Uber Just Can't Seem to Patch Properly on Mac – Game Unplayable

Discussion in 'Support!' started by brianpurkiss, January 17, 2014.

1. brianpurkiss

brianpurkiss Post Master General

Last edited: January 17, 2014
  2. thetrophysystem

thetrophysystem Post Master General

Ouch. Hoping there is a hotfix for this soon for your sake.

Admittinly, there are mac features the devs haven't/don't even touch yet, and there are patches they always seem to have to go over again for mac to work. Maybe they do need to dedicate one poor fool to playtest on Mac in internal builds, Linux seems to build itself so no need there. If metabolic or garat were forced to play builds on Mac, they might should definitely work on release lol, theoretically.
  3. brianpurkiss

I would be more than willing to test the game on Mac for build releases, since they don't seem to do that.
  4. thetrophysystem

Yeah, but protocols and NDA and...

...Well, pitch that to them anyway. Maybe Meta or Garat don't want to use mac, and will actually rather you do it.
  5. brianpurkiss

Worth a shot right?

It's not like I don't spend anytime investing in Planetary Annihilation or anything. :)
    Arachnis and drz1 like this.
  6. elitedanzel

elitedanzel Active Member

mattposs posted in the bug that disabling HDR fixes it. Maybe fiddle with your graphics settings?
  7. maxpowerz

maxpowerz Post Master General

Can you find your current PA log file, and post the here as an attachment.

It'll help show what shaders are failing when the game runs :)
    i might be able to make an interim fix.

Try with both HDR and Anti-Aliasing off
  8. cwarner7264

cwarner7264 Moderator Alumni

Btw I think Garat generally plays on a Mac. He prefers them anyway. I'd be surprised if there isn't something you can do your side to get it to work.
  9. SXX

SXX Post Master General

Check what maxpowerz posted, I guess it's likely HDR problem and log file will be pretty useful.
  10. guzwaatensen

guzwaatensen Active Member

or he just hasn't your exact type of mac, with my iMac everything seems in order (judging from a 30 sec boot up before going to work)
  11. mrqasq

mrqasq Member

"You're opening it wrong", - Steve*

*sorry, couldn't help myself!
  12. wondible

wondible Post Master General

It's not every mac - It's running on my maxed-out 13-inch late 2013 Air. Now, I've got graphics turned down to low to make it playable on medium sized games, and performance has only gotten worse with the latest build, but it does run.
  13. aeonsim

aeonsim Active Member

Log file has been added to the Bug report.
  14. garat

garat Cat Herder Uber Alumni

Compat testing on Apple is about as much of a pain now as it is on Windows, due to all the variants, OS supported, drivers, video chips, etc.

We'll investigate, but as has already been stated, things will slip through. We will never catch every problem.
    Arachnis likes this.
  15. SXX

SXX Post Master General

It's looks like post_glow.fs just need post_hdr_average.fs to work properly and post_hdr_average.fs need GLSL 1.4 (OpenGL 3.1) while on Mac only 2.1 core profile used.
  16. garat

garat Cat Herder Uber Alumni

Ah, shader compile issue. That actually explains a lot. It will, however, also make for a pretty easy fix!
  17. thetrophysystem

Jesus SXX, why are you able to just stare at it good for 2-3 minutes and produce detailed reason why anything happens?

If I could do that, I would literally move to Seattle, Washington and put my application in. You are so immensely useful!

EDIT: Deleting my post_glow.fs and running my game showed no immediate problems with launching and starting a match. If it doesn't cause crash, and it does cause problems if it runs, then does that mean one could delete post_glow or post_hdr_average? One could use the simple search feature on any OS to find them. Trying to make myself useful and provide an immediate solution to tie one over to the hotfix
    Last edited: January 17, 2014
    Raevn likes this.
  18. maxpowerz

I talked about this with varrak,
    When the game runs but shaders fail you get no feedback your end.
    Is it possible to add a check to the pa.exe so if shaders fail it uploads a pa log file to you guys?
    Similar to crash upload but only when shaders fail not on game crash, as shader fails happen more often than game crashes.
  19. SXX

SXX Post Master General

I read logs and mans. It's actually pretty easy to check what features available in GLSL 1.2 which Mac version can use.
    Usually very small programming skill required to remove some deprecated stuff.

As long as I understand Uber don't have time to support different code for tons of hardware/drivers and there is many Macs that don't have proper support for anything except OpenGL 2.1 so for compatibility PA uses it. I guess this will be improved in future.

I'm far away from USA and don't really have skill set required for gamedev job I might want. Doing something I don't like it's not something I want to spend my time on. I'd better support projects I like in time when I free of other tasks. :D

What for you delete them, are you playing on Mac? Then you can just disable HDR in settings.

Or try to use patched shaders from my comment on bugtracker: PA#2949
    I'm not sure, but most likely they'll work on Mac as well.
    maxpowerz likes this.
  20. maxpowerz

The pa log file gives good detailed explanations on why the shaders fail.
    It's easy enough to understand and even fix some issues just from reading that log file :)
    SXX and I both do our own shader fixes to get HDR and Anti-Aliasing and some other related shaders to stop throwing out errors.

I think we narrowed it down to the mixed standards being used.

Edit... Ninja'd by SXX