We're Doing A LiveStream today! Drop Your Q's Here.

Discussion in 'Planetary Annihilation General Discussion' started by BradNicholson, January 17, 2014.

1. BradNicholson

BradNicholson Uber Employee Uber Alumni

John (scathis) is going to join us for a livestream today that revolves around the game's latest update and all the changes we've made -- and have planned for the future. If you have a question for us, feel free to post it!

Details on the stream (1PM PST) are below:

[​IMG]

Hey, guys! We’ve got a lot of great news to share. Yesterday, we released a HUGE update to Planetary Annihilation that not only changed the way the game feels, but introduced new units, new mechanics, and new features. And today, we’re going to talk about all of this in-depth in a brand new livestream at 1PM PST. We’ve got some more details on that just below.

Let’s talk about this update first. Over the last couple of weeks, the Planetary Annihilation team has been promising new units and a much more furious pace to the game’s action. This is just the first of several updates we’re delivering on this with.

The list is of what’s new in this update is exhaustive. We’ve added new fabricators that travel with your armies and heal units. We’ve added a new “gunship” flying unit. We’ve ratcheted the speed of factory output. We’ve also added the game-changing teleporter, which allows your armies to travel seamlessly between worlds. These new units and balance changes are works-in-progress, but we think all of this, in addition to the core that has been around since alpha, makes for an exciting, high-octane experience. Let us know what you think, too, as you play.

These additions aren’t all that this update has to offer — for instance, we’ve expanded on area commands and have started re-tooling orbital. The full patch notes are available in this link, and we highly suggest you check them out before playing. There’s a lot of new, great stuff.

Another great way to learn about this update? Watch our livestream today! On this Friday, at 1PM PST (4PM EST), we’ll be showing off this build and diving into a discussion about the new balance changes, our design philosophies, and where we’re going with the game. It’ll be a blast, and we hope you can join us.

WHERE: twitch.tv/uberentertainment

WHEN: 1PM PST

We’ll see you guys later today! In the meantime, boot up the new build and enjoy.
  2. drz1

drz1 Post Master General

First off, great job, I'm really excited to get some extensive time with this update tonight with a friend or two of mine. NExt, what's top on your "to-do" list now that you've shipped this update? Thanks.
  3. iron420

iron420 Well-Known Member

I have some questions:
    • What plans are in the works to add depth to base building?
    • Are there changes coming to the way nukes and anti-nukes interact (such as additional ways to intercept them, for instance)?
    • Are we able to get a full list of unit roles, if not units themselves, that will be present at launch?
    • Which structures, when built on water, will be underwater / on the surface once the sub-marine layer is implemented?
    • Any news on when we will get Gas Giants or improvements on water / desert world generation?
    • Can you give more detail on the offensive capabilities planned for metal worlds and how players will activate and use them?
  4. cwarner7264

cwarner7264 Moderator Alumni

Question for the livestream:

You've said that you're "re-tooling" Orbital - what further changes do you have planned here and how do you envisage they will change Orbital gameplay from its current form?
    drz1 likes this.
  5. LeadfootSlim

LeadfootSlim Well-Known Member

Currently air units can't go through teleporters. This has the effect of air strategies trading away the ability to move fluidly between planets for the ability to move fluidly across a single planet.

Do you like this as a tradeoff, or are air units planned to be teleportable?
    iron420 likes this.
  6. thetrophysystem

thetrophysystem Post Master General

As much as every tryhard feels air is important, from a technical standpoint ALL units should be able to transverse teleporters except unless a specific reason barring said unit is provided (such as commander and using the micro of it to peck or provide infinite safety between dimensions)

The other question, is whether or not the teleporters should be the same, or seperate ones built so only that unit type can cross but one is available for land sea and air (orbital?)
  7. shootall

shootall Active Member

Is the slowing down of naval move speeds intended and if so, what is the plan behind it?
  8. azimuttheut

azimuttheut New Member

Any news from Howard ?
    allister, cwarner7264 and drz1 like this.
  9. Teod

Teod Well-Known Member

nanolathe and FXelix like this.
  10. drz1

drz1 Post Master General

Yes please, orchestral soundtrack imminent?!
  11. YourLocalMadSci

YourLocalMadSci Well-Known Member

In the original Kickstarter video, asteroid bombardment didn't just wipe out everything on the planet. It removed the planet itself as a usable place by rendering it a molten ball of rock.

Was this artistic license, or is it eventually intended for asteroids to remove parts of the playing field? Is there any plan to make an asteroid more or less destructive depending upon its size?
    Ortikon, FXelix and iron420 like this.
  12. nixtempestas

nixtempestas Post Master General

are there any plans to give us more direct control of visuals on planets such as brightness levels of day/night?

I can lower the ambient light levels in the .json files to darken night and other such fiddling. This is annoying though, and I have yet to find a way to lower the brightness of day time to any significant degree, since I find day on some biomes to be annoyingly bright with HDR on.

If there are no immediate plans, can we have some?
  13. nanneraircraft

nanneraircraft New Member

Question, when should we expect a new patch that fixes some major bugs like the new tanks not working. Also I am getting horrible network lag so after the match starts progressing I literally can not do anything. So I won't be able to play until that's fixed
    iron420 and stormingkiwi like this.
  14. hahapants

hahapants Active Member

Will naval ships be given radar/sonar to more effectively utilize their ranged weapons?

Are there any more details to divulge about alternate power sources; solar, wind, etc.?
    Last edited: January 17, 2014
    iron420 likes this.
  15. Arachnis

Arachnis Well-Known Member

Question:

With the new teleporters, the game has changed drastically. Now that interplanetary combat is possible and actually being played, new issues arise. With multiple planets under their control in the end-game, players/teams will have a really hard time spending all their metal. We're playing around with way more ressources than before, and keeping up with the necessary production to spend all of it can get quite tedious.

So are there plans to implement units/structures that act as big ressource-sinks? Is Uber aware/do they see it as a problem? What are their plans on solving that issue?
    iron420 likes this.
  16. nanolathe

nanolathe Post Master General

How relevant are early units going to be against lategame units throughout the game?

Are we expecting a flat-balanced 'Basic' and 'Advanced' split that's been talked about at length on the forums (though only briefly mentioned in a livestream or two) or is it tier defined like SupCom, but with less of a gap between the two power levels? A mix of the two like TA?

Specifically, I'm interested in the general idea behind Advanced units, and any unifying feature they would all share that would make them play differently to Basic units. That goes for all unit types, including economic buildings and defensive towers.
    Last edited: January 17, 2014
  17. canadiancommander

canadiancommander Member

drz1 and iron420 like this.
  18. valheria

valheria Active Member

I am currently limited to how big my matches are with the AI due to my internet connection of 2mb as i discovered today. The game almost completely stopped due to the amount of stuff going on.. So i had to make a much smaller game.. Is PA still going to work offline in the future and not rely so much on the Uber servers so that i can enjoy stupidly massive matches later on? and how is work on performance progressing from your point of view?

p.s I know it's the internet connection as i use a network meter to monitor bandwidth in real time : )
  19. Pendaelose

Pendaelose Well-Known Member

Are there any plans to add a rearm/refuel or other dependency on aircraft?

Are there any plans for invading planets using air or naval units? Or possibly another means of invading water planets?

Are there any plans to diversify gameplay between different planet types?
  20. menchfrest

menchfrest Active Member

The unit cannon and transports have been suggested to be in the works, where are they in the process(i.e. Needing engine work or animation or models, etc. NOT ASKING FOR ETA!)? What additional types of transports besides that in game are currently envisioned(i.e. air/space/water, single/few/many unit carrier)?
    drz1 and hahapants like this.