Teleporters and turtlers

Discussion in 'Backers Lounge (Read-only)' started by halander1, January 17, 2014.

1. larsethearse

larsethearse Member

A mobile anti nuke unit perhaps?
  2. iron420

iron420 Well-Known Member

What if I'm in the exact same position. Are we both dead? Cause that happened to me last night and that wasn't the case...

Anyway Teleporters need to be way more expensive and not the only way to fight another planet. I think they should be huge resource sinks.
  3. captainshootalot

captainshootalot Member

They are certainly not going to be the only way to fight another planet, and even though I agree with the fact that teleporters are too cheap as they stand now, they shouldn't be huge resource sinks, since a teleporter is less useful for spearheading an assault, whereas stuff like unit cannons or dropships would be better for attacking.

Currently I see teleporters more as a logistic tool: very efficiently connecting two parts of a economy and making it one planets-spanning powerhouse.
  4. thetdawg3191

thetdawg3191 Active Member

the tactic i've seen is people swarming a conqureed planet with bombers.

my solution?

bring 5-6 orbital fabbers, put up a sattelite to find where the swarm is thin, rip out a teleporter,then QUICKLY send in T2 fabbers and slap down flak cannons to secure the air. then roll in the Leveller columns and laugh maniacly.

of course, this doesnt adress the possibility of nuking the teleporter, but the other guy is usually not paying attention, since he has errected a "passive" defense.

and you're not warned when bombers bite the dust......
  5. captainshootalot

captainshootalot Member

Though this might be a somewhat effective tactic, the real solution will come when we get more assaulting possibilities like unit cannons and dropships.
  6. zaphodx

zaphodx Post Master General

At the moment this only really works if
    • They don't spot you coming or landing
    • They don't have orbital fighters patrolling
    • They have few umbrellas
    • They don't have many bombers to kill the teleporter/engineers before you get a chance
    • They don't nuke you
    iron420 likes this.
  7. thetdawg3191

well put. but i usually only employ that stunt if there's even a slight chance it will work.
  8. Bastilean

Bastilean Active Member

Welcome to the discussion.
  9. bluestrike01

bluestrike01 Active Member

I like orbital fighters to attack air as it was one om my idea's as well to counter the T2 bomber protecting planets
    Other idea's are orbital AA stations or orbital aircraft carriers to transport air units.
    To counter nuking a teleport I see only one solution and thats orbital antinukes you place above the teleport construction site.

Units in orbital layer around a planet also move to slow (fighters, lasers, radar they move so fricking slow ...)
    while the umbrella is so cheap.

And now I'm on it, rename the advanced orbital radar to orbital radar and implement a advanced one wich can see at least one side of the planet and uses insame amount on energy to deal with these lategame situations where you need more intel.
    iron420 and carlorizzante like this.
  10. carlorizzante

carlorizzante Post Master General

You can' build anything on the surface of a planet that's dominated by your opponent.

You need to prepare the invasion somewhere nearby, and launch it full throttle. All your invasion troops need to land at the same times, better if you could also chose where, and disperse them if that better serves your invasion plan.

Right now this possibility isn't in game yet.

I love the idea of the Unit Cannon. But I'm afraid it may not solve the problem above just by itself. By design it is going to launch few units per time, and it may be easy for the counter part to destroy those units as soon as they are in range.

The Super Bot has been archived for what I understood. But that kind of Unit may be used as an invasion tool as well. You send a couple of those and they can keep the defendant busy for the time you need to build an outpost.

Dropship would be awesome as well. Or Dropping Outposts, that you build in orbit and let fall from the sky.
    corteks likes this.
  11. carlorizzante

Perhaps even better a sort of Telescope, that can give you vision from planet to planet. So you can plan your invasion.
  12. KNight

KNight Post Master General

In range of what?

Mike
  13. carlorizzante

Of what so ever can shot at them. Isn't easy to imagine?

What happens if you send a bot per time to clash with the enemy? What happens if you parachute soldiers on a piece of land controlled by the enemy?

They do not even touch the ground.

But even if they do, they need to be in good number in order to survive for more than a second.
  14. KNight

KNight Post Master General

I think you got some unrealistic ideas about where you should be landing your forces.

If anything I can imagine that landing a "few" units at a time(especially if they're scattered somewhat) if beneficial for the entire army so long as you continue to land forces, sure some might be lost to long range weaponry like the current Holkins/Catapults but they can't defeat an army peicemeal unless you set your self up to not move enough units. Remember, if you need more Unit Cannon "Bandwidth" just build more Unit Cannons!

Mike
  15. carlorizzante

Sure, it makes sense.

My idea of an invasion tool, though, is something that has a bit more impact than dropping units. But first we have to play with the Unit Cannon, perhaps it works just fine.

Surely it will be fun to use.
  16. websterx01

websterx01 Post Master General

Nuke the nukes on the other planet, nuke air factories, nuke everything! That usually can provide a fair gap to squeeze a few units through to start doing damage. I feel like much of this thread has looked over nukes as a pre-invasion tool.
  17. thetdawg3191

you forget, however, that nukes cannot go between independent orbits yet. so right now their use as an invasion tool is limited.
  18. siefer101

siefer101 Active Member

Gates should have option to be orbital... and units cannons should be able to shoot/dispense units through ground gate provided exit gate is orbital... as one form of orbital unit deployment...
  19. mered4

mered4 Post Master General

Too many ifs.....halleys are devoid of if statements. Its a *WHEN*.

On that note, I am working on incorporating teleporters into my 1v1 builds for faster flanking and more flexible defenses. So they better NOT be nerfed with higher resource costs.

The turtle problem can be solved other ways.

I like Halleys, personally.
  20. thetdawg3191

the use of haileys is completely dependent on IF there is a throwable planet, however.