Uber Just Can't Seem to Patch Properly on Mac – Game Unplayable

Discussion in 'Support!' started by brianpurkiss, January 17, 2014.

1. SXX

SXX Post Master General

I doubt it's required because I totally sure devs know why shader compilation failed. Something like auto-disable for HDR/FXAA will be more useful for situation when shaders are failed to compile.
    maxpowerz likes this.
  2. maxpowerz

maxpowerz Post Master General

Still there are many systems like some ATI/Intel systems that suffer fails but it doesn't show in game.
    Lots of people maybe getting fails and not noticing too, so dev's wont get feed back on some systems.
  3. garat

garat Cat Herder Uber Alumni

Right now, there are two solutions to this problem. I have more details now.

This "problem" may not be fixed. Because the problem is caused by something outside of our control. It's due to lack of support in a lot of versions of OS/X for OpenGL 3.x +.

Options to people running into this problem:
    - Upgrade to Mavericks: It's free, you should just do it if it's an option.
    - Disable HDR. This break is due to HDR, and the fact that 1.x / 2.x OpenGL does all sorts of bad things.

We may have more options in the future, but right now, these are the ways to fix this. Apple chooses to not update their OpenGL support except on major point releases, so I believe only 10.9 (and possibly 10.8) have the necessary support. I'm assuming most people running into this either are on 10.7, or are running hardware that simply doesn't have any 3.x+ OpenGL support.

Please let me know if this is hitting elsewhere, as it may require additional investigation if so, but.. we're _fairly_ certain about this. :)
  4. brianpurkiss

brianpurkiss Post Master General

Disabling HDR fixed it for me.
  5. garat

garat Cat Herder Uber Alumni

That is indeed the easy fix. :)
  6. brianpurkiss

brianpurkiss Post Master General

Makes me sad though. HDR is sexy.
    drz1 likes this.
  7. maxpowerz

Attached Log-file for Intel HD 4000 in windows 8,
    Lots failing still..
    (edit) FXAA is only one i care about.

I can fix it so FXAA works on my intel.

Attached Files:

8. maxpowerz

This build
    Playing @ 1280x720 with HDR on and sub-sampling set to 50% (in game resolution -2)
    my screen goes white,
    it worked fine with in game resolution set to -1 or higher.

Extra note, in the last build with HDR on i had bloom bleeding in from the outer edge of my screen when looking toward the sun, like the offscreen effect was being drawn around the edge of my display bleeding inward or on the opposite side to where the main bloom effect was happening on screen..
  9. aeonsim

aeonsim Active Member

We are seeing this on Mavericks (10.9.1, AMD 6770M), seeing even on Mavericks PA uses OpenGL 2.1.

Are you planning to shift to openGL3.1 for those systems that do support it at some point? It's a little bit irritating having to change graphics options every few builds so hopefully by release this will be more stable.
    maxpowerz likes this.
  10. Alphasite

Alphasite Active Member

Looking at the OGL compatibility tables (on apples dev centre, i can't post the link here.), at the very least the game should expect OGL 3.2 support in the mac drivers. Every mac comparable with 10.7.5 has supported that profile, with even 10.6.3+ supports OGL 3.0 fully (and 3+ partially). Windows has top notch feature support, and linux is a bit more hit and miss, but still at the same level

Frankly, the pool of hardware capable of running this game is a subset of the hardware running OGL 3+, so I dont actually understand why you guys have limited your self to such an old version of OGL, Windows and Linux both have roughly equal (or greater) levels of support for OGL at this point as well.
  11. SXX

SXX Post Master General

Unfortunately declared OpenGL support not always represent actual bug-free support especially on AMD hardware.

I make little research and I guess main issue with both Mac OS X and Linux open source drivers it's lack of GL_ARB_compatibility. E.g on OS X OpenGL 2.1 context will be created and for Linux FOSS drivers it's 3.0.

Obviously application can create OpenGL 3.X context but only if it's application will request that and obviously such context won't have backwards compatibility for removed features that Uber possible use for older GPUs.

So guess there two things Uber can do:
    1. Maintain two (or more) versions of code depends on supported OpenGL version.
    2. Drop support for hardware without OpenGL 3.1 support.
      I guess it's 3.1 because shaders using advanced instancing use GLSL 1.4
    So I guess it's just tough choice and supporting of tons of different hardware/platforms just not as easy as we want. :(
    Last edited: January 18, 2014
    maxpowerz likes this.