Server side?

Discussion in 'Backers Lounge (Read-only)' started by Ash3000k, January 6, 2014.

1. Ash3000k

Ash3000k Member

Hi,
    Cant seem to find the answer to this one, but does anyone know when we can get hold of the server side software to host our own servers?

Is there any sort of feature list of what we can do with it once available?

Cheers,
    Ash
  2. dionytadema

dionytadema Active Member

not until the release

but when we get it we can do anything with it:
    • modding
    • hosting
    • reverse engineering
    • play on lan
    • host ridicules big game (100+ players)
  3. Ash3000k

Ash3000k Member

thanks, will we be able to add our servers to ubers server pool so that it will be listed for everyone on their lobby or will it be completely separate entity?
  4. cwarner7264

cwarner7264 Moderator Alumni

You might find this thread useful:

https://forums.uberent.com/threads/confirmed-features-list-2-0.44950/

It remains to be seen how Uber will approach Official vs. Unofficial vs. Modded servers in the lobby, but Uber have said that they want to give server operators as much flexibility as possible.
    Ash3000k likes this.
  5. rippsblack

rippsblack Member

Does anyone have any idea what the base requirements for the server will be? thinking of setting up my own server, Its not going to be a huge server like some people wish for (100+ players, I don't even know a 100 people, let alone a hundred friends :p)

Maybe something that could support about 10-15 players at one time and allot of AI for when I get wicked sick at the game :p ( I'll never be that good, but I can dream right? ;) )
  6. cwarner7264

None. There is absolutely no detail for this that is public knowledge - I'd assume because it's all so subject to change.

Do bear in mind, though, that currently Uber's official servers can host 8 simultaneous 10-player games without too much hassle. I'm not sure what the specs for those are, though.

If I had to guess, I'd think that a standard PA server would probably be similar or cheaper than a Minecraft server. That is completely unsubstantiated, and I may be completely wrong - just trying to help.
  7. rippsblack

rippsblack Member

Thanks for the timely response :)

Was very helpful :)
    cwarner7264 likes this.
  8. SXX

SXX Post Master General

Main requirement for PA server is outgoing bandwidth. Currently each player use up to 2mbps, but Uber want to keep it as low as possible. I guess even they implement some awesome optimizations you'll need at least 1mbps per player if we talk about normal game and not some commander-only battle.

More people = more units = more bandwidth.

PS: For example in UK most of ADSL users only have 2-3mbps upload even if their download speed is 7-12mbps. Such players obviously won't able to host any game.
  9. rippsblack

rippsblack Member

I'm not worried about my own local bandwidth as I have fibre (not the best but good enough)
    http://www.speedtest.net/my-result/3236625188

With the server I will pay for the best I can get in terms of bandwidth, storage and system power.
    I have no intentions of hosting the game on my local network if that's what you think I was talking about.
  10. arthursalim

arthursalim Active Member

Personally i would like to see a game that endure days with real politics in many huge planets

What? i have the right to dream
  11. rippsblack

rippsblack Member

I'm not worried about my own local bandwidth as I have fibre (not the best but good enough)
    http://www.speedtest.net/my-result/3236625188

With the server I will pay for the best I can get in terms of bandwidth, storage and system power.
    I have no intentions of hosting the game on my local network if that's what you think I was talking about.
  12. cwarner7264

I believe that will be Galactic War, when it comes out. Certainly on the clan-based version of that I bet there will be some politics involved.
  13. Ash3000k

Ash3000k Member

I have a home vmware server sitting waiting for a new PA server host! cant wait!

Its spec is:
    HP Gen8 Microserver
    SPEC: 16GB ecc ddr3 1600 ram, Xeon e3-1265L v2 quad core with HT
    STORAGE: RAID0 2x WD RED HDD 2TB sata 6gb/s, 1x Samsung 830 SSD 128GB 6gb/s (host cache)
  14. SXX

SXX Post Master General

As you see you only have 10mbps upload and if bandwidth usage stay as it's now that's will barely enough 4-5 players.
    Unfortunately in UK you just can't get better upload rate for any reasonable money.

It's will be much cheaper to rent dedicated server than pay for bandwidth in UK.
  15. rippsblack

rippsblack Member

16. SXX

SXX Post Master General

Sorry, completely missed this line :oops:
    thetrophysystem and rippsblack like this.