MOTD or server banner

Discussion in 'Monday Night Combat PC Dedicated Server Discussion' started by gioccher, January 20, 2011.

1. gioccher

gioccher New Member

communities need a way to publicize themselves to gather members, give voice server address, have feedback/report cheaters in their forums...
    Is there a way to show a "message of the day" chosen by the server owner, and/or a server banner when the players connect?
    Timed chat messages would be handy too.
  2. jeeringsole

jeeringsole New Member

Timed chat messages usually aren't supported by games directly, but pop up in admin mods/plugins and who knows if this game will have that.

But I do agree, MOTD's/banners need to be in place.
  3. dustoff

dustoff New Member

Yea motd would be nice , right now I just make sure the website address is in the host name or server name. maybe people will jump to the site .

I try to keep the site updated as to status of the servers and provide a forum for problems as well as links to the voice servers.

I think most people just play the game and if they have problems with one server they just move to another.
  4. longshot902

longshot902 New Member

I agree MOTD and server banner would be nice features to have. Don't get me wrong, I love hosting the servers for free, but it does cost me something to do it. I pay for faster internet and IP addresses so have some kinda "server identification" would hopefully encourage players to look beyond the game and direct their attention to my other paid services. (That or maybe some donations - who knows...)
  5. dustoff

dustoff New Member

Same thing here , I enjoy hosting servers but a lot of people dont think it cost anything to it.

Hopefully motd will be in the game soon.
  6. longshot902

longshot902 New Member

There is a lot of space that can be shrunk at the bottom of the page if you condense a few things. It's just an idea and some that I hope Uber will look into for future updates - as of know I do appreciate the effort they have done so far.

PS - please forgive my photoshopping skills - I am not very good. lol

EDIT: I uploaded another possible idea for the dedicated server MOTD/hosting banner.

Attached Files:

Last edited: January 21, 2011
  7. jeeringsole

jeeringsole New Member

^Your skills are good enough to look legit enough.

As far as donations, your probably not getting donations just because you run the server, and have an motd. EVL gaming has about 230 members, and we take in usually enough money to keep things running. You have to do more than offer a server to get donations. Gotta stand out :D
  8. Mibuwolf

Mibuwolf New Member

Dustoff does stand out if you ask me... :roll:

Last I checked his servers fill up 1/5th of the list? :?:
  9. longshot902

longshot902 New Member

Thanks for the comment.
    I would agree, donations are hard to come by unless you have a clan/team that is heavily supportive of your efforts. EVL gaming is just that - therefore support should be easier for you. (lucky)

However, I feel that mentally, having your name/servers noticed by players is huge. Uber will have to decide on this, but I feel that it should be something to consider. Besides, i'm a poor college student, I need all the publicity I can get. lol

dustoff is pretty crazy. It was enjoyable on the last server browser, before this smaller text version, to see all of his servers on one page. Made me lol
  10. jeeringsole

jeeringsole New Member

I suppose that's true, but how do you know who runs the server? I'm pretty sure it says "dedicated" as the hostee' if your not running it as a listen server.

It is much easier to get folks to donate if you have a large group. Today is EVL's 1 year anniversary as well, which is quite rare these days, since most groups are ran by 13-15 year olds who usually get mad and destroy the group.

We have maybe 6-7 source game servers + minecraft + 2 MNC servers, and out of the thousands of people who visit our servers and play on them, only about 10 regulars donate on a consistent basis, which barely gets us by our costs.

We're also looking to upgrade up to a dual core, 4-8gb of ram machine, but who knows.

No it's not cheap. I probably spent 400-500 myself on this group in the first 4-5 months. >_<
  11. dustoff

dustoff New Member

These are running as a true dedicated server I was just able to get the host name to work as I posted in another forum.

I dont care about donations , its not why I do this , I enjoy providing servers and can afford the cost to keep two quadcore machines running. Although I have received a few basicly just enough to cover 90% of the first server box in Chicago.

If I was not running these server I would be runing other servers. I threw up so many so that people will have a place to play and second once I start seeing a trend on what servers stay full I will adjust. I use the host name mainly so if people have problems with the servers the know what website to come too.
  12. longshot902

longshot902 New Member

I think this comes back to why I wish MOTD/hosting banners were used. Uber is super busy trying to fix errors and maintain their game. It also allows people to contact, like dustoff mentioned, the right host to address network complications.
  13. dustoff

dustoff New Member

I think we will see that soon enough . I know they are working on the webadmin thing too.