Submarines // Underwater Layer

Discussion in 'Planetary Annihilation General Discussion' started by ezahiel, January 11, 2014.

1. ezahiel

ezahiel New Member

Hi guys,
    I have been looking for any thread that might be giving some information about underwater layer and submerging submarines but I couldn't find anything. I know we are at Beta, but would be nice to test that layer.
    So far we have only land and air layer, kinda orbital but...
    Well I was just wondering if we at least know when underwater layer might be in game/test itself ?
    Only way we could see underwater layer is when commander is going in to really depth water or sometimes as a glitch(I think) when AI build mex - you can see it underwater(submerged).

I'm asking since I loved underwater part of TA and can't wait for Uber Team to implemented it in PA as that is additional strategical layer that so many people love :)

Feel free to move thread to correct place since I had no bloody idea where it should be posted.
    As well feel free to talk about that layer ie:
    Should mex be submerged or not?
    Should power be submerged or not?
    Should we have more subs/ships submerged or not?
    Should we have torpedo lunchers submerged or not?
    Should we have additional underwater facts or not?
    Or maybe only Advanced Eco buildings should be submerged or not?

Feel free to talk about, as I could not find any such topics.
  2. brianpurkiss

brianpurkiss Post Master General

Right now subs are not submersible. I'm guessing that will be remedied in the next build based on the play test video.

I don't think buildings should be submerged.
  3. websterx01

websterx01 Post Master General

No topics yes, however it has been stated a few times that submarines will be finished just before/during/after the full release since they were stretch goals.
  4. ezahiel

ezahiel New Member

So where would be point of underwater layer?
    To have only submarines?
    Well that's good in our times but not when you have all this Hi-Tech robots etc.
    On top of this Torpedo Launchers should be submerged(underwater) for additional tactics when attacking - No submarines / torpedo planes would mean waste of fleet (read suicide runs).
  5. omegapirate

omegapirate New Member

I think an underwater specialty factory would be cool. Like it specializes in subs or in naval research.... It would kinda give an evil lair vibe..*see GI Joe movie*

That would be a lot of work though. I'm just overly curious and excited.

Just sayin, pirate style
  6. ainslie

ainslie Member

I think that we should have submerged power and mex, but maybe that's just me. Or perhaps maybe only buildings built by construction subs are submerged? I know that I don't like the buildings floating on water thing that's going on now, but I'm sure that's not the final plan. I remember underwater buildings being nice as you could hide them from your opponents' scouts easily, though if a T2 sonar scout or something came about, then that would be interesting.

Alternatively, I don't think that we necessarily need more submerged units nor submerged factories. Unless we have some sort of extra deep water areas, I think that a submerged factory doesn't really make too much sense to me, though I have to agree with omegapirate that it does sound cool. :D

I think it does make sense to have submerged torpedo launchers however.
    blacksword13 likes this.
  7. ledarsi

ledarsi Post Master General

Submerged mexes and submerged power generators sounds cool right up until you have to do a bughunt for them when they are concealed all over the map.
  8. stormingkiwi

stormingkiwi Post Master General

Jellyfish have to be submerged, or they are useless.

Kind of meh on torpedoes being submersible. They have a huge range so it would make sense for them not to be. Otherwise they would be practically unassailable, presumably because underwater units will be invisible to air. Course they may not be. But seeing as you should always have aircraft with naval, it would make sense
  9. Dementiurge

Dementiurge Post Master General

Someone's going to create a mod with them eventually.
    Best not hide from it now. (Not to mention the AI seems to have a habit of making submerged metal extractors.)
  10. ezahiel

ezahiel New Member

Well don't forget that Uber have already mentioned about torpedo planes , so make it them submerged would be good option, since only subs, torpedo plane and ships with depth charge could attack them.
  11. pivo187

pivo187 Active Member

ainslie made a good point about making the sub fabber be able to build underwater energy/mex/storage. Maybe building underwater would cost more since its almost like having a stealth base. Make any underwater stuff only detectable via sonar. Like what was mentioned above there will be torpedo planes, amphibious tanks, subs, & also give destroyers depth charge capabilities which all can attack underwater bases. I think its a great idea because it add more strategy & another depth of gameplay. Also, on water planets it will allow for more varied game play bc I'm thinking naval/air only might get boring fast..
    ainslie likes this.
  12. stormingkiwi

stormingkiwi Post Master General

Talking about torpedo launchers. It's a ranged tower. Ships with depth charges can't get close enough. And talking about jellyfish, they wouldn't want to.
  13. Teod

Teod Well-Known Member

I think torpedo launchers should not only be not submerged, but buildable on ground near water. That would make them more interesting.

Fabber-subs should be the only ones being able to reclaim wrecks from the seafloor.

As for submerged buildings, seafloor mexes sounds cool (again, exclusively for fab-subs, and maybe commander), everything else not so much. Of course, visually it would be nice to have stuff partially submerged and not just standing on water like it does now, but having two barely different versions of one building is kinda pointless.
    stormingkiwi likes this.
  14. Bastilean

Bastilean Active Member

TA had submersible advanced air factories and they were a big value added. They didn't construct under water, but submerged when fabbing was stopped. They were easily found and destroyed by building advanced air intel which had large mobile sonar to find them.

SupCom2 suffered from submersible man hunts for commanders because intel options were poor. In the end it's the commander you are hunting for and he is submersible.

Am I correct in assuming that Advanced Radar has sight into the submerged water layer? Since we don't have anything to submerge yet it's ambiguous.
  15. LeadfootSlim

LeadfootSlim Well-Known Member

Reclaiming undersea wrecks does sound interesting, especially because sinking ships helps the already clunky navl pathing. Sinking should take a moment so tht there is still some appropriate penalty for charging into torpedo fire.

Depth charges are good, but what unit or units should have them? Narwhals as anti-air means they'd become too versatile... but adding too many more ships may choke things up. A dedicated sonar/sub hunter unit might work in the same way AA fits in ground armies. Oddly, while we're at it, subs are to naval as fighters are to air.

More importantly, do subs need a limiter that allows them to be depth-charged upon without just blasting the offending boats?
    Last edited: January 12, 2014
  16. pivo187

pivo187 Active Member

Destroyers had depth charges in ta. I believe they were the only ship that could fight subs.
  17. iron420

iron420 Well-Known Member

Should mex be submerged or not? YES
    Should power be submerged or not? YES
    Should we have more subs/ships submerged or not? More of all units, including subs and amphibious, so YES
    Should we have torpedo launchers submerged or not? YES...
    Should we have additional underwater facts or not? YES Underwater naval yard at least, but sea plane factory too etc
    Or maybe only Advanced Eco buildings should be submerged or not? Like T2 mex and power plant YES
    IMO very few buildings built in the water should sit ON the water. It would be harder to manage IRL, and it makes them more vulnerable. Strategically it makes water a valid choice and would give it a reason why those buildings cost more to build and maintain (which they already seem to do).
    blacksword13 and cmdandy like this.
  18. ezahiel

ezahiel New Member

Not only.
    Cruisers from T2 shipyard had them too
  19. ezahiel

ezahiel New Member

Just as a reminder, it seems that we might loose submarines from PA and maybe even underwater layer, since after new patch Uber took all submarines ,including sub fabricator from the game :(
    Or maybe they just took it , to start working on them. So far I didn't seen any msg what happened with our subs we had so far :/
  20. bobucles

bobucles Post Master General

Have more than a single submersible unit, perhaps?
    igncom1 likes this.