General Balance/Logic Issues Thread

Discussion in 'Balance Discussions' started by ragarnoy, January 18, 2014.

1. ragarnoy

ragarnoy Member

(Renamed the Thread so it makes a bit more sense)
    Hey, so all of you have tried the new update (i presume), some of you liked it, some didnt, i made this thread so we can suggest what should be changed to make the new balance more balanced.

On my part:

I find that the radar satellite is now pretty much useless, most people would just build the orbital fabber and make the advanced since it's so cheap now. I suggest we buff the advanced radar, and its cost, either the radar range or the FoW-revealing range. Also the Radar satellite's speed should be buffed a bit to. The other reason im saying this is because now it became horribly hard to find the enemy comm on the planet, and it consumes a lot of time to explore a new/large planet, it's even worse when your enemy makes outposts to fool you, and then it's pretty much hide and seek. I think that there should be an expensive way to somehow see everything on the planet for a few seconds at least.

I wish i could comment on the new T1 and T2 tanks but they didnt seem to work properly on my end.

Invasions are still impossible since your teleporter gets nuked on sight, so there really needs some kind of mega-unit dropped from space that can serve as a factory and have good defenses. And since you cant reveal the whole planet anymore, it makes that you (unless you're lucky) wont be able to directly drop on the enemy comm and assassinate him.

The flak turrets seem a bit overpowered but i heard they were going to get nerfed a bit.

I think the teleporter should be on T2 and more expensive, it makes the Astraeus a bit useless since you just have to send one orbital fabber to build a teleporter and send tons of fabber through, it also "hides" your moves from the DSR.

The Leveler was wayyyy too much nerfed, it is way too weak now.

The AI is ridiculous now, it basicly ruins the late game by spamming a enormous amount of units and buildings.

I'll add stuff as the thread expands
    Last edited: January 19, 2014
    stormingkiwi likes this.
  2. bobucles

bobucles Post Master General

So... what's going to stop the enemy from nuking that as well?

The only way to stop an enemy from wanting to nuke your landing party is to place your landing party somewhere he doesn't want to nuke. Such examples include:
    - Directly inside his base.
    - Directly next to his commander.

In both situations, nuking your attack is probably going to do more harm than good.
  3. ragarnoy

ragarnoy Member

How do you build a teleporter in his base/next to his commander ?
  4. mrqasq

mrqasq Member

this is ridiculous!
    cmdandy likes this.
  5. bobucles

bobucles Post Master General

You don't. Teleporters aren't made to spearhead an invasion. They can't be by virtue of default. I thought this was obvious.
    mered4 likes this.
  6. mered4

mered4 Post Master General

You should never let the game get to the point where you have to drop a couple nukes first, then drop a tele

Its just too much. Go for an earlier kill. Your games will be quicker, and your victory surer.
    stormingkiwi likes this.
  7. mparmeter

mparmeter New Member

Just got done playing for the second time tonight. Both times, I was zerged inside of five minutes. The AI is way too aggressive. Not fun.
  8. ragarnoy

ragarnoy Member

Sometimes it just doesnt happen, especially in games with a lot of people. It can be pretty hard to attack a planet that has hundreds of T2 bombers patrolling everywhere constantly.
  9. mered4

#hostyourowngames #onlymoonsftw

I dont play on multi planet systems much for this reason. I keep it to moons - and if i do go multi orbit, i make sure i can smash 'em
  10. mered4

The AI, believe it or not, is actually the most aggressive player in PA.

It is, however, the worst at it. First off, you can literally drop a laser tower in the path of the enemy tanks, put down a wall or two to be safe, and just leave it. PRESTO! Base defended!

However, it is good practice for early game so you can make more efficient starting builds and learn how to counter early harass (SPOILER ALERT: It involves attacking.)
    stormingkiwi likes this.
  11. stormingkiwi

stormingkiwi Post Master General

Drop an asteroid on them

However, if the T2 bomber planet is the only asteroid in the system

Delete your commander. It's only a matter of time.
  12. klavohunter

klavohunter Member

Yup, ran into another game where invasion was impossible. Quit out when it was obviously a stalemate.
  13. ragarnoy

ragarnoy Member

14. capacitor

capacitor New Member

Hes right on most accounts. A very common map type is 2 planets of which neither can be smash able. Often these end in never ending lag turtle fests.

Assuming both players are well established on their planet(not a very rare scenario). To invade the enemy planet you must first you must continuously have more avengers than them or else your orb builders get killed quickly. Then you somehow have to get through a wall of air gunships that will assault any teleport while your trying to build(no AA in space). Then you gotta pump through 100s of AA, t2 bots, and builders and somehow get something done before ya get nuked. When you do get nuked... repeat cycle.

As for the joke that your going to be able to build a teleport next to an enemy commander, pretty darn sure their going to have some gunships and ground defense to ensure that doesn't happen. Odds are they are going to have catapults and holkins in their base meaning you gotta build a teleporter out of range of those and the player must not gunship it or nuke it for about 2-5 mins so you can build a anti nuke and AA.... It just doesn't work like this unless your playing against newbs.... which, the mass player base isn't newbie for long.
    stormingkiwi likes this.
  15. ragarnoy

ragarnoy Member

last bump because well, feedback is good.
  16. igncom1

igncom1 Post Master General

I actually love the new leveller, it's a good spud tank and tanks well for the T1 tanks.

They actually feel very well balanced now in comparison to the total overpowered nature they had before.
  17. ezahiel

ezahiel New Member

Well new way to conquer already taken planet/moon (scale 2 or less) is impossible. If enemy will make 10-15 or even more catapults , add tons of umbrella and anti nukes, you wont be able to land there or make any action against him. All you can do is just watch.
    So we do need some medium of big units transportation like mega orbital transporter to transport 20-40 or even more units at once. Then you would be able to land there with high number of own looses maybe even build a beachhead. Sending tons of Avengers to take off enemy one and adds some targets for umbrellas while Transportation Units drop off your army, to begin cleansing process. Then you would be able to build Gates and hold it with AA and ANukes , and send tons of units through Gate system.
    That's what I could see new way to conquer Moons/Planets of small size.
  18. Dementiurge

Dementiurge Post Master General

I think the perspective on this will be made easier if we mandate that every system consist of several planets in separate orbits, with no moons or asteroids.

Everyone will quickly become dreadfully sick of the current interplanetary travel and the inability to use larger planets for smashing.
  19. cptconundrum

cptconundrum Post Master General

With procedural maps, it's really easy to forget that there still is such a thing as bad map design. TA and supCom were capable of games that could end in stalemates, but the few maps where that could happen were generally avoided by the community. What we really need is another pass at the random system generator once all of the units are in, multi-planet starts exist, and balance is more stable.
  20. Raevn

Raevn Moderator Alumni

This is the very point of Teleporters. If Uber want to avoid this being nuked immediately, they could just create an anti-nuke satellite that you can bring with you.