Planetary Invasions

Discussion in 'Planetary Annihilation General Discussion' started by brianpurkiss, December 3, 2013.

1. KNight

KNight Post Master General

We all know the Econ Numbers are off, we've known them to be off more or less since they've been introduced back in Alpha.

Mike
  2. Pendaelose

Pendaelose Well-Known Member

KNight, are you suggesting that because we all know it's broken we should stop talking about potential solutions?
  3. KNight

KNight Post Master General

Did I say that? All I did was provide some background information. Because Scathis hadn't gotten around to doing any Econ Balancing for our latest build it's still up in the air what will happen to it, but in all likelihood it will change.

Mike
  4. Pendaelose

Pendaelose Well-Known Member

Perhaps it was a misunderstanding. It came off as very "everyone already knows that". A very dismissive comment without any other context. Since this wasn't your intent, I apologize, but I also hope that you can see how your comment may have sounded exactly like that.

I can't speak for everyone, but I know I'm not the only person who's rather put off by the landslide of "well it's changing anyways, so it doesn't matter" replies across nearly every topic in the forum. We all know the devs read these forums, and we all know they take our opinions seriously, even if they don't agree with us. Speculation and debate among members is a great way for all of us to help find a healthy balance without getting in the way. Even if these are not the paths the dev's take it's the route many of the modders here may find the debate refreshing and inspiring.
  5. carlorizzante

carlorizzante Post Master General

I don't know if I would use that feature myself. It would be already nice if in order to nuke a spot on the map we could just press a key (let's say K) and once we do that, the closest available Nuke launcher responds. That would also allow for a more creative/flexible use of nukes.

In fact I'm using nukes also on power gens or incoming armies (when they're huge), and I do that as soon as I have the opportunity. Having to get back to your Nuke launchers, select one, and then back to the spot to nuke is a bit of a hassle.
  6. carlorizzante

Words!
    (well, hopefully so)
  7. kinghoboiii

kinghoboiii New Member

i like the mega bot idea would be good i.e like a titan out of war hammer.... just a mobile walking base.... with long range defence's like they have on naval ships and only short range offence weapons... how ever it would be pretty poor armour on the move.... but once you bunker it down to become a non mobile fort... you get improved armour but you cant move around.... even mix this up with the egg idea and you could orbital fab a fortress and drop that on to an area from your orbit. After shuttle units to the fortress from a shuttle dock building (so all you have to do is click a group of units then move them to the shuttle dock to que them)...

or like they did in the Normandy raids... they sent lots of gliders with troops in to take supply lines and the bridges.. how ever it could be that you can build cheeep... low armoured planet to planet transporters to move a mass army of bots units only!! the guilders that survive the initial assault will crash and become a shield or bunker for the bots .....

Thing I would like to see:-
    inter planet transport
    fortress's (that could be mobile and deployed)
    inter planet rail guns
    building cannon ( that can fire turrets, metal gens and power gens.. even walls) planet to planet
  8. axidion

axidion Member

Having just spent two hours in a stalemate and just suiciding out of frustration, I've decided to chime in.

The interplanetary nukes only work with bodies orbiting each other. In the game I was just in, neither of us could clear enough room or get enough time to throw down a teleporter. I built 20 nukes, but much to my dismay they wouldn't launch because our planets were separate. So here are some suggestions.

1) Remove the orbiting limitation on interplanetary nukes.

2) Constructing mini KEWs. If we can construct 3 Haley's on an asteroid and move it, and we can construct stuff in orbit, we should be able to construct an orbital KEW with a single Haley that would not destroy the planet, but at least clear enough room to deploy units or build a teleporter.

3) One-time orbital-to-ground deployable defenses. Maybe the orbital fabber could construct defenses from orbit that could land and deploy into a turret or artillery (or bomb for that matter), just to clear enough room to land some units or start building a teleporter.

4) Orbital teleporter. Make it so you can construct an orbital teleporter, and if linked to one on the ground, any units that walk through it would be dropped from the ring floating in orbit and they would all pour out together onto the ground (I guess they would need parachutes or jetpacks or something to slow down before landing). Of course this wouldn't work with umbrellas protecting the area I guess.

5) Orbital-to-air drop pods. You could load up big drop pods with bombers, click an area on the enemy planet, and the pod will launch and assuming it survives any umbrellas on the way down, will burst in the air and deploy air units. I think it would be interesting to see an air invasion instead of just expecting orbital lasers and teleporters. Think of Independence Day; the invasion was attempted by air, not land.

6) EMP orbital units (or missiles). Who says you need to blow up the structures to land? Maybe there could be a special EMP satellite that eats up an ungodly amount of energy that could disable structures in an area beneath it, making it possible for transports to land. I guess it would probably be best to only affect structures. Or if it did also affect units (excluding the commander) the drop ships would either be a one-way drop (like a drop pod), or have an immunity to it. Then once the satellite is no longer casting EMP energy, the tanks and units would turn back on and could start to clear the area.

I was also in a position last game where any of my surviving orbital fabbers were being "assissted" by enemy bombers and air fighters. So anything that I'd construct beneath me would be destroyed right away. So maybe there should also be an orbital-to-air unit that could either destroy enemy air from orbit, forced them to land, make them go away (scrambled flight paths), or continuously drop flares or something to render them more useless until the enemy kills whatever is in orbit.

Of the things that have been mentioned, I'm most fond of the portal receiving unit. Even if that were in the game right now, it wouldn't be too difficult to load astraeuses up with those and try to breach the ground (just have a bunch of units queued up at the teleporter and keep the teleporter selected so if/when the unit that's linked to it is destroyed, you can quickly switch to any of the others that might have survived.) Maybe the catch for that one is that the area is smaller so a thinner line of units would come through.

Just some thoughts. Even with teleporters going, planet cracking is still incredibly difficult late game.
    Last edited: January 20, 2014
    Pendaelose and carlorizzante like this.
  9. ezahiel

ezahiel New Member

Just a small idea about new way of interplanetary/moon invasion that I've already posted(other thread) in here:

https://forums.uberent.com/threads/general-balance-logic-issues-thread.55779/
    or just read below:
    We do need some medium of big units transportation like mega orbital transporter to transport 20-40 or even more units at once. Then you would be able to land on the other planet with a high number of own looses maybe even build a beachhead. Sending tons of Avengers to take off enemy one and adds some targets for umbrellas while Transportation Units drop off your army, to begin cleansing process. Then you would be able to build Gates and hold it with AA and ANukes , and send tons of units through Gate system.
  10. axidion

axidion Member

The wording throws me off a little. Are you saying the transport should include an anti-nuke? If you are, then I totally agree. There's no advantage to clearing out an area for staging if the enemy already has nukes armed.
  11. ezahiel

ezahiel New Member

Well in TA we had mobile anti nukes in T2 so it would be an option when you would be landing with all troops on hostile planet, to survive Nuke strikes and then build beachhead, etc. So a formation of AA tanks/bots + Anti Nukes tanks and Assault ones.
  12. carlorizzante

Or some kind of dropable force shield, able to shield the site of landing from little while. Just the time to build some first defenses and perhaps a little outpost.
  13. brianpurkiss

brianpurkiss Post Master General

Mobile anti-nukes are pretty helpful for multiple reasons, including invasions.

I really hope they get added in.

What if it was a single use unit? Like, launches the missile and during the missile launch the launcher was destroyed.
    Quitch likes this.
  14. j4cko

j4cko Member

Guys its rly tl so dr.. but did anyone mention cloak/stealth? It is making into the game and this should help in sneaking into any planet.
  15. brianpurkiss

It has been mentioned.

But cloaked armies has been almost completely rejected by the community.

Cloaked Commanders and Mines is supported though.
  16. DalekDan

DalekDan Active Member

For no good reason i might add, (though brianpurkiss (and others) would disagree); J4cko, Find the stealth thread if your interested there's a lot of back and forth, but a few good points on either side of the fence between the not so inspired reasons. Might do to point out there that cloak and stealth are a viable solution to the nuked/bombed the moment your set foot on a planet issue that's not going away anytime soon. Finger's crossed we'll be able to add mutli-unit transports and unit-cannons into the mix before too long but until something's done to prevent total radar coverage (and vision with planet patrol. with scouts, fighters, bombers) of small planets and subsequent lock-down (ie stealth, cloak, radar jamming etc...), these (the cannon's/transports) probably wont help much either, maybe we need interplanetary artillery instead, at least those can't be shot down.
  17. brianpurkiss

The unit cannon is being worked on, but is low priority. So far, Uber isn't convinced that we need multi unit orbital transports. Multi-unit air transports will be added after release. There's also talk of having a missile satellite that can shoot down enemy aircraft.

I really hope Uber ads drop pods though.
    j4cko likes this.
  18. DalekDan

DalekDan Active Member

Thats all good but none of that can break a locked-down planet, which is mostly down to vision. Short of scaling weapon and vision ranges to planets under a specific size (probably my most insane thought), or introducing some kind of electronic warfare to allow a strike force or small base to get a foot-hold I don't see this problem going away no matter what they add. Umbrella's, Anchors and Orbital Fighters will shoot down any orbital unit that pop into the stratosphere instantly and if somehow an astraeus lands a unit that unit will be bombed to oblivion before it can blink. Vision and radar are the answer they need counters or mitigation.