts a short time before falling to the ground.

The disposable probe is an expressly single-use unit that costs resources to produce, which would replace the functionality of the disposable air scout. Instead of suiciding a plane to obtain vision for just a moment, the player would use a fundamentally disposable unit for that task.

Replacing the suicide scout plane with a separate mechanic would also allow planes to be more expensive and valuable, which makes players take more care with unit retention of air units.
    carlorizzante likes this.
  3. carlorizzante

carlorizzante Post Master General

Perhaps the bet way to use a Radar Satellite is to build it on top of your base, and THEN ordering it to move into the desired spot of the map. That way the Satellite tracks everything's stationary in the between while taking position.
  4. Grazgul

Grazgul Member

SC2 is very small armies with abilities.

What makes PA micro intensive is the scale of the battles. If we brought in these special abilities, PA would be like playing 4-5 games of star craft simultaneously.

I'd hate to shoot you down, but here's my issue with the idea:

• It's magic, in generals & SC2 (games where you had a scan ability) you couldn't see the satellites, which made it justifiable. Here you can.
    • There is no way to deny information. Want to find the commander, press scan and viola! Hunting the comm is part of the game (always will be).
    • It makes radar, FOB and map control less important, aswell as obsoleting most scout units

It would be much better just to make a spy satellite unit that has vision instead of radar. It would give depth to the orbital layer.
  5. thetrophysystem

thetrophysystem Post Master General

I have posted in many threads of same topic, but I would be in favor of basic sattelite having basic radar range with dots, and advanced sattelite having scout range with direct map vision coverage.

It was good the advanced satellite gave you ground visual, just not the whole enchilada. If it only sees what is directly below that, it is still useful.
    igncom1, DalekDan and carlorizzante like this.
  6. Bindon

Bindon New Member

Although I feel like the radars are mostly okay, I find they move slow. Too Slow. It takes an advanced radar 10 minutes to make it across the planet when you could save the time and just send a firefly and get coverage in under 30 seconds, it would be nice if the speed was adjusted...
  7. bobucles

bobucles Post Master General

What if the satellite used an ammo system? For a few seconds it has a huge scanning range, and then it has to cool down a minute to recharge.
  8. brianpurkiss

brianpurkiss Post Master General

I think the point is you build them mostly where they're supposed to be rather than move them into position like we used to.
  9. jodarklighter

jodarklighter Active Member

You know what radar is really broken right now? Deep Space Radar. For a low cost, I get perfect vision of everything in orbit around my planet, every other planet and moon, and everything moving between orbits. Why scout your base on that moon when I can just drop nukes on the ground under your swarm of anchors and orbital fabbers?
  10. brianpurkiss

Because most players will have anti-nukes there.

Although, I do think there should be a range limitation to the Orbital Radar.

The game is in beta. We'll probably see some changes to it.
  11. ikickasss

ikickasss Active Member

I agree . I hated sc2 and the units secondary abilities. But my suggestion would be almost like launching a nuke. Not microing in combat.
  12. igncom1

igncom1 Post Master General

That could be nice, would it be automatic?
  13. brianpurkiss

In general I dislike activateable abilities for this style game.
  14. carlorizzante

carlorizzante Post Master General

Of course. One can still hack stuffs, though ;)
  15. Nullimus

Nullimus Well-Known Member

I am fine with this approach. However to make it feasible the satellite radar needs to be able to move faster. With it's limited radar and vision radius all it can tell you is what your own base looks like. I have tried spamming them on planetary patrol and they are just too slow to be of any use at all.
  16. igncom1

igncom1 Post Master General

They are fast enough for going to and monitoring an area, no need to expect them to scout for you.
  17. bobucles

bobucles Post Master General

A handful of key units with the right abilities isn't going to hurt anything. The Commander's arsenal and planet killers are definitely special abilities.

Scrying vision on a whole planet(or even half of one) is an extremely powerful ability, even for a few seconds. It is not unreasonable to make such an ability expensive or difficult to attain. For example, the satellite might use extreme energy to have its full power active. But that requires lots of energy micro and might end up annoying.

Another option is to make the scrying weapon a "nuke". Fire a huge missile which deploys some kind of camera cloud. It covers a huge area, can't be defended after it pops, but it has to be redeployed every minute or so. In this case you are paying metal for super scouting, which can be expensive in the long run but totally worth it.
  18. ezahiel

ezahiel New Member

Ok guys I've read all posts roughly. Sorry but just hate reading all *to lazy for that*.
    But one thing that you did not mentioned. Don't you all think that "Advance" (radar or what so ever) should be more like advance then just normal or even worse?
    Well previous Advance Radar Sat was way OP - or let's say it Lame. It should be as slow as it is but with greater Radar range then current Adv Radar Sat as well as Adv Radar(stationary).
    On top of the radar range it should give some Vision directly underneath as it's Advance not normal + it's on the orbit so in theory it should reveal (show) some Units/Buildings underneath within some range etc.
    That's just my opinion you can kill me if you don't like it or disagree.

Just wanted to add that with current Adv Rad Sat stats/vision I'm not using it at all, as its pointless and It seems work now more like T1 then Advance hehe :D :p
  19. Taxman66

Taxman66 Well-Known Member

Freedom of speech doesn't mean you can't get criticised. Criticism of someone else's beliefs is the ESSENCE of "freedom of speech". Enough with the ignorant comments. Btw, I don't think this would be a good idea in any perspective - from game lore, reality to gameplay. You need to have scout planes/air superiority to scout and thats the main advantage of air - seeking and destroying units that give a line of sight on what you're building and where your units are heading.
    Last edited: January 26, 2014
  20. tatsujb

tatsujb Post Master General

visual plain removes the scouting part. change the way intel works to what FA was and you won't find yourself needing this un-counterable scouting. I stand with @scathis on this one, vision is a no no.